Universal Love Humble pie with a side of egg on face - Premiership edition - omnomomnomom

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve posted some dumb s**t about certain individuals who are now Premiership players and officials. These are my apologies. [/Law & Order sting]

BBB - thought you were a massive soft****. Even if you are, you’re a massive premiership key forward soft****.

Brayshaw - FMD, what a Grand Final performance! You can kick it oof on the left and get 5 touches a game for the rest of your career now for all I care.

Fritsch - ******* slick six Fritsch. Shine on you greedy bastard!

Gawn - I think that halfway through the Geelong round 23 game I might’ve posted that you were the worst captain in the league. Boy o boy wowee - I should probably just delete my account.

Goodwin - never thought we’d get there with you at the helm and frankly thought your insane burblings about learnings, journeys, DNA, brand and woozy wazi were the ravings of a deranged lunatic. Perhaps they were but at the very least you’re a deranged lunatic and MFC Premiership coach.

Jackson - when we first picked you I thought we were all such jerks but now I’ve come to love your quirks. This guy could be anything and probably already is. I remember going on some psychotic rant about how we were mad to pick up a project ruckman/KPP/basketball convert at 3 when we desperately needed some outsidespeedandclass (TM). I was happy to concede being wrong based on what I saw last year but this season has probably been the best from a Rising Star since Buckley/Judd.

Lever - was never against the salary and draft picks yielded at the time but after the knee reconstruction even last year I thought it could turn out to be a bust. Just a fantastic season!

May - I wasn’t a huge fan of the Hogan deal initially and you tested a lot of any requisite goodwill by turning up out of shape and being injured most of 2019. But, the best fullback in the AFL for the last two years, played the GF with a ripped hamstring and still laid some big hits early when the game was hot. Enjoy a million beers in the off-season, legend!

McDonald - thought you were cooked, an important role player in a premiership season. Well played sir.

Neal-Bullen - wasn’t a fan of you even in 2018. But you’re arguably the most important player in our forward line

Oliver - I ******* hated your 1m handballs into traffic and one way running. Now you are tackling well, using your legs and kicking flat passes inside 50. There’s living up to your potential and then there’s taking the piss out of sad trolls like me - well done, Clarence.

Pert - I still think you’re a bit of a campaigner but signing our premiership coach for a 4 year deal as your first move was 5D chess, idiot savant stuff. The first premiership CEO in our history? Kudos!

Petracca - gone from a little bit of a plodder (given your talent) to top 5 player in the comp in 20 & 21. From a slow, waddling HFF who would drift in and out of games to a dynamic, explosive mid who still kicks snags

Petty - stepped up big time when Tomlinson went down. Full faith in you to lead the backline when Lever and May finish up. Not sure I would’ve said that a year ago

Salem - I thought you were the quintessential MFC since 93, 100 + gamer - a guy who had a lot of talent but would never amount to much more than a nice player. Over the past 2-3 years you’ve proved that wrong. That first quarter in the GF will live long in memory - poise under pressure, nailing tackles and cutting of their kicks forward with strong marking. Probably would’ve won the Norm if Trac and Fritsch didn’t have worldies.

Spargo - I love you DJ shitboy!

Sparrow - from inside mid #637 on the list to Mr. September Jnr. Awesome stuff!

Viney - Mr. September, sorry I ever doubted you.

Definitely had similar feelings about Gawn as captain at times. Especially when he'd be beaten by hacks like Pittonet or Longer. Really great leader now.

ANB I loved in '18, but wanted to delist/trade the last couple of years. What a fool.

Trac I think I really was hard on early days. Seemed very flakey and inconsistent. Never thought he'd get to these heights. Could probably dig up some posts of me arguing for him to be traded circa 2017/18.

Like everyone I've had some serious doubts about Goody. Never thought we'd be this consistent (and consistently good!) with him at the helm.

I was annoyed when we paid so much for Lever and used a high draft pick on May, I though ‘forwards win you flags’ and felt we we needed to kick more goals to win more games of footy.

Turns out I know nothing about footy and how we went and built the best defensive structure in the league is a massive reason we did what we did.

Also potter Sparrow earlier this season, thought Petty looked like Omac, they were both brilliant.

Feel like we'd be saying similar things about Jayden Hunt if he hadn't gone down with injury. His career looked to have stagnated but he played some good footy this year. Hope he gets his chance in 2022.

Yeah I’ve secretly, or not always secretly, thought Goody was at best a bland, repetitive, uninspiring plod and at worst a dangerous lunatic.

I still am hanging onto these views to some extent, but have discovered that bland, repetitive, uninspiring, dangerous lunatics can be premiership coaches so happy to report that I’m okay with him now.

Didn't want Jackson at 3 - I wanted Young or Serong as they seemed more complete footballers and didn't think we were in a position to take a risk given we'd just come 2nd last. I couldn't see how we would develop him or how he'd make an impact on the team within the timeframes we needed him to. Turns out he didn't even really need ANY developing - just came in and performed as a 18/19 year old ruckman - wild.

I was ready to ship Tmac and ANB off in 2020. Both completely disappointing as senior players in 2019/2020. Both completely turned it around. Love it.

Should never read into Viney's H&A form - just get his foot right before finals and unleash him.

There was times in 2020 where I didn't like how easily Gawn was spilling marks/playing for frees as skip. Didn't see any of that this year and he went from strength to strength as a leader. I think getting Jackson was great for him too - he can trust Dogga to go in the ruck and give him a breather so he doesn't have to do it all himself.

Young is a gun I remember getting pissed off at him round one. I didn't know much about the draft but did buy into the picking a ruckman at pick 3 is very risky, they take a while to develop ect. Came around eventually and a few on here were optimistic. I think previous draft blunders had us all a little worried. Evidently Jackson has shown to be able to do things no one could imagine.

Initially I didn't really want Neeld sacked because I didn't want to go through another rebuild with a new coach. Not that I wanted Neeld all that much, i was just impatient and didn't want to wait another x years for something good to happen.

Initially I didn't really want Neeld sacked because I didn't want to go through another rebuild with a new coach. Not that I wanted Neeld all that much, i was just impatient and didn't want to wait another x years for something good to happen.
I was one of the last to jump off the reality bus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have preferred to use pick 3 on a footballer with good footy IQ and some ability to kick a football but here we are with a project ruckman that's come across from basketball

If you guys think he's going to offer anything in the forward line in 2020-2022 at the earliest then I think you're going to be disappointed. I don't think he's even kicked more than 2 goals in a game of footy this year.

I feel like an AFL standard defender will make him look silly in a marking contest.

Anyway, bring on whack-o-Jacko, may his 'movement through traffic' guide us to a premiership in 2020

o_O

Good thing Jacko got to play on Zaine Cordy, who is not an AFL standard defender, and his 'movement through traffic' ended up guiding us to a premiership in 2021 instead of 2020

I was one of the last to jump off the reality bus.
I also. That first year where we were atrocious and went 4-18 basically only beating the expansion sides, I was drinking the Kool aid thinking that no nonsense Neeld was breaking us to make us. Further, I was in denial about his obvious shortcomings given the metric heck tonne of other crazy s**t going on at the club: 186, Liam Jurrah’s knife party, the death of Jimmy Stynes, Tulip, EnergyWatch, the tanking fiasco rearing it’s ugly head.

The reality bus ran over me in Round 1, 2013 and double reversed in round 2, 2013.

Now we’ve won the flag I love the crazy bastard. If he hadn’t been so breathtakingly incompetent we wouldn’t have got Jackson, Roos and Goodwin. Love ya Neeldy!

Chaplin is the main one for me. Now the coach of arguably the best backline ever in the AFL statistically. Unbelievable.

Brayshaw and Harmes probably the other two. Gus was crazy good on GF Day and his love for the club and his teammates throughout the season turned me around on him. Harmes I'm still not overly convinced but had his moments. I think he's arguably the most replaceable of the 22, but he's an immortal now. So apologies to those three blokes. And i most likely smacked Goody a number of times, particularly 2019, 2020. I just knew that we had a list capable. I'm sorry Goody!

I will say that I backed in Spargo and Petty from day one. And Lingers. Was stoked when we brought him into the club. I'd seen him at Freo and loved his outside run and work ethic. It was exactly what we needed.

Plenty of humble pie for me, I have relentlessly bagged the following:

- Goodwin
- Brayshaw
- Olivers ball use not being damaging
- Viney making us a worse team
- Spargo & ANB (Thought he just wasn't up to it a year ago)

I was a big doubter on Jackson when we drafted him, but as soon as I saw him in a practice match I was already eating my words. Happy to say I backed in May, Lever, Kozzy, Langdon and Rivers from day dot.

Yeah I was ambivalent at best about the May trade when it happened and then ******* livid about it all throughout 2019. Took me a long time even last year to come around to him. Genuinely can't imagine watching games without him now.

Also was of the opinion that we should let Viney go for first round compensation last year. Stupidity of the highest order.

Formal apology to ANB from me. Never in a million years did I think he'd be in our next Premiership side. Totally different player this year.
Nobody deserves a flag more than a fringe player who steps up, improves his game and is a genuine contributer across most of our games and particularly the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back