Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

In the naughties the gv took pride in being the best league in the state, professional run league, they were first for everything, I'd say every other league in the state looked up to them, clubs recruited well on the back of this I reckon, if you were thinking of going to play in the bfl, o&m or gv, 80% would have chosen the gv.

It's nowhere near that since the inception of the hub taking over, it's miles off geelong and the o&m

In the naughties the gv took pride in being the best league in the state, professional run league, they were first for everything, I'd say every other league in the state looked up to them, clubs recruited well on the back of this I reckon, if you were thinking of going to play in the bfl, o&m or gv, 80% would have chosen the gv.

It's nowhere near that since the inception of the hub taking over, it's miles off geelong and the o&m
Keith Wellman and Barry Connelly and an astute bunch working under them.

5 Saturdays in September next year and Easter in March provides a little uniqueness whereby there is potentially an extra week in the season meaning extra rounds or a more split rounds of byes , which some already appear unhappy with.

Here’s an option for that extra weekend in September..

Hold the Grand Final on the Friday public holiday before the AFL GF.
This creates an issue of a shortened break between the PF and GF. To solve this have a bye between Prelim Finals and GF to allow both clubs to freshen up and get their best side possible on the park.

Last edited:
Here’s an option for that extra weekend in September..

Hold the Grand Final on the Friday public holiday before the AFL GF.
This creates an issue of a shortened break between the PF and GF. To solve this have a bye between Prelim Finals and GF to allow both clubs to freshen up and get their best side possible on the park.
The VAFA are doing this

Well step up and take it on.. don't hide behind a keyboard with big ambition

2024 Early rankings..... no order, just sectioned.

1-3
Echuca haven't heard much our of them but you can't write off the reigning premiers until they are done. Number 1 seed as per. They have extraordinary depth and some genuine stars. Always quite over the offseason which is intriguing.
Euroa lost a couple but picked up a couple so will be there about again. The amount of games Will Hayes plays will dictate how far they can take 2024. Expect Pendles to pull in a few Darwin recruits in the next couple of weeks or later in Jan/Feb. Well connected guy in the football circles. Hellier is a good player and 18 games out of him sets you up in the midfield. Trotter / Yosuef up forward are going to cause genuine migraines.
Kyabram Mick Mattingly back in the fold will help them keep in touch with the top 3 I believe. A gun winger who can run with the best of them and While L. Smith is in your team you are always in the game. Interesting to see how the Bombers shape up with Carver at the helm in 2024. Comes from great background and keen to see how he puts his own twist on things. It's been a long time since Kyabram haven't had P. Newman in action on or off the field.

4-7
Bears Building nicely into the back end of last season plus added in lukey smith and Brett from Golden Square. I have them making a big jump in 2024 and pushing for top 6 spot. Hard to beat at Deakin will be their mantra next season.
Seymour Falling off the pace slightly? Lost their dual league medalist plus best player hartley over the offseason. No big name recruits and losing depth to lower leagues doesn't help. Will need to call upon their current list for some real growth to stay in touch with finals you'd think.
Mansfield New coach in which may bring a fresh breath of air. Similar to the Bears always tough to beat at home. Lost the dale boys and their ruckman but I think they still have enough power to win 6-7 home games which gets you well on your way. Anyone heard any recruits?
Mooroopna Biggest player losses probably comes to these guys but they have done well to sign Drummond full time. Nield and Trengrove out really makes things tough to kick a winning score but it may open up some new avenues and a bit more flare. Expecting a big player signing to from Lamont.

8-12
Swans Definitely on the upward trend. Lost a couple of young guys to Myrtleford but love the way they go about things. New Ruckman will excite their midfield that's for sure. Think they are still lacking scoring power up front.
Rochester Seems like they have done well in the recruiting space with a few Bendigo boys linking up. Atley needs some real help and they'll need someone to kick 40 goals to jump up a few spots I believe.
United Gradual build I think? Bought back a few handy players but at the same stage lost a couple. Interesting to see how things play out.
Tatura Johnson is is a fantastic signing but they need a few more to make waves in 2024. However, another year into a new game plan the dogs could make small gains next season. Desperate for 2-3 more good players.
Benalla Tough going this year and I think next year will be no different. Any recruits been named yet? Waite would have some connections but tough to recruit in todays world. Fingers crossed they can add some experience to their list but as always very tough to play at home no matter the ladder position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2024 Early rankings..... no order, just sectioned.

1-3
Echuca haven't heard much our of them but you can't write off the reigning premiers until they are done. Number 1 seed as per. They have extraordinary depth and some genuine stars. Always quite over the offseason which is intriguing.
Euroa lost a couple but picked up a couple so will be there about again. The amount of games Will Hayes plays will dictate how far they can take 2024. Expect Pendles to pull in a few Darwin recruits in the next couple of weeks or later in Jan/Feb. Well connected guy in the football circles. Hellier is a good player and 18 games out of him sets you up in the midfield. Trotter / Yosuef up forward are going to cause genuine migraines.
Kyabram Mick Mattingly back in the fold will help them keep in touch with the top 3 I believe. A gun winger who can run with the best of them and While L. Smith is in your team you are always in the game. Interesting to see how the Bombers shape up with Carver at the helm in 2024. Comes from great background and keen to see how he puts his own twist on things. It's been a long time since Kyabram haven't had P. Newman in action on or off the field.

4-7
Bears Building nicely into the back end of last season plus added in lukey smith and Brett from Golden Square. I have them making a big jump in 2024 and pushing for top 6 spot. Hard to beat at Deakin will be their mantra next season.
Seymour Falling off the pace slightly? Lost their dual league medalist plus best player hartley over the offseason. No big name recruits and losing depth to lower leagues doesn't help. Will need to call upon their current list for some real growth to stay in touch with finals you'd think.
Mansfield New coach in which may bring a fresh breath of air. Similar to the Bears always tough to beat at home. Lost the dale boys and their ruckman but I think they still have enough power to win 6-7 home games which gets you well on your way. Anyone heard any recruits?
Mooroopna Biggest player losses probably comes to these guys but they have done well to sign Drummond full time. Nield and Trengrove out really makes things tough to kick a winning score but it may open up some new avenues and a bit more flare. Expecting a big player signing to from Lamont.

8-12
Swans Definitely on the upward trend. Lost a couple of young guys to Myrtleford but love the way they go about things. New Ruckman will excite their midfield that's for sure. Think they are still lacking scoring power up front.
Rochester Seems like they have done well in the recruiting space with a few Bendigo boys linking up. Atley needs some real help and they'll need someone to kick 40 goals to jump up a few spots I believe.
United Gradual build I think? Bought back a few handy players but at the same stage lost a couple. Interesting to see how things play out.
Tatura Johnson is is a fantastic signing but they need a few more to make waves in 2024. However, another year into a new game plan the dogs could make small gains next season. Desperate for 2-3 more good players.
Benalla Tough going this year and I think next year will be no different. Any recruits been named yet? Waite would have some connections but tough to recruit in todays world. Fingers crossed they can add some experience to their list but as always very tough to play at home no matter the ladder position.
Think Echuca will be just as strong. Angus Byrne and Prout are back full time from the VFL.

Agree on Echuca being a force again but Carlton VFL media team announced Prout hays signed on again just over a week ago.
Is the gap between the top couple and the next few getting bigger ? I feel like it is …
And the distance between top and bottom is huge.

Is the gap between the top couple and the next few getting bigger ? I feel like it is …
Echuca look well placed for a few years with the streamline of talent they have coming through. In saying that they trailed after half time of the Grand Final this year & we seen what happened to Ky in 2018 when they were deemed untouchable so the other Clubs shouldn't give up the ghost.

I think the gap between Echuca and the bottom group will narrow significantly.

There should be more clubs in contention for the last couple of spots in the finals for longer ... last year was a bit of a yawn once we realised the final six was set by mid-year. It's great to see clubs recruiting some decent names into the competition. Summer time is a period of hope for supporters of teams that have finished at the bottom end of the ladder the Year before ... I know there is a bit of excitement around Rochester as they embark upon their 150th year!

I am confident the league will be much stronger overall in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back