Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I want those clowns who defended Nicks subbing of Curtin at 3/4 time last week - apparently because he was fatigued - defend that bald campaigner subbing Curtin at half time!

Was he even more fatigued after 9 days rest???

I hope you muppets are comfortable with Nicks as coach

Possibly. Brisbane's forwards under 190cm were clearly causing issues for our defense who are mostly 190cm plus. Nank is 190cm but he certainly can play smaller.

I think Nicks was trying to address this issue. If he didn't and Ah Chee, Cameron etc kicked on in the 3rd then people on here would be crucifying Nicks for not subbing a taller player earlier.

So it was a mistake to play Curtin along with 2 KPDs and an intercept 3rd tall?

I want those clowns who defended Nicks subbing of Curtin at 3/4 time last week - apparently because he was fatigued - defend that bald campaigner subbing Curtin at half time!

Was he even more fatigued after 9 days rest???

I hope you muppets are comfortable with Nicks as coach

Did you not watch the game. I felt for Curtin as he clearly was out of his depth on the day. Perhaps it was the match up but he was terrible in the first half. If the sub wasn’t made at half time it was going to be made not long after

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You think it was pre-planned to bring Curtin off at half time? I very strongly disagree. I think Nicks was reacting to the fact that Curtin was completely untenable defensively in the first half. If he was playing well he'd certainly have stayed on.

The more flexible option that I would have preferred would be to try re-shuffling our defensive options a bit and give Curtin 10-15 mins up the ground to see how he went and then sub Curtin off for Nank closer to 3/4 time if it wasn't working out, but I think it was a reactive sub for sure and an understandable one given how the game was going.

Anyway I was responding to you saying that the sub 'is for injuries' which is obviously not true as you've just acknowledged. It's for whatever the coach decides to use it on, and most subs are tactical subs.

No, just Curtin was always going to be subbed. It was likely to be the same plan as last week. Mid way through 3rd quarter. But 100% he was always going to sub him.

The sub is primarily there to cover injuries. The tactical sub was allowed so players weren't sitting there for a whole game, they could be played. They aren't really there to select a 5th player on the bench. I am fine with tactical subs, but I do think the AFL either should make a 5th player on the bench rule or remove the ability to make tactical changes before 3 quarter time.

As there was no need to sub Curtin at the time he should have waited until around red time of 3 quarter time to make put on the freshest legs he could. Could have easily and should have subbed out Sholl or McHenry had no injuries occurred at that point of the game. It would have given him a better idea as to how the game was playing out.

Sholl played a really strong game. Why would he have been subbed?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could see Nicks literally had his head in his hands when he made that decision, he knew it was a bad move.
You'd like to think that .....can I suggest, in losing one of his better performers tonight in Worrell ....his thoughts were with Josh, and how to cover him ?

No, just Curtin was always going to be subbed. It was likely to be the same plan as last week. Mid way through 3rd quarter. But 100% he was always going to sub him.

The sub is primarily there to cover injuries. The tactical sub was allowed so players weren't sitting there for a whole game, they could be played. They aren't really there to select a 5th player on the bench. I am fine with tactical subs, but I do think the AFL either should make a 5th player on the bench rule or remove the ability to make tactical changes before 3 quarter time.
I think Nank for Curtin was always likely but if Curtin had a good game they would have made other changes. I guess you can make your own mind up as to whether that is 'pre-planned' or not. Definitely not at all surprised Curtin was subbed off but pre-game you wouldn't have predicted it was going to happen at half time. That part was a response to the game.

I don't think anyone's writing him off, we just seem him more as a HB/mid given he played there regularly as a junior.

Playing him as a tall defender is doing nothing for his confidence. The kid has sublime skills, let him use them.
Keane, Butts and Worrell were the 3 talls. He’s playing as fourth defender. Easiest spot in defence. He just looks a bit confused. But I think he also looked very sore

Put the beer down, and watch the game ....not what you want to see

Your bias's are manifested in mirages on the footy field

Scott Burns said before Curtin's debut that they think he could be a Grant Birchall type player. He acknowledged he played some midfield last year, but it sounded like he will play a Birchall type role for now.

As much as I think Rachele has talent to burn, I'll be blunt.
I reckon if it's not lace-out down his throat, he's just not interested.

Rachele needs to accept that at AFL level he's not the star he used to be, knuckle down and give 100% for the team.
He spoiled Tex with a one-arm jump on the lead a few games ago (I have a long memory), he hears footsteps and plays like he resents not being the forward line focus like he once was.
His youth (plenty of time to learn) could be a plus if/when he realises and accepts it's not about him.
What are you on about? Rachele put his body on the line with 2 minutes to go and stopped Rayner getting a mark on 50. Should have been a free. He's 15th in the AFL for goal assists, in what way is that 'not for the team'? Averaging 17 disposals, 1 goal, 1 goal assist and 6 score involvements per game this year, they're very good numbers for his position.

Put the beer down, and watch the game ....not what you want to see

Your bias's are manifested in mirages on the footy field

Its like we give Curtin a taste of AFL... Barely let him get adjusted to AFL speed and standards then Sub him off before he even gets to think about how he can impact the game.

Its almost like a blueprint to destroy a kids confidence really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back