Goulburn Valley FL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half back flanker when he left after United flogged Rochy at Euroa in a final in 2013 but I see he has been playing forward for Eaglehawk. Son of Crowbar Williams and plays like his old man. Won't chase. Not as big or as strong as Wayne either. Not even close to as good as little brother Dillon. Handy at best.

So not a'big' announcement...unless others coming too ...? ...Rootboy ...?[/QUORochester may not want Sean,brother is the one!

Wouldnt be as strong as Essendon but GV is a good comp in its own right
All Clubs worry about fundraising money to pay players so if locals are any good 9 times out of 10 they will be in. Also Clubs would normally use 30 to 40 players in the seniors over the course of a season so if they cant get an opportunity at some point they arent up to the level. Easy to say dont buy imports but without them you wouldnt be able to get near the pointy end and the interest around the club wouldnt be as great either.
No spud that is the view of ego driven club administrators who want to be remembered as being on the committee when the club won a senior flag rather than the one who stood strong to ensure the clubs future for the community . This shit started in the mid 80's by Tonny and progressed from there on to clubs like ky and echuca fighting over berry , Deledio and has continued to progress out of control.
This alone IMO is the reason why no one watches GV footy .
You may not have been around or remember but years ago the best player from the district comp went and had a crack at GV and his family were thrilled to follow and support him to play GV . Clubs like ky , rochy still operate this way and Sheldon did the same at echuca when they experienced prolonged success .

No spud that is the view of ego driven club administrators who want to be remembered as being on the committee when the club won a senior flag rather than the one who stood strong to ensure the clubs future for the community . This shot started in the mid 80's by Tonny and progressed from there on to clubs like ky and echuca fighting over berry , Deledio and has continued to progress out of control.
This alone IMO is ask or reason why no one watches GV footy .
You may not have been around or remember but years ago the best player from the district comp went and had a crack at GV . Clubs like ky , rochy still operate this way and Sheldon did the same at echuca when they experienced prolonged success .

Fair point Roar. You are correct with Kyabram and their subsequent mid-year sacking of Maurice Wingate, Wayne Deledio, Mckenzie et al one year in the mid-80's. Tonny ended up destroying their club in mid to late 80's with their many imports. Some premierships yes, but then an inability to compete. I bet those administrators are tugging at their belts and recalling how Tony and John Jones, Currie, Harrison, Cortese et al are all helping out the club now. (Tony Jones might be an exception)

Fair point Roar. You are correct with Kyabram and their subsequent mid-year sacking of Maurice Wingate, Wayne Deledio, Mckenzie et al one year in the mid-80's. Tonny ended up destroying their club in mid to late 80's with their many imports. Some premierships yes, but then an inability to compete. I bet those administrators are tugging at their belts and recalling how Tony and John Jones, Currie, Harrison, Cortese et al are all helping out the club now. (Tony Jones might be an exception)
Interestingly enough the decision for Tonny to spend up was quite split and eventually saw a overturning of the committee to allow the spend up .
The previous committee wanted to spend cash on facilities not seen in the league before , including lighting and the commencement of a pre season night series to challenge the then popular katandra night series .
In contrary ky pulled the pin mid season and almost immediately commenced plans on the wilf cox and investment in juniors .

Interestingly enough the decision for Tonny to spend up was quite split and eventually saw a overturning of the committee to allow the spend up .
The previous committee wanted to spend cash on facilities not seen in the league before , including lighting and the commencement of a pre season night series to challenge the then popular katandra night series .
In contrary ky pulled the pin mid season and almost immediately commenced plans on the wilf cox and investment in juniors .
Wasn't a good look for Ky to sack 5 players mid season ,the reason was they weren't going to play finals , plans were in place to build the wilf cox before that season from memory,set the club back a few years even though they weren't spending much cash , then came the massive import of players in the Stuildreier years without making a grand final even after an undefeated season , then winning in 96 with a team of locals under Copper White , interesting to look at the history of clubs .

No spud that is the view of ego driven club administrators who want to be remembered as being on the committee when the club won a senior flag rather than the one who stood strong to ensure the clubs future for the community . This shit started in the mid 80's by Tonny and progressed from there on to clubs like ky and echuca fighting over berry , Deledio and has continued to progress out of control.
This alone IMO is the reason why no one watches GV footy .
You may not have been around or remember but years ago the best player from the district comp went and had a crack at GV and his family were thrilled to follow and support him to play GV . Clubs like ky , rochy still operate this way and Sheldon did the same at echuca when they experienced prolonged success .
You might be right about what your saying about Tongala in their past but your driving down a different track to me. Alot of people make judgements about how success should be achieved eg heaps of locals dont spend much and in theory thats fine but they dont realise how hard it is to recruit and the cost of getting new players and keeping your own from other clubs. Look at Tat they ran with the locals because they got stuck behind the 8 ball everyone is patting them on the back but a year later they are back spending big because they want to win. Mooroopna will be the same next year and then we have to get out and about. Shepp have poured heaps into developing their own but now they are upping the ante as well. Dont kid yourself even Benalla who had heaps of licals in their flag paid top dollar.

You might be right about what your saying about Tongala in their past but your driving down a different track to me. Alot of people make judgements about how success should be achieved eg heaps of locals dont spend much and in theory thats fine but they dont realise how hard it is to recruit and the cost of getting new players and keeping your own from other clubs. Look at Tat they ran with the locals because they got stuck behind the 8 ball everyone is patting them on the back but a year later they are back spending big because they want to win. Mooroopna will be the same next year and then we have to get out and about. Shepp have poured heaps into developing their own but now they are upping the ante as well. Dont kid yourself even Benalla who had heaps of licals in their flag paid top dollar.
I don't kid myself I have some knowledge of what is transpiring in footy and in particular player payments .
I'd like Vic country to turn the clock back and zoning major league recruiting much the same as VFL use to be .
Reduce spending , increase promotion of footy within local communities , increase crowds .

How good was Stuildreier?? I remember him playing interleague and hearing of him across a couple of leagues when I was a young bloke
Yeah he was an unbelievable goalkicker 5 tons at Ky 160 in one year , unfortunately Ky couldn't win finals with him because they were to one dimensional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stulhy, also got two tons at Lavington in his I think three years, dominated against the weaker clubs, but Struggled against the better clubs in that era in the Om..

Maybe it's time clubs got back to providing a place for LOCALS to play footy rather than being a place where footballers go to get cash ?
Really does amaze me that the penny hasn't dropped at some clubs .
Despite the big money spending the clubs that are continually vying for a berth in the GF like rochy, ky , Benalla seem to always have a strong focus on local players and prolonged success rather than a big spend up .
Unfortunately roar more and more people are moving away from the gv to the city for uni and employment, which is happening to all leagues in the country that don't have a uni, that means the locals travel back each week, which after a while they get sick of, and to make up the numbers they are having to pay more to get players to come from the city. That is why I don't understand why metro clubs have been allocated more points, it seems like afl vic wants country teams to fold and is putting the squeeze on smaller towns where their heart beat is the local footy team

In my opinion Daryl Reid has been the best footballer at tongala in the last 30 years. Even better he was a rippingly good bloke in the mould of tank .

Yes mate when I wrote that I thought of Reid. Big backman with pointy elbow and a bloody good player. Like Tank at Rochy is a good comparison, as not so many accolades but played plenty of quality games for his local club.

And the beauty was that the GV club got a player for no outlay other than an invitation. You are spot on, young bloke did this and one of us went along to most games to watch. Was at uni in Melbourne, though, and three years of travel took its toll.

How good was Stuildreier?? I remember him playing interleague and hearing of him across a couple of leagues when I was a young bloke

He was a champion. Big, strong mark and a great kick and he just booted goal after goal. I remember he was a cop and he and Robbie Miller once got booked for belting each other and Stuhldreier got them both off. From memory, he didn't have a great record in finals or big games? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Unfortunately roar more and more people are moving away from the gv to the city for uni and employment, which is happening to all leagues in the country that don't have a uni, that means the locals travel back each week, which after a while they get sick of, and to make up the numbers they are having to pay more to get players to come from the city. That is why I don't understand why metro clubs have been allocated more points, it seems like afl vic wants country teams to fold and is putting the squeeze on smaller towns where their heart beat is the local footy team
Some decisions of the authorities continue to dissapoint me .
There is a real need and wish from the majority to strengthen ties between local clubs. Whether that be colbo/ locky and Rochy or nagambie/avenel and Seymour . Yet they have brought in a system which serves to increase animosity and divide . Seems a missed opportunity .
Furthermore, they recently distribute a glossy email telling us that Auskick numbers are up . Yes in gross total Auskick numbers are up but that is a direct result of the figures now including echuca / Moama Auskick centres. Based on what previous figures were calculated on Auskick numbers are apparently down by as much as 20% and this is despite increased female participation. This is a real concern for me as it further shows the shift away from footy to play other sports or no sport at all and at a age far earlier than the normal 12-16 age group.
We loose 20% of numbers in senior grades in 6-10 years , football in general and many local communities are in big strife.
We also see that Shepp district juniors have commenced more under 12 sides . If done so without decimating other local junior comps it is a great result . But it hasn't , surrounding clubs with higher retention rate of players into senior players have been severely affected by it .
These are just other examples shifting of chairs rather than addressing the real issues .
The game is losing it's appeal for kids to commence playing and even more so to continue to play beyond junior footy.

Sadly you are right not sure the AFL are to worried about the bush , what happens in the local communities wont affect the elite standard , unfortunately what's happening is a reflection of less water decreases jobs dry times young people not working in agriculture as much , more and more moving to the city , clubs will battle on because they always do but we will see more one sided comps with the big spending clubs dominating .

Tat aren't spending anymore than previous years. I think they have topped up well to support there local boys . Players like Owen McGough Wall Montgomery have been around the club for quite a while now and are all great leaders for the young blokes.

Tat aren't spending anymore than previous years. I think they have topped up well to support there local boys . Players like Owen McGough Wall Montgomery have been around the club for quite a while now and are all great leaders for the young blokes.

Am I missing something here? Last years list compared to what they have recruited this year = same money outlayed? Montgomery didnt play there last year and Wall and McGough only played when not playing VFL for Richmond.
I'm calling BULL5H1T

How did they destroy the club? They played off in a grand final again in 91 and were reasonably competitive throughout the 90's. They had a couple of rough years in the very late 80's but lots of clubs do after a successful era.

How did they destroy the club? They played off in a grand final again in 91 and were reasonably competitive throughout the 90's. They had a couple of rough years in the very late 80's but lots of clubs do after a successful era.
Tonny was just a victim of a little town in a big league nothing else .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back