History of the SWDFNL and now defunct leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Judging by the comments on my Facebook post here, Dartmoor wore the South Melbourne V until the 90s possibly early 2000s. Weird that they would change to a Diamond Swan. I think that red jumper was probably just a trainer but cheers for sharing that video! BigChippa52

great kit but random chucking blue in, the swans branding is better than the giants would love it back but unsure about if it will come back sadly, would love to see them do a retro kit

I should also include this photo of Winnap.

1708954179791.png
A mate of mine who has frequented footy grounds over the last 10 years went there about 5 years ago and said there was an amazing old fashioned change room. It appears this has been knocked down in recent years but I haven't been able to get in the ground yet.

the club was formed in the 1920's South Melbounre didn't adopt the V until the early 1930s the swans name was adopted around this time also, lets assume that Dartmoor did the same at this time, theres around a ten year gap of unknown kit or idently too old to find out likely, but id say they wore the V from 1932 until 1996 they wore the V and red and white for 6 years then switched to the diamond kit and added blue this was worn until the rebrand in 2014 so that was worn for 14 years, the giants brand was adopted in 2014 and that has been worn and been the club for 10 years

Just went for a trip to visit quite a few of the clubs, hope you enjoy!

Brilliant stuff, Munners! That Westerns ground looked nice. I thought that might have been a Coleraine jumper (maroon & yellow), anyway, you had a good haul at that shop and found a Crows supporter as a bonus! Take care on those roads and watch out for the 'Roos!

Judging by the comments on my Facebook post here, Dartmoor wore the South Melbourne V until the 90s possibly early 2000s. Weird that they would change to a Diamond Swan. I think that red jumper was probably just a trainer but cheers for sharing that video! BigChippa52

I love that jumper...a bit Footscay'ish but it's the Swans! Also, that's a very young Jeremy Cameron, right?

I love that jumper...a bit Footscay'ish but it's the Swans! Also, that's a very young Jeremy Cameron, right?
yeh just the diamond dog kit with the red and white thinner and a swan, after wearing red and white since their formation why did Dartmoor all of sudden decide to add blue to their kits and even make them mainly blue, maybe to not have the same colors as Sandford they had a white base and were red and white, and same with Cavendish being a red base but with white, the blue was nice and it was different for a swans team, just made the league more unique and removed 1 of the 3 teams that wore red and white at the time

yeh just the diamond dog kit with the red and white thinner and a swan, after wearing red and white since their formation why did Dartmoor all of sudden decide to add blue to their kits and even make them mainly blue, maybe to not have the same colors as Sandford they had a white base and were red and white, and same with Cavendish being a red base but with white, the blue was nice and it was different for a swans team, just made the league more unique and removed 1 of the 3 teams that wore red and white at the time
It doesn't really feel like a dogs jumper when they wear it feels uniquely like their jumper and it feels different

Just went for a trip to visit quite a few of the clubs, hope you enjoy!

Thanks for sharing the video munners. Came across some of your videos a few weeks ago. In retrospect I think a couple of still images above may be from you so I hope that's ok. Went looking for the wallacedale football oval but couldn't find it. Also condah has an old oval but you have to call the owner to have a look. Can only see the tennis court in the distance. Have always been interested in where winnaps ground was driving past. My parents house was in this video haha!

I had an old VHS tape of the 1980 grand final I believe held at Dartmoor and Dartmoor Swans were playing in it. They wore south Melbourne white with red V.

I had an old VHS tape of the 1980 grand final I believe held at Dartmoor and Dartmoor Swans were playing in it. They wore south Melbourne white with red V.
Yeah, I have plans to do a folio on Dartmoor don't know why I like the club loved their old identity, just a timeline on kits and maybe logos, what a rebrand back to the swans could be what a change of kits and jumpers, etc just exploring ideas on top of their kit/logo and name and colour time line.

Was I spot on for the reason Blue was introduced keen to know why.

After my current folio, I'll take an unknown known amount of time off to prepare and get others to help me move and find a new editor that's better quality and also get a better template

Thanks for sharing the video munners. Came across some of your videos a few weeks ago. In retrospect I think a couple of still images above may be from you so I hope that's ok. Went looking for the wallacedale football oval but couldn't find it. Also condah has an old oval but you have to call the owner to have a look. Can only see the tennis court in the distance. Have always been interested in where winnaps ground was driving past. My parents house was in this video haha!
Thanks for watching! The Wallacedale ground is now a pony club, not sure if its open to the public but I doubt it so haven't gone there yet.
Condah (Heywood DFL until 1949) looks to be on private land as you said
Greenwald (South Glenelg until 1933) can't find
Milltown (Fitzroy JFA until 1933) can't find
Bahgallah (Glenelg FL until closure in 1969) can't find the original ground, it might be a swamp now from what someone told me but apparently they finished up playing on the Casterton back oval as mentioned in the video.
Myamyn (Heywood DFL until 1929) there's a ground there but it's a gun club now which is probably locked up

There's others around Casterton but anything pre WW2 is hard to find and likely just played in a paddock. If you'd like the Dartmoor VHS to be digitised then I could do that for you.

checked the wiki good to see that Wallacedale and Branxholme were updated will have to look into Winnap, unsure if you can put in that Dartmoor were called the swans, wore red and white then red white, and blue (because I initially struggled to find what they were called before the rebrand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No that I am aware of.
If they were looking for an old-school red, white and blue design that could be one though.

I must say that the blue swan guernsey is one of the most striking and original designs that I have seen.
as stated wore the South Sydney V in red and white until the late 90's when they switched to the blue Swan kit, I reckon they would just wear that It doesn't really clash with anyone if they were to change back it would be red white and blue as cavendish have red and white, but Sandford merged with Casterton (Sandford needs to be represented more in the club sign and in the kits)

I agree with that.
Even if the Sandford guernsey was used for away matches (unless there is a clash with another club).
it would be South but they wear a red kit mainly just juniors may be different if South has two teams in one grade.

Check out my LCFL folio there's some stuff in there you may like.

they need to add Sandford to the signage on the club rooms only thing they have done is make a monogram, make it their logo with a little red then slap it on their kits, both old logos are on the kit but there's no red on the kit really it's in the training kits and polos and etc, I think they should keep the hoops the won premierships in it and the blue they use is different to other cats teams just needs red added, they made the s red on the indigenous kit that's one thing they did still wasn't enough, then there was this unsure if they played in it but it was for the 1990 premiership and apparently Sandford were good at the time and did something as well
1709087280654.png

Westerns changed to the North Melbourne in 1983?..I was President and it was cheaper to buy the VFL jumpers than the old Maroon and yellow V jumpers. Plus they looked a lot more modern. Dartmoor changed from South Melbourne jumpers once Jeremy Cameron started playing with the Giants...in thoe days VFL clubs paid money to players' junior clubs..first game they got so much and the amounts increased for 20 games, 50 games etc. There was a cap on the payments of course.