Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This can't be true
No Hawks fan picked 14 wins

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Battle is a third tall, and we have enough of those. Still I wouldn't say no, but he's not the answer to our KPD issues.

If all three of FOS, Smillie and Smith are available at our pick then you can bet Smith would be the last choice - smallest of the three with no outstanding physical attributes (FOS is only marginally taller, but is quicker and can take a hanger). Both Smillie and FOS offer something we need. Smith essentially does not.
I rate Smith higher than FOS. Currently, Hawks midfield is struggling to find the ball and Smith is the best natural accumulator in this year’s draft.

I rate Smith higher than FOS. Currently, Hawks midfield is struggling to find the ball and Smith is the best natural accumulator in this year’s draft.
Anyone watching the Hawthorn midfield realises the need for more dynamic approaches which is a Butters type, enter Finn O’Sullivan.

FOS is super in finding, using, opening the game up with pace and agility and being dynamic.

Smith is a similar player without the pace and less physically developed albeit a superb accumulator and being in the right spots.

But not Strapping YL?

My ladder prediction is in the Ladder prediction thread if anyone really cares.

Took a punt on the Dogs and Saints droppping, and wasn’t at all sure of what the Dees would do. Had your Cats, Freo and Suns rising.

Had similar thinking in throwing together mine. Quite a few teams could go either way in 2024(looking at you, Melbourne) with queries on the coach, the list, their off-field, and a lot of teams fail to back it up after top 4 finishes.

1. Carlton
2. GWS
3. Sydney
4. Gold Coast
5. Collingwood
6. Brisbane
7. Port Adelaide
8. Geelong
- - - -
9. Fremantle
10. Essendon
11. Hawthorn
12. Adelaide
13. Melbourne
14. Western Bulldogs
15. St Kilda
16. Richmond
17. West Coast
18. North

My ladder prediction is in the Ladder prediction thread if anyone really cares.

Took a punt on the Dogs and Saints droppping, and wasn’t at all sure of what the Dees would do. Had your Cats, Freo and Suns rising.
That's actually a good effort. Mine wasn't terrible, but it was terribly unimaginative by keeping both Collingwood and Brisbane in the top 2. And I fairly lazily kept Freo and Essendon near the bottom despite not actually thinking either were bad. Filling out the bottom 6 is tricky besides the couple of obvious ones.

That's actually a good effort. Mine wasn't terrible, but it was terribly unimaginative by keeping both Collingwood and Brisbane in the top 2. And I fairly lazily kept Freo and Essendon near the bottom despite not actually thinking either were bad. Filling out the bottom 6 is tricky besides the couple of obvious ones.
I think Essendon are still a watch as the season wears on. They generally get worse as the year goes on. Was bullish on the Blues and thought the Cats would bounce back.

I don’t rate Pies list very highly, thought they were very good last year but would lapse after a flag. Thought the Lions didn’t really improve their list and I question their resolve. Didn’t buy the Crows hype as they have an average midfield and relied on the older heads in 2023.

Hawks list needed to stay fit to win early games. Still think we’ll improve as players return, but should’ve really had 3 wins in the bank by now.

The Hawks tanking strategy just got Drapered.

Aussie Rules Sport GIF by Essendon FC
Rebuilds are hard work especially with cunning strategies like that from opposition players

Thread unusually quiet during a Hawthorn game yesterday. What happened?
Dogs kicked the first 3 goals and thread not bumped?

What The Hell Hello GIF by StoryMe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn scrapped a win against another bottom 10 team. Congrats. :)
Good point, Essendon have showed this season how important scrapping wins over bottom 10 teams is. 5-1-0 against bottom 10 teams, 0-2 against top 8 teams

If we can stop playing off a handicap and giving away the first 2-3 goals a game we're going to be alright. :cool:
Maybe it put the dogs into the “we will s**t this in” mindset and after that played millionaire footy…

Good point, Essendon have showed this season how important scrapping wins over bottom 10 teams is. 5-1-0 against bottom 10 teams, 0-2 against top 8 teams
What does Essendon have to do with a Hawthorn thread?

Back