Opinion Heritage Guernsey

Which jumper should be used for a future heritage round fixture?

• Yellow

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Red

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If the AFL were to bring back heritage round, what would GCFC wear? Do they go back to where it all began...

image004fuk.jpg

That photo was taken at a practice match in February 2009 when they took on the Southport Sharks at the old Carrara Stadium. You may recognise a young Zac Smith and Rory Thompson among the boys getting a rev up from Bluey. Or do you stick with the current home jumper?

972849-gary-ablett.jpg

I think going with the yellow jumper would give the supporters a sense of history where as the red guernsey is really all they've known.

Yep agree, would like that yellow one as our "heritage" - its our beginning
Wouldn't it be great to see a few people walking around Metricon in it each week? All the other clubs have heritage jumpers and are often worn at games. I saw someone wearing the old Brisbane Bears jumper on Saturday at the QClash and it was a bit surreal to see the jumper players were wearing at Carrara 25 or so years later. The GWS jumper is interesting -

AFL_-_2010.jpg

Very similar to the Western Bulldogs.

Wouldn't it be great to see a few people walking around Metricon in it each week? All the other clubs have heritage jumpers and are often worn at games. I saw someone wearing the old Brisbane Bears jumper on Saturday at the QClash and it was a bit surreal to see the jumper players were wearing at Carrara 25 or so years later. The GWS jumper is interesting -

AFL_-_2010.jpg

Very similar to the Western Bulldogs.
Greater Western Sydney Bulldogs?

anyone know if those 3 fellas are still at gws?
I don't believe so. However, there are a two players that have been there since the TAC Cup for them. These two players are Josh Bruce and Jacob Townsend. They are at a serious advantage considering their zone includes the most southern parts of NSW that border Victoria where Aussie rules has a big following.

If anyone is wondering the Gold Coast has three players that have made the distance from the TAC Cup days; Charlie Dixon, Zac Smith and Rory Thompson.

I don't mean to be patronizing, but heritage round for you guys seems like corking a bottle wine to 10 years to early to be debating heritage round......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute fair call. I just thought there was a pretty strong partnership there.
A lot of people may not know this but the Southport Sharks were extremely instrumental in the creation of the GC17 bid. So much so that the Southport Sharks president Alan McKenzie was a part of the GC17 bid team. They also committed to providing GCFC with an $11 million dollar patron partnership deal. Truth be told, if the Southport Sharks weren't so hated through south east Queensland, GCFC would have definitely been named the Gold Coast Sharks. If you have ever wondered why the Suns continue to hold their events at the Southport Sharks, this is why.

The move was a strategic one to disassociate any bad feelings people had with the Sharks by creating a new brand that everyone could get behind. This is the reason why my club (Port Adelaide) will never overtake the Crows as the most popular team in South Australia. Make no doubt about it though, the Sharks were heavily involved in the creation of GCFC and deserve most of the credit.

In saying all of this though, I think running out with the Sharks jumper on would be a foolish move, especially after everything they have done to not associate with them on field. You have to remember that the Broadbeach Cats (second biggest club on the Gold Coast) have a bitter rivalry with the Sharks and if anyone saw the Suns running out in the Sharks jumper they would surely be turned off by it.

Back