Game Day Hawthorn vs Melbourne - 22_9_23 - Frankston

Remove this Banner Ad

16 I50s each in the first half, we have not handled our forward entries well, while they have. Around the ground we are holding our own. But keeping them to only 4 goals in a half was a good effort

Tough game, Melbourne very clean by hand and well drilled with superb timing to be in the right spot at the right time. Unlike Kellie Underwood who is consistently a few seconds behind what is unfolding when she makes a call which is the complete opposite of what's actually happening.

Love the way Tamara Smith plays. Hard at every contest, good evasive skills in heavy traffic, and tough as nails. She is going to keep getting better and will increasingly become a pivotal player. Plenty of good signs for the team but still a long way to go. They'll get there.

I don't mind the getting smashed, newbies against the premiers. I am more concerned about the playing from behind every single contest.

It was exactly the same against Freo - drove me nuts

I had to go out which was a blessing because even though they were getting smashed, I just couldn’t take anymore of Kelly Underwood

God every game is a hard watch and I put this at Bec Goddard. I will keep saying it I don’t think she’s a good football coach. Dining out on winning the inaugural flag with a side I could have coached to win. Our defence is the worst I’ve ever seen. Players running around like chickens with heads cut off. We leak so many goals out the back but it’s not like they are moving at high velocity many times. Bec may be a good player person but the gameplan sucks. Either get a head coach who understands football or support Bec if you like her management attributes with a good tactical coach. I’m not saying she doesn’t have value but I am saying I don’t think she’s a good football tactician to be clear.

God every game is a hard watch and I put this at Bec Goddard. I will keep saying it I don’t think she’s a good football coach. Dining out on winning the inaugural flag with a side I could have coached to win. Our defence is the worst I’ve ever seen. Players running around like chickens with heads cut off. We leak so many goals out the back but it’s not like they are moving at high velocity many times. Bec may be a good player person but the gameplan sucks. Either get a head coach who understands football or support Bec if you like her management attributes with a good tactical coach. I’m not saying she doesn’t have value but I am saying I don’t think she’s a good football tactician to be clear.

It's year two for a new team that wasn't able to recruit its initial targets. I don't think the gameplan is right, but there's massive progress even from last year until now.

Early days but a bit concerning. Let's hope they can all click together sooner rather than later, list is good game execution not so much.

It's year two for a new team that wasn't able to recruit its initial targets. I don't think the gameplan is right, but there's massive progress even from last year until now.
I’m not potting the players I think they are being poorly educated. I think there’s a lot to work with but you could see the light years between their positioning and ours. Some of that is experience no doubt but if they aren’t being taught well now the team progress will quickly plateau.

It does seem compared to the other last Vic expansion side they went with a very different recruitment strategy, but this game and next aren't going to be the proof in the pudding if it pays off, it'll be 2-5 years down the road. Will suck watching the Red & Black team makes finals first though.

If anything with Bec's strategy it is that we seem to rush everything this year and about the only players that's working for are Flem and Kash. The rest just dont have that decision making yet.

Also Frankston is not really suited for the game style imo.

Makes you wonder what the hell the team trained during preseason and at what level it was executed. We are playing worse than last season with a better squad.

The coach needs to have some heat applied, but you just know that’s not going to happen. It’s supposed to be a high performing environment, but there seems to be zero accountability for poor performance.

Makes you wonder what the hell the team trained during preseason and at what level it was executed. We are playing worse than last season with a better squad.

The coach needs to have some heat applied, but you just know that’s not going to happen. It’s supposed to be a high performing environment, but there seems to be zero accountability for poor performance.
We are not playing worse than last year.
We are playing a hell of a lot better.

Our skills are better, our fitness is better.
Tackling has dropped as we are getting more of the ball.

Our fixture has been extremely hard.
Give us games vs gws and Sydney and we would look like superstars

We are not playing worse than last year.
We are playing a hell of a lot better.

Our skills are better, our fitness is better.
Tackling has dropped as we are getting more of the ball.

Our fixture has been extremely hard.
Give us games vs gws and Sydney and we would look like superstars
We are playing worse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that's a call you can make now. If we're struggling against Sydney or Port, getting smashed by Saints then maybe. We're getting flogged next game and the way they're now playing Richmond is in the Geelong camp of beating us easily as well. As Mitch says, that's a much harder schedule than last season.

The 4 goal comeback for first win will always be our best and most memorable, but in terms of how they played I'll still stand by the Bulldogs win as the best football they've put together so far.

I can't see Goddard being under any pressure until next season, and it'd have to be going pretty average after having a shocker end to this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back