Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

That's my worry about getting it done at the local Ray Drummond, are they just going to sell me what they want to move
I had a full driver and iron fitting last week(ie. clubheads/shafts) at Club Champion in Heatherton with Gone Critical

Good fun.

I was pleased/saddened to (re)discover that I am a stock standard off the rack kinda guy. Standard club with stock shafts, stock grip.

Good result in that I can go ahead and easily source them online for cheep cheep.

Bad result in that I have once again received the message that nothing about my golf is special.

I had a full driver and iron fitting last week(ie. clubheads/shafts) at Club Champion in Heatherton with Gone Critical

Good fun.

I was pleased/saddened to (re)discover that I am a stock standard off the rack kinda guy. Standard club with stock shafts, stock grip.

Good result in that I can go ahead and easily source them online for cheep cheep.

Bad result in that I have once again received the message that nothing about my golf is special.
Is that at MGA?

Could you give a run down on how it went? Their testing, how many you hit, how they came to the recommendations etc?

Also did you basically get the data and specs and you can go and purchase from wherever is the cheapest?

Is that at MGA?

Could you give a run down on how it went? Their testing, how many you hit, how you came to the recommendations etc?

Also did you basically get the data and specs and you can go and purchase from wherever is the cheapest?
Yep, MGA. Was a driver and irons fitting using Trackman simulators. Started off with 6 iron, mine first to get base data. After warming up, it was circa 5 or more shots with each option, and the best 4 were taken for "analysis". From that, this is me guessing, the tester got an idea about which clubs to test on me.

Process starts with iron head testing, went through 4(I think) options - Srixon ZX5, TM790(or 770, cant remember which), PING, Cobra and possibly even one other that I can't remember. My head was spinning by the end of it. Rest assured, you get to hit enough balls. Once Srixon ZX5s were identified, we then tested four different shaft options.

Then onto the Driver with a similar approach - own, then head type, then shaft. Still had time up our sleeve so we went onto hybrid tests as well. Was not looking to hit any more balls by the end of it!

At the end I got the data(although i didn't get the ones from the non-recommended clubs) and a quote for them to build the clubs. Could easily go and buy elsewhere if you like. They sell the idea that they are better at putting the clubs together as they do more/better testing at the build phase, but I wasn't exactly sold on that.

Definitely an exercise worth doing even if you buy elsewhere. Good fun too.

Last edited:

Yep, MGA. Was a driver and irons fitting using Trackman simulators. Started off with 6 iron, mine first to get base data. After warming up, it was circa 5 or more shots with each option, and the best 4 were taken for "analysis". From that, this is me guessing, the tester got an idea about which clubs to test on me.

Process starts with iron head testing, went through 4(I think) options - Srixon ZSX5, TM790(or 770, cant remember which), PING, Cobra and possibly even one other that I can't remember. My head was spinning by the end of it. Rest assured, you get to hit enough balls. Once Srixon ZX5s were identified, we then tested four different shaft options.

Then onto the Driver with a similar approach - own, then head type, then shaft. Still had time up our sleeve so we went onto hybrid tests as well. Was not looking to hit any more balls by the end of it!

At the end I got the data(although i didn't get the ones from the non-recommended clubs) and a quote for them to build the clubs. Could easily go and buy elsewhere if you like. They sell the idea that they are better at putting the clubs together as they do more/better testing at the build phase, but I wasn't exactly sold on that.

Definitely an exercise worth doing even if you buy elsewhere. Good fun too.
Is Gone Critical the fitter?

Is Gone Critical the fitter?
One other thing - if you are going to do it, find out the actual loft of your 6 iron before you go in there. Just so you are comparing apples with apples. My (very old) Titleist 6 iron loft is 32 degrees compared to the ZXR5 which is 27... So of course the new clubs are going to go a bit further...

I can also vouch its a fun process and you get well looked after. They will guide you to certain clubs and shafts but you get a pretty good range of the clubs you should go into (maybe not what you want to be able to hit). If you have any clubs you really want to try they will do that and have a good range. They are not cheap and maybe the hand made shafts are a bit of an extravagance but you can pay for the session and then take the info elsewhere.

The new 6 iron I got put into has extra distance but more importantly has great dispersion and felt really good. Lofts were same for both but about 15m more distance.

Sideys biggest aim for the day was to have the faster driver clubhead speed. He was dreaming.

I can also vouch its a fun process and you get well looked after. They will guide you to certain clubs and shafts but you get a pretty good range of the clubs you should go into (maybe not what you want to be able to hit). If you have any clubs you really want to try they will do that and have a good range. They are not cheap and maybe the hand made shafts are a bit of an extravagance but you can pay for the session and then take the info elsewhere.

The new 6 iron I got put into has extra distance but more importantly has great dispersion and felt really good. Lofts were same for both but about 15m more distance.

Sideys biggest aim for the day was to have the faster driver clubhead speed. He was dreaming.
Your irons were fitted with graphite shafts. No matter how fast you might swing it, and no matter how stiff those shafts might be, to the observer(if there was one) you will look like an elderly gent slapping around age-appropriate whippy sticks made out of liquorice.

That's my worry about getting it done at the local Ray Drummond, are they just going to sell me what they want to move
It's the most unregulated industry of all time.

Imagine allowing some work experience kid at Drummonds with potentially no idea/skill to fit you into clubs. Half of them can't even do a regrip properly.

Club Champion have this offer on ATM. Catch is you gotta buy something

Yeh it's not really an offer at all.

Any club fitter completely refunds your fitting fee if you purchase, so this is basically just marketing to get you in, there's no benefit if you don't buy and if you do buy, 95% of the fitters don't charge you for the fitting anyway....

It's the most unregulated industry of all time.

Imagine allowing some work experience kid at Drummonds with potentially no idea/skill to fit you into clubs. Half of them can't even do a regrip properly.
That’s why I don’t buy from my club pro and his staff. They only try and sell me whatever left handed club/s they have in stock.

That’s why I don’t buy from my club pro and his staff. They only try and sell me whatever left handed club/s they have in stock.

That’s disgraceful. It’s their job to sell you what’s best for you not them.
An indictment on the pro shop and club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny that, I feel like I would trust a club pro / your coach more than I'd trust a retail guy at Drummond or House of Golf, and probably even more so than an agnostic club fitter who probably still makes bigger commissions on certain products than others.

Funny that, I feel like I would trust a club pro / your coach more than I'd trust a retail guy at Drummond or House of Golf, and probably even more so than an agnostic club fitter who probably still makes bigger commissions on certain products than others.

For the average club pro, they will be restricted to only a limited range of brands - but thats good enough, pricing aside.

Reckon the player can take a fair bit of responsibility these days. Realistically, for say 90% of us, if you know your clubhead speed and your general “level of play”, you can pretty much guess what club is going to be recommended. Most brands have game improvement, average and players’ lines. Pick one.

From there, pick your preferred brand and you are almost home.

Of course, there are infinite variations on shafts, etc., but for the vast majority, the stock offerings will be the more than good enough option.

Onto drivers, get the best you can afford - because the pros play the same options as the rest of us. With a variation on loft or model for players with say a massive right miss or those who can’t launch it.

Was listening to a PING podcast on fitting the other day. Head fitter basically conceded that for the average player with inconsistent contact, the “average” offering will be the recommendation - in the absence of something like one specific “issue” to work on - because there will be many. Which makes sense, but removes a bit of the magic of custom fitting.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For the average club pro, they will be restricted to only a limited range of brands - but thats good enough, pricing aside.

Reckon the player can take a fair bit of responsibility these days. Realistically, for say 90% of us, if you know your clubhead speed and your general “level of play”, you can pretty much guess what club is going to be recommended. Most brands have game improvement, average and players’ lines. Pick one.

From there, pick your preferred brand and you are almost home.

Of course, there are infinite variations on shafts, etc., but for the vast majority, the stock offerings will be the more than good enough option.

Onto drivers, get the best you can afford - because the pros play the same options as the rest of us. With a variation on loft or model for players with say a massive right miss or those who can’t launch it.

Was listening to a PING podcast on fitting the other day. Head fitter basically conceded that for the average player with inconsistent contact, the “average” offering will be the recommendation - in the absence of something like one specific “issue” to work on - because there will be many. Which makes sense, but removes a bit of the magic of custom fitting.

I've had x3 fittings. The last was just this. A Mizuno on course fitting. I had Mizuno MP29's for about 10-15 years, went thinking there could be something better after that time. Was thinking about a more forgiving iron like Koepka plays (JPX?), went through all of the irons (with trackman) and was constantly asked 'what do you like?' Ended up with the MP18's, so blades again. Shaft was selected mainly around club head speed, but also trajectory and feel. I really just ended up with a new version of what I already had. Which is sort of good and bad I guess.

I've had x3 fittings. The last was just this. A Mizuno on course fitting. I had Mizuno MP29's for about 10-15 years, went thinking there could be something better after that time. Was thinking about a more forgiving iron like Koepka plays (JPX?), went through all of the irons (with trackman) and was constantly asked 'what do you like?' Ended up with the MP18's, so blades again. Shaft was selected mainly around club head speed, but also trajectory and feel. I really just ended up with a new version of what I already had. Which is sort of good and bad I guess.
Sounds like there is a good chance you are getting fitted right if there is consistency in recommendation and your swing hasn't changed much.

Yeh it's not really an offer at all.

Any club fitter completely refunds your fitting fee if you purchase, so this is basically just marketing to get you in, there's no benefit if you don't buy and if you do buy, 95% of the fitters don't charge you for the fitting anyway....
Yeah its a bit of an expense but you do book up to 4 hours of time if you do a full bag. 2 and 1/2 hours for irons and drivers which we did recently so its a lot longer and more varied than your club pro fitting.

If you like hitting and seeing figures on trackman its just a lot of fun so I see it as paying for the venue and experience. If you use their facility and expertise for a few hours and don't buy not too unreasonable.

Their products are exy though.

I got my last clubs there 6 years ago when they were in Sandy. Went cause I saw their adds and wanted to be fitted to wedges. They had half price for the 4 hour full bag option , which I did over 2 sessions, left with new putter, driver , irons and wedges. I am suggestable.

One thing I did like the other day was seeing the figures for the 6 iron I got 6 years ago and the 3 wood I had then and still have were almost identical 6 years apart. Gives me confidence the new irons and 4 wood i just got will go better than the old ones. I said I'm suggestable. Also had some flaking of the front surface of the driver I got there 18 months ago. They said should be able to get a new one under warranty and they called me yesterday to say it had arrived. TM Q10LS. Happy with that

Yeah its a bit of an expense but you do book up to 4 hours of time if you do a full bag. 2 and 1/2 hours for irons and drivers which we did recently so its a lot longer and more varied than your club pro fitting.

If you like hitting and seeing figures on trackman its just a lot of fun so I see it as paying for the venue and experience. If you use their facility and expertise for a few hours and don't buy not too unreasonable.

Their products are exy though.

I got my last clubs there 6 years ago when they were in Sandy. Went cause I saw their adds and wanted to be fitted to wedges. They had half price for the 4 hour full bag option , which I did over 2 sessions, left with new putter, driver , irons and wedges. I am suggestable.

One thing I did like the other day was seeing the figures for the 6 iron I got 6 years ago and the 3 wood I had then and still have were almost identical 6 years apart. Gives me confidence the new irons and 4 wood i just got will go better than the old ones. I said I'm suggestable. Also had some flaking of the front surface of the driver I got there 18 months ago. They said should be able to get a new one under warranty and they called me yesterday to say it had arrived. TM Q10LS. Happy with that

Test for your simulator. Hit some wedges, then spray water on your balls, the golf balls that is, and see how much the spin is affected.

I am struggling with the longer clubs, no consistency at all. Thinking of removing my 2 iron, 4, 5 and possibly 6 and moving into hybrids. I am aging a bit and unfit in some ways.

Club fitter has been contacted. I will keep you posted.

Having said that it could be just a technical thing, mucking around with longer clubs and face spray this morning and definitely hitting everything out towards the toe a bit. Tried setting up with the ball closer to the shaft but that made no difference.

I am struggling with the longer clubs, no consistency at all. Thinking of removing my 2 iron, 4, 5 and possibly 6 and moving into hybrids. I am aging a bit and unfit in some ways.

Having said that it could be just a technical thing, mucking around with longer clubs and face spray this morning and definitely hitting everything out towards the toe a bit. Tried setting up with the ball closer to the shaft but that made no difference.
I did that ages ago.
Longest iron in my bag is a 7.
Bought a 7W which is my favourite club...can hit it anywhere from 150 to 190 which covers those mid irons.
4R and 3H cover the long irons...so much easier to hit.

5w and 9w are your friend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back