Great images in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my favourite old time black and white cricket photos is Don Bradman meeting Babe Ruth in 1932 at Yankee Stadium.

0ed9b3ff8236e7f1d8fc5e00b07c2445

Two of the all time great batters, Babe looks in awe of the Don or maybe he just doesn't know who he is.

Like most Americans he was probably clueless about cricket.

One of my favourite old time black and white cricket photos is Don Bradman meeting Babe Ruth in 1932 at Yankee Stadium.

0ed9b3ff8236e7f1d8fc5e00b07c2445

Two of the all time great batters, Babe looks in awe of the Don or maybe he just doesn't know who he is.

Like most Americans he was probably clueless about cricket.
Ric Sissons wrote The Don Meets The Babe about the 1932 Australians in the US.

567769c16e510a77501f653a_27.jpg

Michael Holding spits the dummy against NZ in 1979/80

This was the series where Colin Croft ran through umpire Fred Goodall in the 2nd test at Christchurch after a number of (very) dodgy decisions went NZ's way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

567769c16e510a77501f653a_27.jpg

Michael Holding spits the dummy against NZ in 1979/80

This was the series where Colin Croft ran through umpire Fred Goodall in the 2nd test at Christchurch after a number of (very) dodgy decisions went NZ's way.

Back in the good old days or maybe bad old days when most countries had biased local umpires in test matches.

Australia had a few back then too along with the West Indies, India and Pakistan. England not so much but they probably had a few too.

It's no wonder the ICC decided to switch to neutral umpires in test matches but that often means you don't get the best umpires either.

Back in the good old days or maybe bad old days when most countries had biased local umpires in test matches.

Australia had a few back then too along with the West Indies, India and Pakistan. England not so much but they probably had a few too.

It's no wonder the ICC decided to switch to neutral umpires in test matches but that often means you don't get the best umpires either.

Just on the topic of home umpires and controversy, Dick French remarkably still stands by his decision to give Craig McDermott not out when he was plumb LBW in the 2nd last over of the MCG test between Australia and New Zealand.

The ' home town' decisions of yesteryear were particularly bad in India & Pakistan. There were several instances of of touring sides thinking about going home due to the terrible decisions that were made.

Javed Miandad was never given out LBW in his homeland and according to one Australian test player, he goaded the the Australians by saying 'this is my land, my rules'.

Having said that, Bill Lawry was apparently never adjudged LBW in Australia.

However, going back to that 1979 WI tour of NZ, here are highlights on the web - and honestly, some of the umpiring decisions in favour of the Kiwi's were absolutely laughable.

It doesn't excuse the behaviour of the Windies players however.

The ' home town' decisions of yesteryear were particularly bad in India & Pakistan. There were several instances of of touring sides thinking about going home due to the terrible decisions that were made.

Javed Miandad was never given out LBW in his homeland and according to one Australian test player, he goaded the the Australians by saying 'this is my land, my rules'.

Having said that, Bill Lawry was apparently never adjudged LBW in Australia.

However, going back to that 1979 WI tour of NZ, here are highlights on the web - and honestly, some of the umpiring decisions in favour of the Kiwi's were absolutely laughable.

It doesn't excuse the behaviour of the Windies players however.

Javed Mianded was dismissed LBW 8 times in tests in Pakistan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back