Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Mooroopna have landed another very good player in Chris Nield from Tassie. They are having a crack and he is a key forward.
The Clarence gun forward is a huge pick up ringo Surely now the cats must be respected and should be huge to compete in September I’m pretty sure the person behind these recruits is Chaukie Auld who holds a managerial recruiting roll at cat land and renowned for his player contacts

Mooroopna have landed another very good player in Chris Nield from Tassie. They are having a crack and he is a key forward.
Sounds promising for the Cats mate. Do we have a definitive list of Mooroopnas Ins? I would love to see that and I know there are a couple of Cats posters on here.

Not sure why we need to play night games whilst this thing called the sun is in the sky. Night games at country footy don’t cut it but that’s just me.

About revenue for the Club Ringo. A night game in early autumn has double the crowd at The Rec. However when they are in winter they are a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Only early in the season it works when the weather is better, no good playing at night in the middle of June and July
Non traditional doesn’t have to solely mean ‘ night games ‘ .
The GVL is in a very delicate position ATM , particularly with the return post COVID .

Last edited:
The Clarence gun forward is a huge pick up ringo Surely now the cats must be respected and should be huge to compete in September I’m pretty sure the person behind these recruits is Chaukie Auld who holds a managerial recruiting roll at cat land and renowned for his player contacts
Can’t see them fitting to many into the points system .

Non traditional doesn’t have to solely mean ‘ night games ‘ .
The GVL is in a very delicate position ATM , particularly with the return post COVID .
Sorry but I'm going to have to agree with you ROAR😁. Back in the late 90s, early 2000's Sunday games were played more and the crowds were great.. Tat v Ky, United v Shepp even a couple of Echuca v Rochy games were played on Sundays. Lots of 'lower league' followers being able to attend made for a great day.

Sorry but I'm going to have to agree with you ROAR😁. Back in the late 90s, early 2000's Sunday games were played more and the crowds were great.. Tat v Ky, United v Shepp even a couple of Echuca v Rochy games were played on Sundays. Lots of 'lower league' followers being able to attend made for a great day.
Agree on most occasions the Sunday games are winners. With 18 Home & Away games if every Club was marked in for 2 Sunday games it would provide a regular Sunday game. Some players Volunteers etc don't like the Sunday format but 2 games is a pretty small dose to commit too. On most occasions Clubs will be rewarded with extra revenue.

Agree on most occasions the Sunday games are winners. With 18 Home & Away games if every Club was marked in for 2 Sunday games it would provide a regular Sunday game. Some players Volunteers etc don't like the Sunday format but 2 games is a pretty small dose to commit too. On most occasions Clubs will be rewarded with extra revenue.
Yep.. play them early in the year when the weathers good and a couple more before finals if you can..

No offence to chalky but you would think Lamont would have a bigger player contact, will be interesting to see how tassie footy compares to gvfl, I think Tassie footy has dropped off a fair bit in the last 25 years, but I think maroopna are a monty to play finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on the cats for recruiting him but it is sad state of affairs that a high quality player from the Tasmanian State League can get a bigger amount of coin than what he can be paid by his original club in Clarence. Tasmanian state league footy is being "raped and pillaged" currently by lower leagues both within the state and on the mainland who can offer larger rumeration due to the limited salary caps that are in place in the state league. Some changes are needed as top class players are leaving the league for "greener pastures" where in some instances they are going to fly to the mainland each week to play footy for a significant wage and much greater that a state league club can pay due to the limitations on the salary cap. Changes are needed.

No offence to chalky but you would think Lamont would have a bigger player contact, will be interesting to see how tassie footy compares to gvfl, I think Tassie footy has dropped off a fair bit in the last 25 years, but I think maroopna are a monty to play finals
At Mooroopna I heard there was some concern going into this Season at the lack of recruiting that had been done and Lamont put his hand up to say it wasn't his strength so they went and sourced some assistance. I think with we're Mooroopna have been they if they could Win half of their games that would be a huge improvement. They've lost a few of their better players from 2019 but should still improve with their recruiting and a few sides coming back at them. Hearing the Bears training has been very light on for numbers Pre Xmas.

Sundays don’t seem to be the $$ bonanza’s some think.

Most onlookers pull back on the cans and steak sanga’s cause of work the next day,

With junior footy on and not always at the same ground, numbers can be varied.

After game revenue ain’t great as tea’s right down and people head home early
( no chance of having something on for the night to attract outsiders )

Most onlookers pull back on the cans and steak sanga’s cause of work the next day,

No one said its a bonanza, but you will still get more through the gate than normal... and in these times every $$$$ counts. And not sure an extra steak sanga is an issue for work the next day 🤣

Tassie footy has been on the decline for the best part of 15 years, in the 90s early 2000s they could lure David Rhys Jones and Mick mcguane over to coach, and during this time Tassie clubs had a red hot crack at recruiting some bushys to go over to play in 99 with good pay and apprenticeships after the 98 season.

I saw a little bit of the state league this year and the standard did look pretty good, that could have been due to no other footy being played, what's their salary

Good on the cats for recruiting him but it is sad state of affairs that a high quality player from the Tasmanian State League can get a bigger amount of coin than what he can be paid by his original club in Clarence. Tasmanian state league footy is being "raped and pillaged" currently by lower leagues both within the state and on the mainland who can offer larger rumeration due to the limited salary caps that are in place in the state league. Some changes are needed as top class players are leaving the league for "greener pastures" where in some instances they are going to fly to the mainland each week to play footy for a significant wage and much greater that a state league club can pay due to the limitations on the salary cap. Changes are needed.

The indirect advantage by engaging potential recruits as well as marketing should also be considered rather than how many cans or snags are sold .
Times have changed with many pro-active clubs having significant income streams outside of what some may consider normal footy / netball income streams .

Last edited:
Tassie footy has been on the decline for the best part of 15 years, in the 90s early 2000s they could lure David Rhys Jones and Mick mcguane over to coach, and during this time Tassie clubs had a red hot crack at recruiting some bushys to go over to play in 99 with good pay and apprenticeships after the 98 season.

I saw a little bit of the state league this year and the standard did look pretty good, that could have been due to no other footy being played, what's their salary
Tassie as a whole lost its appeal for young people , including prospective footballers in the mid to late 90’s when the greenies got in and pretty much closed down all industry . Additionally the grounds for the most part are small and generally wet .

I see your point but if TSL have kept their Cap and the Vic Metro Comps are $100k now that issue isn't near as significant now. I watched a few games over their while on holidays in recent years and the Standard would be sharper than Vic Country Comps I know. On another note it sounds like the SANFL will boom again as a State League Comp with many VFL players heading across.

I see your point but if TSL have kept their Cap and the Vic Metro Comps are $100k now that issue isn't near as significant now. I watched a few games over their while on holidays in recent years and the Standard would be sharper than Vic Country Comps I know. On another note it sounds like the SANFL will boom again as a State League Comp with many VFL players heading across.

yep, the change to the VFL by combining with the NEAFL will makeboth the SANFL and WAFL more attractive to many many players

Mansfield were in to Shaun Mckernan prior to him being picked up by St Kilda. Would not be surprised to see him there when finished at the Saints. Both he and his partner love the slopes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back