Player Watch Harley Reid isnt leading the rising star so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Lad has lots of talent

But geez - comparisons to Judd, Ablett snr et al is highly premature and as much as he’s only a teenager / he already had a man’s body - just not the tank yet
I agree. But it did take Judd 30 games to kick 3 and have 7 clearances. It took Harley 6. I for one agree with Simmo we shouldn't be adding to the hype but damn he has had a pretty good start.

I agree. But it did take Judd 30 games to kick 3 and have 7 clearances. It took Harley 6. I for one agree with Simmo we shouldn't be adding to the hype but damn he has had a pretty good start.
Judd's first year was highly overstated; by critics his year was similar to that of Deledio's first maybe a bit better.

Walsh, Daicos even guys like Martin & Oliver that didn't win the award had better seasons. looks like Reid will be another one he looks far more advanced than Judd did at the same age they had different attributes though, the players today come in are so much better prepared for the elite level & it's not that surprising.

Its ironic he doesn't have a GOAT discussion thread because he's probably the most likely, as long as injuries are kind.
Hopefully West Coast supporters on this site have the maturity to avoid starting such a thread.
As much as I vehemently disagree with the premise of the Dusty thread at least he has the runs on the board.

Judd's first year was highly overstated; by critics his year was similar to that of Deledio's first maybe a bit better.

Walsh, Daicos even guys like Martin & Oliver that didn't win the award had better seasons. looks like Reid will be another one he looks far more advanced than Judd did at the same age they had different attributes though, the players today come in are so much better prepared for the elite level & it's not that surprising.
I think it's pretty well known and easy to find out since 2022 he was touted as pick 1 at under 17 level. He really did not put a foot wrong playing for 6 teams and dominating in his draft year. He showed consistently that he could match it at VFL and u18 level. He obviously has a long way to go but he had unusually good performance over a long time. Can only hope he can sustain it and build from a great start.

Its ironic he doesn't have a GOAT discussion thread because he's probably the most likely, as long as injuries are kind.
Not ironic at all, BigFooty GOAT discussion threads are exclusively for players who are definitely not the GOAT

Hopefully West Coast supporters on this site have the maturity to avoid starting such a thread.
As much as I vehemently disagree with the premise of the Dusty thread at least he has the runs on the board.

Thing is though, I literally thought it was just a bit of a joke and a place for fans to talk about modern day great players. It wasn't until all the Richmond supporters began posting did I see they really think he's the best player ever.

Great footballer and all but Reid just played his 6th match and he did some things Martin has never done in his entire career.

If he isn't already, he will be one of those special players that brings people to games, just to watch him play.

Well done WC, you have a gun.
exactly my thoughts too, was thinking that away games are bound to see a slight crowd uptick now. Past few weeks we've been in (gather) Adelaide and Perth to capacity, and in that time Reid has arrived, this week returning to the east coast against the Suns at Carrara (which has more variable crowds) should be a good look at this coming into effect, might draw an extra thousand or so through the gates.

Last edited:
Just imagine what he could do when he has the stank/stamina for 85+ ToG.

7cc2cb02-a180-4e45-88cc-a987f5a82b44_text.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The upside this guy has is scary. He’s 19 years old bullying some of the strongest mids the game has seen. He wasn’t as good as Yeo (on paper) but he was the best on ground in his first derby because of his team lifting moments. As someone said here already he’s going to bring his teammates with him and make them stand taller from his ability to win contests that he has no business winning. League on notice.

Thing is though, I literally thought it was just a bit of a joke and a place for fans to talk about modern day great players. It wasn't until all the Richmond supporters began posting did I see they really think he's the best player ever.

Great footballer and all but Reid just played his 6th match and he did some things Martin has never done in his entire career.

Martin kicked 3 goal of the year contenders in one game. Happened to be the Grand Final...

Wow.

Amazing how one draft pick can change the narrative for an entire club. West Coast’s list still has so many older players and will get worse before it gets better but they can build a club around Reid for a generation.

I hope he maintains a work ethic to match his massive talent because he’ll be so fun to watch. Reminds of Dusty so much in 2016-17 when he simply couldn’t be tackled.

It was only about 3 weeks ago that clown Melbourne fan, danster, was questioning Harley Reid’s performances, suggesting Eagles fans would be disappointed in what they got for their 1st pick.

No idea….

I put Danster with the Eagles posters that said they would rather have won the Bullies game than have pick 1.

Thank you Lord for the Roos who ensured it didn't matter (or should that be GC).

There is no doubt the kid will be a super star. The derby was won though by having fit premiership stars all back on the field at once for the first time in years. Barrass, Guv, Duggan, Cole, Yeo, Darling plus our experienced guys like Waterman and Kelly leading the way for our young guys Ginbey, Hough, Ried and & co to follow was the key to WC being back on the winners list. Its hard to measure what Reids efforts did in terms of the final score. It no doubt lifted the team immensely but we wouldnt have won it just off the back of the kid. Dont get me wrong - this young fella will be a bums on seats guy the like we havent seen since Judd and Cousins at WC. Fingers crossed we can keep him. I think the fact he is on the upswing cycle at the biggest club in the land might help....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back