Guitar Players

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking of selling my valve amp and pedals and going solid state. The Line 6 Spider mkII seems the go, I'm not sure if the 30 would be loud enough to jam with other people, the 60 might be the go, anyone have any thoughts? (Haven't tried them out yet)

Why do you want to go from valve and pedals to solid state?

Well it would be cheaper, I'd say easier to troubleshoot if I have an issue and I don't think I'd find issues with a solid state sound. And I think i'd have a lot of easier options to find different sounds, I CBF ******* about finding a good sound with the pedal combinations I have, would rather spend that time practicing ha ha

Well it would be cheaper, I'd say easier to troubleshoot if I have an issue and I don't think I'd find issues with a solid state sound. And I think i'd have a lot of easier options to find different sounds, I CBF ******* about finding a good sound with the pedal combinations I have, would rather spend that time practicing ha ha
How is it cheaper than something you already own? I bought a micro dark terror last year because it's cheap, 30w which is more than enough for the studio and has an effect loop which I can put the line 6 pod go I bought through. I mainly did that because I hate ******* around with pedals/cords/power. It has so many pedals, amps and speaker models built into it it's crazy. The micro dark terror sounds pretty cool by itself though. Very simple and is not a full valve head.

How is it cheaper than something you already own? I bought a micro dark terror last year because it's cheap, 30w which is more than enough for the studio and has an effect loop which I can put the line 6 pod go I bought through. I mainly did that because I hate ******* around with pedals/cords/power. It has so many pedals, amps and speaker models built into it it's crazy. The micro dark terror sounds pretty cool by itself though. Very simple and is not a full valve head.

Basically I'll be able to more than cover the expense of a new solid state amp by selling my gear. The resale for pedals and amps seems pretty good to be honest, I checked on a resale website and my 8 year old valve amp is going for slightly more than what I bought it for.

I'll go try some solid state amps and see how I go, I hear heaps of people say the valve amps sound better but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell.

Basically I'll be able to more than cover the expense of a new solid state amp by selling my gear. The resale for pedals and amps seems pretty good to be honest, I checked on a resale website and my 8 year old valve amp is going for slightly more than what I bought it for.

I'll go try some solid state amps and see how I go, I hear heaps of people say the valve amps sound better but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell.
I can't really tell the difference either. Not to the extent that it would stop me. I have a blackstar ID core 10w as well just for the lounge room and it's fine. Even has built in reverb delay and tremolo. I have heard that blackstar amps are s**t because due to the way the boards are made they are too expensive to fix if they heck up. Not sure how true that is but for the money the 10w cost me I didn't care.

Lou Reed.
I bet the mere suggestion is outlandish. But for pointed, prickly, and sometimes rythmic, guitar playing using minimal chords, he's bloody great. Check out his 2 albums New York and Songs for Drella. The guitar work is wonderful, perfect for the songs. These 2 may be perfect if quite different, albums.

This from S4D, with J Cale providing vocals and sharp piano notes. Magnificent!

I love New York.
I think the liner notes say “Nothing beats two guitars, bass and drums!”
Lou getting back to the classic stuff.

I love New York.
I think the liner notes say “Nothing beats two guitars, bass and drums!”
Lou getting back to the classic stuff.
Yep, great great album. He was in an energetic phase here. Hearty meaty music, great guitar, incisive and inciting lyrics, terrific portraits of a decadent city.

The 1 and only J Mascis Dino Jr. This one from the comeback era. Loud fuzzy raucus.

Has there been a better rock band for consistently excellent records over 4 + decades? There has certainly been no better comeback band that I am aware of. Bunch of old buggars delivering the goodies.

The 1 and only J Mascis Dino Jr.
There has certainly been no better comeback band that I am aware of.
Agree with this. Exceedingly rare that a band comes back with anything approaching the quality of their earlier years

Probably my favourite song of theirs:

Agree with this. Exceedingly rare that a band comes back with anything approaching the quality of their earlier years

Probably my favourite song of theirs:

Under rated album. J's song writing went through the ceiling in this period, and this album was full of nice tone shifts and interesting instrumentation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This bloke whould have been mentioned ...Joe Bonamassa.. Here doing a riff in a Jimmy Barnes song. Awesome. If you watch the whole video, he starts middle and ends with a riff.

NO ONE, EVER, in my opinion...
has expressed as much raw emotion from an instrument without the aid of a single lyric.
Not close, not a long time ago, not ever.
Pure emotion and ballistic dynamics.
Simply, the best.
Fight me.
And the very end, is pure heck you rock n roll.
Thanks Ed.

NO ONE, EVER, in my opinion...
has expressed as much raw emotion from an instrument without the aid of a single lyric
Not close, not a long time ago, not ever.
Pure emotion and ballistic dynamics.
Simply, the best.
Fight me.
And the very end, is pure * you rock n roll.
Thanks Ed.

Gene Krupa might disagree... (drums)

Last edited:
Sonny Sharrock's guitar solo parts from his early recordings with Herbie Mann.

00:00 Footprints (Windows Opened) 00:56 Windows Opened (Windows Opened) 02:23 Hold On, I'm Comin' (Memphis Underground) 05:06 Concerto Grosso in D Blues (Concerto Grosso in D Blues) 07:21 Philly Dog (Live at the Whiskey a Go Go) 10:10 Miss Free Spirit (Stone Flute) 12:02 Kabuki Rock (Memphis Two-Step) 14:39 Memphis Underground (Live Montreux Jazz Festival)

Rob MacKenzie on guitar and Cleis Pearce on electric viola on the 1973 McKenzie Theory album, "Out of the Blue". There was some wonderful Australian music coming out at that time.

I'm thinking of selling my valve amp and pedals and going solid state. The Line 6 Spider mkII seems the go, I'm not sure if the 30 would be loud enough to jam with other people, the 60 might be the go, anyone have any thoughts? (Haven't tried them out yet)

Ok so haven't sold the amp and pedals yet (if anyone is looking for gear PM me) but bought one of the Line 6 Catalyst 100w the other day, and it's awesome! It's basically 6 amp models and you can save settings on two channels, plus there's a manual channel which just takes the physical settings on the knobs on the amp. There's a footswitch to change between channels too.

It really does sound great and immense to my tonedeaf ears, it might actually be a bit forgiving in terms of the way I sloppily play sometimes, not sure about what sort of noise correction it does.

There's also a setting so you can play at 0.5w power so basically a massive practice amp, plenty loud enough for your bedroom.

This is going to make my life much easier!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back