Opinion Heritage Guernsey

Which jumper should be used for a future heritage round fixture?

• Yellow

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Red

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair shout mate. It'd be pretty a pretty funny meeting - going to the AFL asking if we can wear a cats jumper haha.

I guess my main issue is that the yellow is too washed out. It just doesn't look good to me. Whereas the Southport kit looks super slick. That's just me being Mr. Fashionista though, so take it for what it's worth (which is high end fashion advice ;)).

I hear you. There is something almost mystical about the Sharks jumper and it has been intrinsically linked with Gold Coast footy for over 50 years now. I guess you need to question whether the Suns should recognise the history of Gold Coast football or just the Gold Coast Suns. A heritage jumper is supposed to reflection history and no club is more closely linked to Gold Coast football history than the Sharks. I believe Fremantle have (in the past) recognised the South Fremantle club with a heritage jumper so it isn't a completely foreign concept.

It would be pretty rough not to recognise Southport in some fashion. They dominated the GCAFL and then entered the Brisbane competition and dominated the big boys in Queensland footy. A lot of people hate them (jealousy) but you can't deny their success. On top of that, they have put Gold Coast football on the map for decades. Not to mention how instrumental they were in the creation of GCFC. I'd like to see them recognise the Sharks' contributions to Gold Coast football and wear the their jumper but from a business perspective it's a bad move.

What are the odds of us actually changing the design of our current jumper whenever this contract with 2XU is up? Maybe it was always a long term plan to start off with a really simple and plain design, then once we got up on our feet so to speak, move to a more current or complex design?

Maybe our current jumpers will end up being our heritage ones?

What are the odds of us actually changing the design of our current jumper whenever this contract with 2XU is up? Maybe it was always a long term plan to start off with a really simple and plain design, then once we got up on our feet so to speak, move to a more current or complex design?

Maybe our current jumpers will end up being our heritage ones?

I firmly believe the club added the words "red, gold and blue" to the song for strategic purposes in the future. A fair few Gold Coast teams have worn the blue and gold in the past. Examples:

titans-jersey.jpg

2008+2009+NBL+Portraits+Gold+Coast+Blaze+-6PyoJZzcBzl.jpg

177433hp2.jpg

Something tells me that they will incorporate the blue into the home guernsey in some fashion in the future. Then you compare the Gold Coast with other expansion clubs and how their guernseys have changed over the last ten years, it seems almost certain it will happen.

power.jpg

Port_Adelaide_2011_Guernsey_Front.jpg

$(KGrHqRHJC!FI7cCKQpBBSPZbzGo6!~~60_35.JPG

495719DCBE75DC195FBB30FE4AE8D6B8C8EE4E.jpg

brisbane-lions-jumper1.jpg

Bris%20Lions7.jpg

Seems likely that the red guernsey will become the heritage jumper once they change the design but I'm just not sure when they'll be required to create their first heritage jumper. The five year anniversary of their first game against Southport at Carrara seems fitting to me. They wore the yellow jumper in that game and it coincides with Round 1/2 of the next season.

Home guernsey design had no change coming in the forseeable future, even if we change our logo at the end of 2014, the guernsey basics will stay the same.

We will lose the away guernsey totally and just have a home guernsey and a clash guernsey (which will change design every so often to keep people buying)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never quite worked out why we needed three. Don't even think we need a clash although i do really like the white.

The away should be the opportunity to experiment,I know that SUNS and I would be buying each and every version, tragic as we are. I hope they decide to keep it as it's a point of difference for us. I love the fact the club is innovative with things like
  • the away guernsey
    Poaching Rugby league players
    Carnival atmosphere on game day

You make a lot of sense Matchu. Port being the prime example I think. But yeah, almost every club, certainly 'modern' clubs, have seen a drastic kit change.

There was something that sat really well with me with the colour scheme of GC United and the stadium. It felt kind of... I don't know. Calming? Mystical? Not sure, but it translated really really well on TV I thought. I wouldn't at all be adverse to that type of yellow for a heritage, even though it's not the right one haha.

You make a lot of sense Matchu. Port being the prime example I think. But yeah, almost every club, certainly 'modern' clubs, have seen a drastic kit change.

There was something that sat really well with me with the colour scheme of GC United and the stadium. It felt kind of... I don't know. Calming? Mystical? Not sure, but it translated really really well on TV I thought. I wouldn't at all be adverse to that type of yellow for a heritage, even though it's not the right one haha.

It seems to be that clubs are moving away from the gimmick guernseys and going for a more traditional design. Well, except for the Lions... lol. I can see what you mean about the Gold Coast United jumper and it really contrasting well with the seat colour at Skilled Park. That tone of yellow/gold seemed to go well with the tone of blue that was used in their shorts and also the lower sections of the seating.

Perhaps the Suns have fooled us all and already released their first heritage jumper? I could get crucified here but I was actually a fan of this design...

AFL+Rd+20+Gold+Coast+v+Melbourne+obZJl8XLw5Cl.jpg

If anyone is wondering, this is the type of blue I think the Suns will incorporate in the future.

536635-karmichael-hunt.jpg
Gold+Coast+Training+Session+dZ4XGR_UA0Sl.jpg

Tommy Nicholls looks like a cardboard cutout there.

Amazing how old the photo is.

Back in the VFL days. I think it's more amazing how many of the guys from the VFL year are still at the club. Dixon, Hutchins, Matera, McKenzie, Nicholls, Russell, Shaw, Smith, Stanley, Swallow and Thompson. That's nearly one third of the list!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems to be that clubs are moving away from the gimmick guernseys and going for a more traditional design. Well, except for the Lions... lol. I can see what you mean about the Gold Coast United jumper and it really contrasting well with the seat colour at Skilled Park. That tone of yellow/gold seemed to go well with the tone of blue that was used in their shorts and also the lower sections of the seating.

Perhaps the Suns have fooled us all and already released their first heritage jumper? I could get crucified here but I was actually a fan of this design...
That foundation kit is basically the same though hey? Obviously the names and the logo is a bit different, but...

Mate, that blue is gorgeous! Stunning really. I would love for that to be incorporated.

That foundation kit is basically the same though hey? Obviously the names and the logo is a bit different, but...

Mate, that blue is gorgeous! Stunning really. I would love for that to be incorporated.

Well I suppose my point was that the logo in the middle may be considered the original heritage jumper on the predominantly red guernsey.

The blue is really nice. Pretty close to the old Carlton m&ms jumper...

656298-carlton-039-s-1997-m-amp-m-jumper.jpg

Incorporate that blue with the red/gold and you could have a really nice design. Went looking through some old Bigfooty threads and found some interesting ideas from other posters.

gclogoio1.jpg

An idea for the Sharks logo if they were allowed into the AFL?

ZSx3f.png

A tribute away guernsey to the Sharks?

GCsouthportmemorial.jpg

Or you could just go with the actual Southport jumper.

35hjko6.png

Using the red, gold and blue while also going with a more traditional design.

15ppuuo.png

This is probably my favourite design for a Gold Coast away/clash jumper.

That last one is freaking awesome!

It's great. So far the club designs incorporating blue have been highly average but the possibilities are really vast when you work with a colour palette of red, gold and blue.

Haha those last two are my designs. ;) The last one was more of a joke than a serious design but in the end it actually turned out okay.

If you're going to go down a Southport-esque road then this is one to consider

I made these a while ago, would love to hear what you guys think. All are based on Southport's logo and jumper.

Logo:
gclogo_zpsf741c6b6.png

Home:
gchome_zps6fa14fc2.png

Away/clash:

gcaway_zpsfbc6a086.png

I think this is a great initiative by my club to wear a throwback in round 1 for our 20th AFL anniversary. Check it out:

0MO422K.jpg

Hopefully one day the Gold Coast will have something similar. I know people on here don't really like it but I don't mind the foundation member's guernsey the Suns wear occasionally:

Gold-Coast-Member-2013.gif

Back