Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously - you think the actual people to blame are those sitting up in the stand??

The players play the game! The structure allows them to switch, and they do constantly. Hombsch's coaching of the defensive unit has been one of the best things of the entire season - but they will still sometimes stuff things up!

Is your position just to excuse the players every time an error is made - or just to excuse your favourites?

They're not children and they need to take responsibility out there. Stop with the confirmation bias of just blaming the people you WANT to be wrong.
So we're coaching brilliantly, the team is just playing badly for the last 5 seasons

You can't possibly believe what you just wrote

The buck stops at the bottom

Seriously - you think the actual people to blame are those sitting up in the stand??

The players play the game! The structure allows them to switch, and they do constantly. Hombsch's coaching of the defensive unit has been one of the best things of the entire season - but they will still sometimes stuff things up!

Is your position just to excuse the players every time an error is made - or just to excuse your favourites?

They're not children and they need to take responsibility out there. Stop with the confirmation bias of just blaming the people you WANT to be wrong.
You can’t be serious. Might not have been obvious to you watching on the telly but we made no effort to switch as a collective group. Players weren’t making position but being ignored.

Thats not a playing group going rogue, that’s acting on instruction. Just like they acted on instruction when Nicks instigated the go slow game plan in rounds 1-4.

If a player isn’t playing to instruction they’d hear about it so they do what they are told. Hell Nicks spent the first 4 weeks blaming the players for a lack of shape when he told them not to play on but stop, go back, look for a pass.

It’s amazing to me that you can continue to find ways of defending the coaches and the club even when the bleeding obvious is staring you in the face, he’s just not coach that’s going to take us anywhere. He cost us any chance of finals FFS and yet you’re backing him in because he’s the Crows coach. That will change when he’s eventually sacked and guess what? Your opinion will change too.

And just for fun:

I think the main change is ACTUALLY HAVING a coaches box.

Nicks, Burns and a bunch of nobodies isn't good enough. It puts us miles behind everyone else.

Nicks is fine for leadership, but there's no evidence of strategic innovation.

I get that it's hard to get people to move here, but it feels like we've just given up.

"
ABC Sport player of the year votes:

Hugh McCluggage (Brisbane)

2. Matt Crouch (Adelaide)

1. Jack Payne (Brisbane) "

No Dawson or Rankine, wtf?

Everyone seems to quote Collingwood 17th in 2021 and they seem to forget the :-

• 2018 played off in a GF
  • 2019 played off in a Preliminary Final (which they just lost to GWS by less than a kick)
  • 2020 played off in a semifinal (finished 6th)
  • 2021 finished 17th
  • 2022 played off in a Preliminary Final
  • 2023 won a GF

2021 was the year out of whack with all the others. Buckley had run his course (10 years) and was replaced.

So over 6 years - played in two Grand Finals, played in two Preliminary Finals.

The facts speak for themselves.

Now do West Coast

So what you are saying is if they see him starting his career in defence - which seems likely - there isn’t really a match up for him?

He isn’t going to stand Daniher or Hipwood. Worrell is going to get the third tall so he can peel off and help against the KPFs (so Morris) so he is generally getting a mobile player - and many think he has midfield attributes so you would think he could compete one to one even with the speed disadvantage

May change of course with Worrell going down

But perhaps with this match up we should have dropped him and bought him back when the oppo is a little less intense. (West Coast etc)

Haven’t seen the replay but at the ground everyone around was not if but when Curtin would get subbed - maybe it didn’t look as bad on tv
I dont mind the analysis

My issue is going deep. Given your above description

o he is generally getting a mobile player - and many think he has midfield attributes so you would think he could compete one to one even with the speed disadvantage

Wouldnt it suggest he was either pushed too deep or allowed himself to go deep - which limits his effectiveness. Brisbane may have been clever with this

Maybe a word from the coach to let him know its ok to play higher and get someone else to take his man or make his man responsible if HE gets too many touches

I get no solace, or comfort, or anything at all from the AFL apologies.
All it means is that the Umps got it wrong and we have to wear it.
AFL apologies mean nothing and advance our cause zero.

With respect, I cannot agree.

Yes, we have drafted in some quality, Dawson/Rankine/ Rachele/ Soligo/ Pedlar/ Michalanney/ Worrell/ Keane but we're far, far away from being Finalists let alone Flag contenders.
The weak end of our team is too weak and we have a Coach whom I just cannot see being a Premiership Coach, sad to say.

I'm not sure what you mean by "misses". Players leaving? (Dangerfield, Lever, McGovern, Cameron, Keath)
Or the 2017 GF miss?

Gallucci, McHenry, Jones, McAsey

Just off the top of my head. First rounders that have missed. Then you add Milera (injury prone) and Lever, McGovern and Cameron leaving - there’s your potential premiership squad if 5 of those 8 are still here playing quality football

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ah, Blighty, what a player, what a Coach!! He's right, as well, as usual when it comes to footy.

Sorry, Jen, I cannot agree. 2-7 since the start of 2023 <== how is that closer?

Forget also that Brisbane were last year's Grand Finalist.
2024 Brisbane have been hit hard by injury and are not a shadow of their 2023 selves + they were also 3-5 going into the game.
The Crows are struggling and drew with another struggling side. I am not enthused, made even worse by Worrell's injury.

Collingwood were 17th in 2021, then Macrae (now there is a COACH!) took over.
Among other things, he trained them
--- how to fight back from behind and
--- how to win close games,
by drilling it into them and practising scenarios, you know, the things that good Coaches do.
17th to a Flag in two years.

In 4 years we went to 18th, 15th, 14th, 10th, currently 12th. That's not "closer" (to a Flag), either.
Two wins and a draw have all come this year… we are getting closer.

I dont mind the analysis

My issue is going deep. Given your above description

o he is generally getting a mobile player - and many think he has midfield attributes so you would think he could compete one to one even with the speed disadvantage

Wouldnt it suggest he was either pushed too deep or allowed himself to go deep - which limits his effectiveness. Brisbane may have been clever with this

Maybe a word from the coach to let him know its ok to play higher and get someone else to take his man or make his man responsible if HE gets too many touches

At the end of the day it was his positioning around the contest. It wasn’t like he was deep one on one marking contests. He was beaten - or in the wrong position - pretty much every time the ball came down, whether on the 50m arc or deeper

It’s early days for the kid but he has a bit to learn

Look at how Worrell came in and looked at home straight away - albeit waited a season in the Sanfl. Similar build and attributes

He just may need more time

So we're coaching brilliantly, the team is just playing badly for the last 5 seasons

You can't possibly believe what you just wrote

The buck stops at the bottom

Some blame sits with recruiting - we had almost zero talent on our list prior to the 2021 draft and trade period

Some sits with the coaching staff, match ups and game plan

Some sits on the players for execution

And some sits on the development of those guys added since 2021 still developing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gallucci, McHenry, Jones, McAsey

Just off the top of my head. First rounders that have missed. Then you add Milera (injury prone) and Lever, McGovern and Cameron leaving - there’s your potential premiership squad if 5 of those 8 are still here playing quality football

OK I see what you meant, thanks.

Youth. Lack of experience. Malcolm Blight said something along the lines last year that a young team will lose more close games than it wins. Then as it matures more, it starts to win those games they used to lose. We are getting closer.

3-5 in two goal games in 2021. 38% win record.

2-3 in two goals games in 2022. 40% win record

1-5 in two goal games in 2023. 20% win record

1-2-1 in two goal games in 2024. 25% win record.

Or we are just bad at winning close games because our head coach would get out-coached by a goldfish.

Last edited:
3-5 in two goal games in 2021. 38% win record.

2-3 in two goals games in 2022. 40% win record

1-5 in two goal games in 2023. 20% win record

1-2-1 in two goal games in 2024. 25% win record.

Or we are just bad at winning close games because our head coach would get outreached by a goldfish.

We are a red time team. As stated by one of the players on the weekend, the coaches shouted instructions to kick start the comeback. We have the same MO, when Nicks is staring down the barrell of losing he releases the shackled to switch to all out attack. Blight is talking about close games when we are in front in the dying minutes. Games like the Collingwood game last year. Not switching to all out attack from a flawed game plan that saw us fall substantially behind. We do this all the time.

Unfortunately we can't follow up after a good win. Beat Carlton, go down to Essendon. Beat Port, draw with Brisbane. We are close and usually in games. That seems to be a Nicks trait and gives us a chance.

Fogarty was good. Himmelberg was dangerous enough on Andrews, albeit Andrews still managed to intercept a lot. We are better with Himmelberg in our forward line as it gives Fogarty a chance to be on a lesser defender. Walker was disappointing on Payne.

Rankine, Dawson and Soligo were very good again.

I am constantly frustrated with O'Brien. His magnet is glued on to the team sheet. At the very least he should be able to clunk marks behind play and feed off to the runners. All he does is spill marks at his feet, or over the back, when in our defensive area and if he does ever get a possession in play, it's a rushed kick forward 25m.

Our defence was the worst it has been in a while. Curtin was exposed and then subbed early which ended up being very costly. Keane made too many costly mistakes and Worrell's injury just after half time was a disaster.

A draw isn't the worst result, but it is again below expectation against a weakened side on our home ground. We need to pull out a win against Collingwood to again kick start the season. Must win against West Coast, Hawthorn and Richmond. Then Sydney before the bye at home. 4 out of 5 wins at a minimum going in to the bye, or our season is shot.

Some blame sits with recruiting - we had almost zero talent on our list prior to the 2021 draft and trade period

Some sits with the coaching staff, match ups and game plan

Some sits on the players for execution

And some sits on the development of those guys added since 2021 still developing

Who changed our game plan during the preseason and rounds 1-4?

It was good, he was our 2nd most dangerous tall forward behind Fog. Looked like scoring anytime he went near the ball. That kick to Rankine I50 was sublime, so was the composure to hit Fog after a ground ball pickup in the 4th.
I agree, his ground work was excellent and is a better option than say Burgess or Gollant. The aerial work was obviously disappointing.

We are a red time team. As stated by one of the players on the weekend, the coaches shouted instructions to kick start the comeback.
Which player, please?
If that's correct, it's --- I'm lost for words :oops: :madv1:.
They "shouted instructions to kickstart the comeback"?? Did they think the Brisbane players/Coaches would not also hear that and adjust accordingly?
We have the same MO, when Nicks is staring down the barrell of losing he releases the shackled to switch to all out attack.
It's a pattern for sure.
Nicks' garbage game plan gets us three or four goals behind, so he sends out the message (via shouted instructions!!) to attack and we fight back, usually to lose closely or draw.
Not switching to all out attack from a flawed game plan that saw us fall substantially behind. We do this all the time.
Even worse, Nicks cannot see the pattern, nor does he have the brains/imagination to formulate another game plan (oh, I don't know :rolleyesv1:, how about attack-attack-attack!! to begin with?) so that we don't fall behind in the first place.

Suppose for a moment that the Club and Nicks mutually agreed to part ways, just as a hypothetical.
Can anybody in here (jenny61_99 included) imagine in their wildest dreams that any other Club would give Nicks their Head Coach job? Ever?
Yet our Club extended him for 2 years after a first-round loss :poov1::drunk:.

I am constantly frustrated with O'Brien. His magnet is glued on to the team sheet. At the very least he should be able to clunk marks behind play and feed off to the runners. All he does is spill marks at his feet, or over the back, when in our defensive area and if he does ever get a possession in play, it's a rushed kick forward 25m.
They used that same glue when they extended Nicks' contract (good post, btw).
I know it happened. I know it's a fact. I am still incredulous.
The Coach and the Club admin. have one fatal thing in common. Both reward failure. It's :poov1::grimacing:.
We need to pull out a win against Collingwood to again kick start the season. Must win against West Coast, Hawthorn and Richmond. Then Sydney before the bye at home. 4 out of 5 wins at a minimum going in to the bye, or our season is shot.
That projection (or hope) means we must win one of the Collingwood or Sydney games + all of the other 3.
The reality of the current situation (3-5-1) makes it unlikely.

I really, really hope I'm wrong but I just can't see it :sadv1:.
(Edit P.S. I predicted 2-8 after 10 rounds, and 3-6-1 or 4-5-1 is better than that)

Who changed our game plan during the preseason and rounds 1-4?

100% on Nicks - although players share some of that as well. Milera Hinge and Smith in particular all started the season really poorly. Was that game plan or them? Hard to tell. They have gradually improved (excluding Milera obviously) as the season has gone on. Dawson poor early and Walker injury didn’t help either
But I would agree Nicks over compensated on defence this year

Am I alone in thinking that the club has rushed Curtin into the AFL team before he was ready, succumbing to pressure from the public (mirrored here on BF)? He was hardly carving it up in the SANFL, and has struggled in the 2 AFL games he's played. Subbing him out may not have been popular, but was the right decision to make in both games.

Am I alone in thinking that the club has rushed Curtin into the AFL team before he was ready, succumbing to pressure from the public (mirrored here on BF)? He was hardly carving it up in the SANFL, and has struggled in the 2 AFL games he's played. Subbing him out may not have been popular, but was the right decision to make in both games.
Yes, I'm pretty sure you're alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back