Heathcote District FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not neccessarily bad umpires they are following the rule to a tee sometimes a little to well, you need to vent your anger at the right parties and aim higher..... :rolleyes:. one of the reasons why the interpretations of the push in the back rule have been changed and it is still the push in the back rule just tweeked, is to get rid of all of the fakers because if the defenders hands are out infront going for the ball there should be no prob for the ump. no grunting no dives. no only problem is there is no room for error the backmen must be fast and six foot talk or they lollipop the kick, what gets my goat is that when a bigger bloke like me uses his body to get his oponent under the ball no hand in the back but still gets pinged for pushing out. surely using your body is just a part of the game
You can use you foot and it will be still pushing in the back. If you use your body to push them in the back its a free kick. Sounds to me you dont know the difference between pushing and standing your ground.

Thats fair enough. the umpires are the one who are there to umpire the game and the players are there to play the game. Why should you be able to question the umpires decision? If thats the way he saw it, thats the way he pays it.
Do you have different laws in your world of HDFL too??
don't know how long you have been around footy CD but it is my opinion a good umpire is allmost unnoticed throughout a game, unfortunatly its been a long time since i have been at a game and felt the umpire [ umpires ] have not been overly noticable, good umpires knows the difference between a player being abusive, or being a bit frustrated and generaly know how to deal with them, good umpires know how to interprete the in the back rule with some degree of common sence, as with most rules good umpires can interprete them in a way most supporters can understand may not like but at least understand, sorry but imo most umpires [ not all ] are to much for there own show.

but it is my opinion a good umpire is almost unnoticed throughout a game, unfortunately its been a long time since i have been at a game and felt the umpire [ umpires ] have not been overly noticeable, good umpires knows the difference between a player being abusive, or being a bit frustrated...

Agree totally that good umpires are rarely noticed. Does the HDFL have the "learner" umpires in green like the GV?

Can see why it is frustrating over umpiring games, however I feel for the umpires sometimes. Kids don't want to do it cause they get yelled at by players and supporters, and you need to give people time to become a good umpire. With a lack of umpires, unfortunately you get what you get

None of these were for hands in the back , they were all for supposably holding or wrapping arms around(fighting for front possy.
Plus i had a 50 givin agaisnt for disputing the decision yet i did'nt swear or raise my voice.

I'm just glad i'm at the end of my career and not the beginning.

The umpiring was terible on sat (WH V B). Far to many 50's paid for frees that were not there in the first place. Surely the umpires would know that they are having a bad day when they blow the whistle and both teams look at him wondering who the free is for. On one occasion there was a solid hip and shoulder from opposing players and the whistle was blown for a pus in the back. I assumed it was against me as i was slightly taller and maybe went high but it was for me and for a push. I thought the contest was fair and i think the umpire in question was getting off on having everybody looking at him.:confused:

Thats fair enough. the umpires are the one who are there to umpire the game and the players are there to play the game. Why should you be able to question the umpires decision? If thats the way he saw it, thats the way he pays it.
Do you have different laws in your world of HDFL too??

When I said about the umps threatingto send you off i wasnt reffering to arguing. I ment that if you suggest to them to talk to the other ump so they are conforming to the same rules, not telling them how s**t they are. "Hey ump how come your paying that and the other isnt, you have to be consistant", "dont tell me how to umpire, another word and your off!"

Its hard to play the game when there is 2 types of rules, you shouldn have to change your tactics depending on what end of the ground your on. All i'm asking for is consistancy, if he pays is fair enough but I dont want it not paid in our forward line and then gets paid in the backhalf

On one occasion there was a solid hip and shoulder from opposing players and the whistle was blown for a pus in the back. I assumed it was against me as i was slightly taller and maybe went high but it was for me and for a push. I thought the contest was fair and i think the umpire in question was getting off on having everybody looking at him.:confused:

There u go Pinnacle, even the bigdog08 is sticking up for the old #23 :thumbsu:

I'm not one to usually bag an umpire, without them our great game would'nt exist and they probably don't make as many mistakes as most players do on a saturday arvo but i do think some umpires over umpire the game instead of letting it flow and only pay the obvious.
It's not the decisions they don't pay it's the decision they do pay that has an effect on a game.
One situation that occurs often that needs to be addressed is, for instance, a player has kicked or handpassed the ball forward some meters to a team mate who has moved it on again, as the first player moved the ball on he was struck high or bumped well after he dispossed of it.
So the umpire calls it back and rewards him a free yet the ball has gone forward 80-100meters down the ground.
It would've been more of an advantage to the attacking team if no free was paid so let it go because the umpire has just paid an uneccessary free kick and disadvantage the team that had the ball.
Thats just one example where an ump blows his whistle because he CAN rather than because he should or whether its to the benifit the game.

but possies arnt everything my friend. cam cail might have 35 poss and sweep around all day but then ian kay might of had 22 with 8 hard ball gets and kicked 2 goals and be a lot more valuable.

When I said about the umps threatingto send you off i wasnt reffering to arguing. I ment that if you suggest to them to talk to the other ump so they are conforming to the same rules, not telling them how s**t they are. "Hey ump how come your paying that and the other isnt, you have to be consistant", "dont tell me how to umpire, another word and your off!"

Its hard to play the game when there is 2 types of rules, you shouldn have to change your tactics depending on what end of the ground your on. All i'm asking for is consistancy, if he pays is fair enough but I dont want it not paid in our forward line and then gets paid in the backhalf
Sugar coat it as much as you want its disputing the umpires decision and against the rules of the game. Grow some balls boys take the decision and get on with the game. Why fuel their ego fire? The more you ignore them and get on with the game the less influence they will have.
Mind you, what sort of a bloke say's "I dont want to play I want to umpire". Their a different breed so just let them get on with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok thats your oppinnion but 3 posessions in the last half find it hard for him to be in the top 3 players and read there best in the paper.and best player on the ground in the first half were you forgetting grant weeks was on the ground? also boys anyone else reckon its a joke bluey southcombe continuely makes mention of how many possies his midfielders get in the paper does he think none of the other gun midfielders in the league dont get a kick?

ok mate how many did you get? i know Cheesle Johnston had 27 kicks from his wing, how many for the Bookworm?;)

In my humble opinion, umpires do often get decisions wrong. They get them wrong at every level though.

They get MORE wrong in country footy because many of them are too unfit and slow to get into the right position, because the game is getting faster and faster, even at our level.

In their defence though, they will never get every decision right. It is impossible.

As for the hands in the back rule. A player should never be able to sit his hands in someone's back to "hold their ground". It is a great rule, but players have already worked out a way to abuse it by diving forward, and umps do get sucked in. It all depends on the angle they see the contest.

It's unfortunate, but that's just part our game. We play with a ball that doesn't bounce straight FFS. We are allowed to inflict pain. We get a point for poor disposal. You gotta love footy!!

RWB, how do you reckon the Saints will go this week against the new-look Hawks?

Sugar coat it as much as you want its disputing the umpires decision and against the rules of the game. Grow some balls boys take the decision and get on with the game. Why fuel their ego fire? The more you ignore them and get on with the game the less influence they will have.
Mind you, what sort of a bloke say's "I dont want to play I want to umpire". Their a different breed so just let them get on with it.

I get the feeling that you are indeed an umpire. Most likely a Rochester one. Thats is why you have your finger in every pie ( or thread ). You definatly are a different breed!

I get the feeling that you are indeed an umpire. Most likely a Rochester one. Thats is why you have your finger in every pie ( or thread ). You definatly are a different breed!
Not an umpire Otl. Just dont know what people think they can achieve by talking or questioning the umpire during a game.
Now the combination or umpire and Rochester, that certainly is a different breed. Would you still call it human?

The important thing we must remember is that umpires were created so football can be played, football wasnt created for people to become umpires and i think sometimes they need to be reminded of that.

Good or bad we need them, but also don't forget an umpire gets paid more than most players do, so an umpire has a responsibility to perform to the best of their ability just as a paid player is expected.

The important thing we must remember is that umpires were created so football can be played, football wasnt created for people to become umpires and i think sometimes they need to be reminded of that.

Good or bad we need them, but also don't forget an umpire gets paid more than most players do, so an umpire has a responsibility to perform to the best of their ability just as a paid player is expected.
very true, and that is why they have no right to be unfit or unskilled, i am sick of giving them reasons to underperform, oh dont knock them, its hard to get umpires as it is bla bla bla, imo if umpires perform at the level expected of them then they themselves would gain the respect they keep asking for, and they themselves would set a standard that others would want to follow into, its true plenty of prospctive umpires dont take it up due to the prospect of being subjected to abuse, but if they do the job properly they will not be abused.

country footy ...,. do u realise our game is THE ONLY GAME IN THE WORLD when you get a reward for missing that's right when u miss a shot for goal ---- worth 6 points as we know --- provided it doesnt miss by a heep you get 1 point
no other sport that i know of does this (soccer/hockey/gridiron/rugby league/rugby union/netball/basketball/lacrosse ... u name it)
no one rewards a player for missing, except us
and on district leagueas as the heathy d.f.l. is prolly the strongest in our region how about sportsbet.com.au betting on the geelong and district f.l. premiership but not many other district leagues

In my humble opinion, umpires do often get decisions wrong. They get them wrong at every level though.

They get MORE wrong in country footy because many of them are too unfit and slow to get into the right position, because the game is getting faster and faster, even at our level.

In their defence though, they will never get every decision right. It is impossible.

As for the hands in the back rule. A player should never be able to sit his hands in someone's back to "hold their ground". It is a great rule, but players have already worked out a way to abuse it by diving forward, and umps do get sucked in. It all depends on the angle they see the contest.

It's unfortunate, but that's just part our game. We play with a ball that doesn't bounce straight FFS. We are allowed to inflict pain. We get a point for poor disposal. You gotta love footy!!

RWB, how do you reckon the Saints will go this week against the new-look Hawks?
Sorry CF, must have missed reading the bottom part of your quote. No walk up start the Saints but confident that they will come away with the points. Hopefully a big in tonight at the selection table and not too many to miss (if any). Personally, think the Hawks may be starting to head in the right direction.:thumbsu:

Hey pinnacle i was wondering if you still keep in touch with the Tooleybuc boys? I hear you were some what of a legend up there!:confused: Apparently a bloke called Mark idolises you????

Hey pinnacle i was wondering if you still keep in touch with the Tooleybuc boys? I hear you were some what of a legend up there!:confused: Apparently a bloke called Mark idolises you????
Yes Pig Boy, heard the same story but with a slight twist. It appeared that Mark actually took off to Moulamein to get away from pinnacle because the big PH got it over him as a footballer. Probably wouldn't be too hard to do though......Also heard a story from a reliable source that Bi Gump rang up the local hardware this week to put his footy tips in!! Must be on assignment in Afghanistan!

Yes Pig Boy, heard the same story but with a slight twist. It appeared that Mark actually took off to Moulamein to get away from pinnacle because the big PH got it over him as a footballer. Probably wouldn't be too hard to do though......Also heard a story from a reliable source that Bi Gump rang up the local hardware to put his footy tips in!! Must be on assignment in Afghanistan!

Well Well RWB i haven't been on for a while but i thought i had better find out more about Forrest's cousin. Can you tell us in a bit more detail what happened. And i heard that Pinnacle just sat in the middle of the oval while the boys were training around him and rode and exercise bike. Hardly a legend sow pig!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back