Player Watch #12: Lachie Hunter – one of our best value trades ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for overpaying in draft picks and giving us some salary cap space.

giphy.gif

Why's Hunter copping stick and Ed Langdon isn't?

Seriously, some of the most softest acts I've seen since Cale Morton was on display by Ed last night. In the last two minutes of the game he had the opportunity to show some desperation inside our forward 50 and just bring the ball to the ground in a marking contest but instead he got out bodied easily and their defender took an easy mark.

He's been incredibly poor this year and that seems to fly under the radar because now everyone seems to get more stuck into Hunter. Refuse to bend down and pick up the footy when it's their to be one or lay any physical pressure on the opposition.

Blake Howes is putting in some strong numbers at VFL level. Not saying Langdon will be dropped because Goodwin wouldn't dare, but he needs to seriously pull his finger out sometime very soon.

Seriously, some of the most softest acts I've seen since Cale Morton was on display by Ed last night. In the last two minutes of the game he had the opportunity to show some desperation inside our forward 50 and just bring the ball to the ground in a marking contest but instead he got out bodied easily and their defender took an easy mark.

He's been incredibly poor this year and that seems to fly under the radar because now everyone seems to get more stuck into Hunter. Refuse to bend down and pick up the footy when it's their to be one or lay any physical pressure on the opposition.

Blake Howes is putting in some strong numbers at VFL level. Not saying Langdon will be dropped because Goodwin wouldn't dare, but he needs to seriously pull his finger out sometime very soon.
Ever since the concussion last year he has been a lot more conservative. Don't blame him. Agree he hasn't been in good touch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Hunter been better than Ed. Langdon has been poor this season.

Agreed. Both have been consistently decent for most of the season, even if not outstanding.

One positive out of this inconsistent season has been we've got the wings sorted. Really weird choice of scapegoats.

Langdon is down on kicks, marks and well down on metres gained compared to his 2021 and 2022 seasons. They would be pretty key stats for him I reckon. Hasn't been terrible, but absolutely needs to lift.

Langdon's numbers for 21 and 22 were likely inflated due to us putting so many plays through him and playing a purely defensive wing on the other side. I don't think he will get those numbers consistently again and that's okay as we are theoretically better balanced with a left footer on the other side who can attack too.

Hunter has been an amazing pick up for the picks given up. He's a very smart player and is one of the better kicks to a lead in our team. Also great at darting it in to a forward at the top of the square on a slow play. Would be top 10 in our BnF. Langdon needs to a lift a little but he's not really the issue. How's he supposed to get ball on the fat side when we just go long to a contest all night and barely change angles?

Langdon's numbers for 21 and 22 were likely inflated due to us putting so many plays through him and playing a purely defensive wing on the other side. I don't think he will get those numbers consistently again and that's okay as we are theoretically better balanced with a left footer on the other side who can attack too.

Hunter has been an amazing pick up for the picks given up. He's a very smart player and is one of the better kicks to a lead in our team. Also great at darting it in to a forward at the top of the square on a slow play. Would be top 10 in our BnF. Langdon needs to a lift a little but he's not really the issue. How's he supposed to get ball on the fat side when we just go long to a contest all night and barely change angles?
Yeah we play very much in straight lines, rarely shift the ball much when we're going forward. Agree our wings have been pretty good for the most part. There's been mistakes that could be ironed out but that's the same with the whole team. For what we paid Hunter has been great.

Yeah that's fair, he's also slightly down on average game time. Just feels like we're missing a bit from him at the moment. Hasn't been the difference between winning or losing though.

No problem, you waste it on spuds like Baker and Hannan anyway
Hunter is a gun & great pick up for you guys.

I think you're being a little rough on Baker. Great character to have around at the club and plays his role really well.

Its unfair to have Hunter on the same list with the other 3. I seriously think a lot of people have amnesia, yeah, few shit moments this week and against GC, but other than that been excellent, well worth what we paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back