Goulburn Valley FL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultra is a man with his finger on the pulse what would Grenfells motivation to go too Tat be? Does he live at Seymour? Tat needed a couple of quality forwards and a couple of silky mids most of all I thought. Is no news bad news out of United? Has Lowden officially gone? along with Spangher and Bowles.

Recently moved to port melb and is working in Melbourne. Told the seymour group wanted a fresh start down there. He can be a strange cat at times. I can imagine the dollar figure has a lot to do with it.

Points system...really if we think this is going to save footy then we are off the mark. All we have are a heap of footy people spending countless hours administering this instead of putting time into the growth of the game. I'm sick of hearing about it all to be honest. I want clubs to recruit who they like and not have this topic fill the airwaves and papers . I'm done with it!
Couldn't agree more points system is a load of s**t all it does is drop the standard of country footy, players leave and it's so hard to replace them, it's virtually impossible to get of the bottom of the ladder under that system, GV footy has been healthy for many decades clubs go up for a while have success then go down and rebuild, don't know why the AFL do gooders had to f**k it up.

Points system...really if we think this is going to save footy then we are off the mark. All we have are a heap of footy people spending countless hours administering this instead of putting time into the growth of the game. I'm sick of hearing about it all to be honest. I want clubs to recruit who they like and not have this topic fill the airwaves and papers . I'm done with it!
Yep totally over it also. Let clubs live by the sword and die by the sword. If they want to spend, then let them. It's obvious the points system will not work if there is capacity to have clubs ask for more. Given that the people making the decisions about granting extra points or not rest with individual human beings it's obvious that decisions will not be objectively made as these
Individuals have relationships with key people in clubs and you cannot help but have bias come in. Either scrap the points system or set it at a number and do not allow any exceptions. It needs to be very black and white to avoid any question marks on the integrity of the system.

Recently moved to port melb and is working in Melbourne. Told the seymour group wanted a fresh start down there. He can be a strange cat at times. I can imagine the dollar figure has a lot to do with it.
But no doubt he can play. From what I hear he will be used as a key big forward. Capable of causing some damage I would think. Cootes will do most of ruck work and get some great mentoring from the big fella. I think Tatura may have come up with a winner in this case. They probably need to find another goal kicker and a big defender to be really competitive.

Ultra is a man with his finger on the pulse what would Grenfells motivation to go too Tat be? Does he live at Seymour? Tat needed a couple of quality forwards and a couple of silky mids most of all I thought. Is no news bad news out of United? Has Lowden officially gone? along with Spangher and Bowles.
What's the go with Lowden? I would have thought the he would have already been signed up on contract. Also hasn't he just started a career in real estate with Kevin Hicks? Where would he be going? United can ill afford to lose the big unit.

I have followed how it worked in the mid Murray league long before it was thought about state wide. While the supporters up there said it wasn’t perfect, it helped protect the richer clubs within the league poaching the best players.
It is in its infancy but now it has spread across a number of leagues it helps prevent the travelling football going from clubbto club robbing them of their money and a younger local getting a go.
I think it promotes local club culture and fosters strength in junior programs.
It may be like what they said in the movie Argo “It is the best worst idea we have got”.
However I wanted my opinion to be seen just to let posters know not everyone think it’s a crap idea.
What help keeps this forum interesting is seeing our different view points.
I know how much more interest there has been in the development of the Ky juniors.
Money can be used in creative ways for recruiting but a player’s registration can not be.
I appreciate I few people having the respect in asking for my opinion despite having a contrary view.

I have followed how it worked in the mid Murray league long before it was thought about state wide. While the supporters up there said it wasn’t perfect, it helped protect the richer clubs within the league poaching the best players.
It is in its infancy but now it has spread across a number of leagues it helps prevent the travelling football going from clubbto club robbing them of their money and a younger local getting a go.
It may be like what they said in the movie Argo “It is the best worst idea we have got”.
However I wanted my opinion to be seen just to let posters know not everyone think it’s a crap idea.
I know how much more interest there has been in the development of the Ky juniors.
Money can be used in creative ways for recruiting but a player’s registration can not be.
I appreciate I few people having the respect in asking for my opinion despite having a contrary view.
It works well for Ky at the moment because they are lucky that they have a fair few players that have played at higher levels and come back as one point because of playing Ky juniors, recruited the Echuca blokes and Burstin before the points system came in and have added Smith and Pettifer since, don't think they could add all them now and be under, the problem is when clubs bottom out and can't recruit to rebuild if you don't have quality juniors, Longwood in the KDL a prime example recruited quality players but can't play them and still on the bottom.

I do appreciate your point of view Bootz. I do feel that clubs down the bottom will stay there. I cant see any of the bottom 2-3 GV sides launching into the finals next year. In fact I think it deflates the enthusiasm of the clubs realising that it could be a number of years before a climb can begin. Swans, Mooroopna, United probably wont play finals next year.It hasn't stopped Cupido finding yet another club. I applaud those who tried to fix the problems, however its not going to happen. Clubs will fold no matter what. Players will still accept big sign on fees to get around the salary cap, some clubs have higher points, some leagues as well. My point is that the football world is caught up commenting, administering and enforcing a points system when in fact clubs need to take responsibility for their own destiny and stop spending time on this. Punters pay to see the best players running around and it will get harder to attract star players to the GV in the future. It is evident that the standard has fallen alarmingly in the past few seasons. It wont be bolstered under a points system.We all bang on about developing juniors but clubs lose players to uni in Geelong, Melbourne, Albury and Bendigo. The points wont help that.

It works well for Ky at the moment because they are lucky that they have a fair few players that have played at higher levels and come back as one point because of playing Ky juniors, recruited the Echuca blokes and Burstin before the points system came in and have added Smith and Pettifer since, don't think they could add all them now and be under, the problem is when clubs bottom out and can't recruit to rebuild if you don't have quality juniors, Longwood in the KDL a prime example recruited quality players but can't play them and still on the bottom.
Was told recently from someone who had allegedly done the sums . That from this off season, Ky can add 2 x 5 pointers every year and remain under 40 points for the foreseeable future.
Scary thought for every other GVFL club I'd have thought especially those at the bottom of the ladder.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since its inception in earnest within the GM region , the 3 leagues , KDFL, MFL and GVFL have had the same premier every year and all with 15 points spare.
They'd also be favourite in most markets for 2018 , whilst all the comps have had greater bottoming out and more forfeits.

Not sure it has worked at all up home in the Central Murray. Kerang has won its 6th flag in a row!!

Not sure it has worked at all up home in the Central Murray. Kerang has won its 6th flag in a row!!
If they didn’t have the point system, along with extra points allocated to the smaller towns and those further from Swanhill, then clubs like Nyah- Nyah West would probably have closed up shop by now.

If they didn’t have the point system, along with extra points allocated to the smaller towns and those further from Swanhill, then clubs like Nyah- Nyah West would probably have closed up shop by now.

Bootz lets see how many clubs shut up shop in the next year or two. IMO the population drain from smaller centres to "sponge" towns or cities cannot be stopped by a points system. Nyah lost its trotting track and the points system couldn't stop that! Smaller towns will continue to struggle. As I've said well done to those who have tried to salvage football but I fear it will fail.

Was told recently from someone who had allegedly done the sums . That from this off season, Ky can add 2 x 5 pointers every year and remain under 40 points for the foreseeable future.
Scary thought for every other GVFL club I'd have thought especially those at the bottom of the ladder.
And the rest

Some more terrible news out of Euroa with the death of 2005 /06 player Daniel Sage yesterday in a farm accident yesterday. I'm sure the thoughts and prayers of all posters are with the Magpies at this time.

Terrible...the township of Euroa have had more than their fair share of tragedy in recent times. Thoughts are with everyone over there

Some more terrible news out of Euroa with the death of 2005 /06 player Daniel Sage yesterday in a farm accident yesterday. I'm sure the thoughts and prayers of all posters are with the Magpies at this time.
Thoughts and prayers for sure to family and friends of Daniel, a popular and revered figure amongst the GV fraternity.

Bootz lets see how many clubs shut up shop in the next year or two. IMO the population drain from smaller centres to "sponge" towns or cities cannot be stopped by a points system. Nyah lost its trotting track and the points system couldn't stop that! Smaller towns will continue to struggle. As I've said well done to those who have tried to salvage football but I fear it will fail.

The points system as it is at the moment ringo is aimed at getting rid of small town teams. How can you have a system where the highest points are awarded to metro clubs where tge majority of vics population is. Its makes no sense that a small mallee town tries to retain every local yet a metro club can go out and recruit who they like as they will fall within their allocated points. The points system does not work at the moment as every region does not work in together. You have sunbury in the bfl who have less points and salary then divvy 3 essendon and wrfl leagues, where these clubs can easily attract sunburys players. The points system has to have the least points for metro teams and the highest points for small clubs further from melbourne, but it appears the head honchos want to get rid of country footy as the standard of play in quality country major leagues has dropped whilst minor leagues close to melbourne has seen the standard shoot through the roof, just look at macedon inthe rdfl

The points system as it is at the moment ringo is aimed at getting rid of small town teams. How can you have a system where the highest points are awarded to metro clubs where tge majority of vics population is. Its makes no sense that a small mallee town tries to retain every local yet a metro club can go out and recruit who they like as they will fall within their allocated points. The points system does not work at the moment as every region does not work in together. You have sunbury in the bfl who have less points and salary then divvy 3 essendon and wrfl leagues, where these clubs can easily attract sunburys players. The points system has to have the least points for metro teams and the highest points for small clubs further from melbourne, but it appears the head honchos want to get rid of country footy as the standard of play in quality country major leagues has dropped whilst minor leagues close to melbourne has seen the standard shoot through the roof, just look at macedon inthe rdfl

I have a conspiracy theory mate...clubs fall over more watching on TV and at the games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back