International Development

Remove this Banner Ad

Cantebury NZ is getting an new 25,000 seat stadium (construction start 2022, opening 2024) - which will hopefully be cricket (and therefore footy) sized. Anyone know if it will be?

Oval wasnt even considered.

Fantastic day of footy out in Bundoora yesterday.

Team Italy won Div 1, Noah Balta's Team Croatia won Div 2 and the ladies was won by the World team.

What’s going on in your home town with the Western Springs redevelopment? When they were initially talking about that they said they wanted to get AFL games there in the winter

It looks to have stopped. Would be the ideal venue to play at. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Apart from being in Christchurch and not Auckland.
Auckland is the biggest city, they tried Wellington and got crowds of 10-20k in a city of 400k and that’s not bad.

I have a lot of kiwi mates and when they come to Melbourne first thing they do is go to the Aussie Rules

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They got 25k first up but then dropped. Still good for a miserable wet & windy city of 400k.
Look I am not disagreeing with you at all. There is an appetite for Aussie Rules in NZ even if it’s not a main stream sport plus their is an appetite from the Auckland council to boost tourism. If the Auckland stadium was built it would have been a great venue to go to, I was keen to check it out when I saw the design

Look I am not disagreeing with you at all. There is an appetite for Aussie Rules in NZ even if it’s not a main stream sport plus their is an appetite from the Auckland council to boost tourism. If the Auckland stadium was built it would have been a great venue to go to, I was keen to check it out when I saw the design

I am not disagreeing with you.
Auckland is a big city with the most AFLs. It is the natural base for an AFL side,
but that doesn't mean that all games should be played there.
The odd game in Christchurch and Wellington would be good promotion plus concentrating the games in Auckland.

If the AFL played a game or two in Churchchurch with a good result then that would pressure on the Auckland situation.

If the AFL played a game or two in Churchchurch with a fantasic result then go ahead.

I am not disagreeing with you.
Auckland is a big city with the most AFLs. It is the natural base for an AFL side,
but that doesn't mean that all games should be played there.
The odd game in Christchurch and Wellington would be good promotion plus concentrating the games in Auckland.

If the AFL played a game or two in Churchchurch with a good result then that would pressure on the Auckland situation.

If the AFL played a game or two in Churchchurch with a fantasic result then go ahead.
The issue with Christchurch is they need a ground that can hold AFL matches the cricket stadium there is a few uncovered stands a pavilion and the rest is a hill. In the South Island in the middle of winter I don’t think that’s an attractive proposition for the AFL. If the old Jade Stadium still stood then they could hold games there

seems more like an advertisement for r.l.

I am a fan of both codes, but footy is my first and foremost love (I prefer soccer to league too, all things considered). The interviews are all with footy players, but you have to understand just how massive league is in PNG - it was actually going to have more of a 50/50 split of content, including with interviews, but Justin Olam was unavailable in a reasonable time frame and Zimmorlei was.

The passion for league was meant to add some context to how locals feel about sport and another challenge/opportunity for these youngsters and their peers. I'm sorry if it seems like it was just spruiking :shrug:

I am a fan of both codes, but footy is my first and foremost love (I prefer soccer to league too, all things considered). The interviews are all with footy players, but you have to understand just how massive league is in PNG - it was actually going to have more of a 50/50 split of content, including with interviews, but Justin Olam was unavailable in a reasonable time frame and Zimmorlei was.

The passion for league was meant to add some context to how locals feel about sport and another challenge/opportunity for these youngsters and their peers. I'm sorry if it seems like it was just spruiking :shrug:

Growing the game Internationally means you come across people who don't have Aussie Rules as their first love. I've read some of it and well done, will read the rest later.

Growing the game Internationally means you come across people who don't have Aussie Rules as their first love.

I have travelled the world and met hundreds of people who now have Aussie Rules as the number one love.
It's about people who now have Aussie Rules as the number one love and a few people who don't.

I have travelled the world and met hundreds of people who now have Aussie Rules as the number one love.
It's about people who now have Aussie Rules as the number one love and a few people who don't.

The heart is a wonderful thing. Full of love and warmth for all those who choose to use it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back