Great images in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

MA58038338-B-8660-1200w.jpg

50,000 crowd shoehorned into the Adelaide oval bodyline test.

Don't forget your hat.

That's the same Adelaide Oval I first went to in the 80s.
I first went in ~1980 when I was 5. Aus vs WI. Don't remember a thing except Australia batted, because my mum was disappointed. She wanted to see 6s.

Next went for my 11th Birthday with my Dad, and saw AB make 200 ~1986.

I first went in ~1980 when I was 5. Aus vs WI. Don't remember a thing except Australia batted, because my mum was disappointed. She wanted to see 6s.

Next went for my 11th Birthday with my Dad, and saw AB make 200 ~1986.
Also got the much sought after autograph of...

Ray Bright

At least we turned up.

No other state Cricket Administration would put up with it.
We weren't deemed worthy of test cricket for another 40 years. And it's only since 2012 that WA, Qld and Tasmania have received equal representation as members of Cricket Australia. (It was totally on-brand for the SACA to oppose those reforms, by the way.)

If you treat some states like second-class citizens (CA chairman's words, not mine), then what exactly do you expect?

We weren't deemed worthy of test cricket for another 40 years. And it's only since 2012 that WA, Qld and Tasmania have received equal representation as members of Cricket Australia. (It was totally on-brand for the SACA to oppose those reforms, by the way.)

If you treat some states like second-class citizens (CA chairman's words, not mine), then what exactly do you expect?
I expect CA to respect the paying public by rewarding those cities that the crowds turn up to.

Imagine the outrage and sooking of the Vics if the MCG test was changed? You'd be happy with that?

Imagine the outrage and sooking of the Vics if the MCG test was changed? You'd be happy with that?
Yeah, I'd love it. It'd be interesting to see how many Victorians would turn up during the school term or on a workday. And I'm pretty confident that Boxing Day would sell out wherever it was played.

But comparing a Boxing Day tradition of 40+ years with a pre-Christmas timeslot that has happened a handful of times is quite the reach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back