Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet on the Brisbane board they're saying their 2 best players were fogs and walkers opposition.

You see the conundrum here. Fog did lots of good. But his man did lots of good too. I'm almost willing to say it's a dead heat in that contest. Without fog we lose. Without payne they lose.

Fogarty kicked 4 huge goals and could have had 5 - to say this is a bad game is stupid.

He was beaten as a defender.

Long term that is not his role.

Move him to wing or even HB.

Start his midfield education.

IF we wasted pick 8, after trading to get that pick, and see him as a pure defender, Then our club can not identify talent.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Curtin seems too slow for midfield. Camporealli on 5aa doesn’t see him as a mid either he said tonight .

Fogarty kicked 4 huge goals and could have had 5 - to say this is a bad game is stupid.
Interpreting me saying it was a bad game is stupid.

I'm trying to determine if he broke even and is average or whether he was good.

His performce is certainly being overrated. And people are ignoring his bad (similar to how this board ignores the good from mchenry/jones/rob/keays etc.)

Fwiw, i'm leaning to good over average.

Well, well, well, a draw. Not the result I hoped for at all. Certainly one of them matches where there's been some stellar performances & then some somewhat the reverse. Felt like just a few who carried us tonight whilst many well down.

The Good:

- Fogarty was huge, has had a great couple weeks now. Hopefully we can start seeing this regularly.
  • Rankine is so electric, just has hurt factor about him. Got us back going after a poor start to the 4th quarter or else we lose for sure.
  • Sholl has no put together a very strong 3 weeks. I was one of his earliest critics when others still thought he was amazing. I've since been one of the people drifting back to thinking maybe there's something to work with. Hopefully he can keep putting in performances like he has been. Jury will remain out for a while but regardless a very strong performance.
  • Dawson was excellent mostly, like Rankine really lifted to get us back into it in the 4th.
  • Keays was pretty good, less opportunity in his role but his pressure helped us get a goal or two which we otherwise wouldn't have had.
  • Soligo was good, not his best match but decent enough.
  • Himmelberg was pretty good, Andrews is a damn good defender, arguably the best KPD at present but Berg did ok.

Bad:

• Keane I thought just had a bad night, nothing much seemed to go right tonight. Has been huge for us this year so it is what it is, hopefully can get back into form next week.
  • Smith just doesn't have it anymore, perplexing decision to bring him back. Ball use was pretty poor, defensive work was worse.
  • Hinge like most of our defenders just didn't seem to be in the right spots or as effective tonight.
  • Tex you could just see was frustrated and having a bad night, Payne had him covered very effectively for most of the night. Tex bobbed up with a couple goals but got outmarked all night & couldn't get the ball to ground which really hurt.
  • Butts probably did ok technically if you look how many goals his opponent kicked but he turned it over a couple times again which was costly. Unfortunately wasn't offset with much the other way.
  • Curtin obviously looked out of his depth tonight, that's ok, he's a 2nd gamer and more of a KPD size so we need to manage our expectations. What I'm about to write about however is the more disappointing part of the Curtin game.
  • Umpires to me it felt horribly inconsistent tonight & like we were on the wrong side of it most of the night. Yes we ended up with more free kicks in total but that state can be misleading. To me this felt one of them nights. Maybe it's just the occasion of needing a win so I rode it harder, if I can stomach a rewatch maybe I'll feel differently.

Ugly:

Matthew Nicks deserves this one all on his own tonight in my opinion.

I thought he had a horror show & was worst on from the outset. From bringing Smith off sub after a sub par performance, to starting Nank as the sub, to subbing off Curtin at half time. As if subbing a 2nd gamer off at half time was bad enough, then we of course got an injury straight after. I just don't think its acceptable to panic a 2nd game player off at half time, we need a coach who says to the young kid it's been a tough start but I'm backing you in to go out there and win some contests. You know, instill confidence and belief into his young player, not probably smash his confidence to pieces effectively saying you're having a shocker, I've got no trust in you.

I also found it particular poor we just let Brisbane do their kicking game for basically 3.5 quarters, never making much meaningful attempt to shut it down and force them to do what they didn't want to do. Then you come to the D50 exits with the same predictable stuff (though it worked a little better tonight its still predictable, we didn't get pinned in as badly this time but its still meh) & on the flipside Brisbanes D50 exits were a breeze compared to ours. These things are becoming a constant, so it's not just an off night.

Special meniton to Worrell injury as ugly, otherwise it's all our coach tonight for me.

All in all bit disappointing, star performances by a few carried us but it just felt like we never fully got going. Season is most likely cooked but there is still things to take from the season. If we can get Fogarty back in form & firing that would certainly be a big deal for our longer term prospects as he's looked a mile off it until the last couple weeks.
Nicks subbing Curtin at half time tells you everything you need to know about his ability to develop young players.

Curtin seems too slow for midfield. Camporealli on 5aa doesn’t see him as a mid either he said tonight .
Then he was a wasted pick for us.

I feel there's a future there as a midfielder (both inside and out) but not in defence.

Ugly:
Not only do we roll with Nankervis as sub, but when we bring him on, we refuse to even play him for 5 seconds in his best position, the wing.

Tell me why he has to START the second half in defense?

6-6-6

Why the heck weren’t those 6 players
Michalanney
Butts
Worrell
Keane
Smith
Hinge

Yes I’m aware Worrell then got injured, further highlighting how stupid the decision to sub Curtin off at half time was, especially considering McHenry was playing the worst game ever played by a human person at that stage.

But the fact remains that Nankervis STARTED at half back, which is dumb. He’s a wingman. I’m sure everyone fell off their chairs when Nank’s opponent scored the first goal of the half - yeah maybe because Nank isn’t a fking defender for crying out loud.

Chayce Jones is not a wingman’s left nut and Chayce is actually pretty good defensively. Swap them. Fk me.

So let’s go through these decisions by Nicks.

1) selects McHenry in the 22 despite nobody with a clue thinking that’s a good idea - how did that work out?

2) selects Nankervis as sub despite there being 5 more suitable options in the 23.

3) Plays 2nd gamer 18 year old Dan Curtin as deep in defence as he possibly can, completely neutralising all of his strengths.

4) subs out Curtin for the 2nd week in a row (no doubt absolutely crushing his confidence in the process), this time at half time. 3 mins later we cop an injury to the most similar player in the squad to Curtin.

5) At the single most crucial moment of the game in the 4th qtr, rolls with NEITHER of Rankine or Dawson at the centre bounce.

This guy is an absolute dunce. Will never, ever even make finals, let alone anything approaching success. Sack it now.

The crazy thing now is we're actually playing alright - which highlights even further how useless Nicks is.

Can't blame the entire team for being out of form, now.

Love him bur Keane had a shocker today. Missed some crucial tackles and looked all at sea in the air.

He still needs work on positioning under the high ball
The worst thing he did was try to mark it in the goal square in a contest early in the game only for Cameron to kick the crumbing goal from the spill.

Should have punched it clear.

Very bad decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At half time I was there going.

If we make a sub right now it's either Curtin or mchenry or if you draw a bow, maybe cook.

In hindsight. Should've been cook. Unsighted on the 2nd half.

Bont and Pendles are hardly fast players, still dominant mids.

Appears as though we just drafted Curtin without any idea as to how he'd fit into our side.

Hopefully we can get WCs first pick for him.

Bont and Pendles are hardly fast players, still dominant mids.

Appears as though we just drafted Curtin without any idea as to how he'd fit into our side.

Hopefully we can get WCs first pick for him.
Burns said he’s a taller Grant Birchall. If that’s who we drafted, then great, but play him in that role. His defensive efforts were average and they need to improve regardless of where he plays, but he’s a 2nd gamer, taller players very rarely look settled from game one. Subbing him at half time just kills the confidence.

The Good:

Soligo - has been a revelation. Gun.
Rankine - superstar. Such a joy to watch.
Dawson - great game
Himmelberg - not a fan but was okay.
Rachelle - drifted in and out of the game but credit must be given for twice putting his body on the line when he had to.
Fogarty - great game. Looked a genuine key forward.
Crouch

The Bad:

Nicks - subbing of Curtin. Conservatism is killing this club and making it really hard for supporters to keep the faith.
Worrells injury
Jones and McHenry - both spuds, both not AFL standard. Disheartening for supporters to see these spuds getting games week after week.
Laird - the momentum killer.
Cook - We must persist with but FFS show some passion, grit and aggression.
Keane - I have been pleasantly surprised so far in 24 but all my initial concerns came to the fore. Was out bodied and out smarted by a genuine key forward. Poor game.
Sholl - sanfl footballer. Would dread taking him into a final.
Smith - time to hang them up.
The use of Curtin. Looks like we really did use pick 8 on a defender.
Getting a bit sick of the ‘group think’ Sholl critics on here. Has been good the last 2 weeks. Was brave on a few occasions today. Starting to show his weapons more consistently and growing in confidence. Still only 60 games

Getting a bit sick of the ‘group think’ Sholl critics on here. Has been good the last 2 weeks. Was brave on a few occasions today. Starting to show his weapons more consistently and growing in confidence. Still only 60 games
Thought he was fantastic today. Courageous mark running back with the flight early, offensively looking good and hitting scoreboard frequently, and then did well to contest a kick I50 from Charlie late in the 4th that looked an easy Brisbane mark with 3 on 1 against Sholl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back