News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

some of us losers might also like to know some stats, scores from other grounds, late team selection changes or even just be able to contact family members to organise transport home.
I'm agreeing that the service is s**t house, I'd also love to be able to message mates to try meet at half time, check in at home etc

I actually thought the reception was better yesterday than it's been for a while - only time it was slow was the first half of hairstyle halftime

I walked from the Players Stand to the Selwood Stand to buy a burger, and by the time I got back it was ok. I didn't have any other issues

I'm agreeing that the service is s**t house, I'd also love to be able to message mates to try meet at half time, check in at home etc
Waited in long temporary fenced off lines to enter Selwood Stand at Gate 1. Why didn't the architects design maybe 10 points of entry?? The temp fencing is a testament to a lack of entry. In the Selwood Stand television monitors showed Free WI Fi. So I accessed a connection to a Kardinia wi fi but a Password was required. I asked 2 customer service staff after waiting until they finished a social chat ignoring me, what wi fi and any password was available and they had no clue about any Wi Fi at all. Of course no internet and mobile reception.

Waited in long temporary fenced off lines to enter Selwood Stand at Gate 1. Why didn't the architects design maybe 10 points of entry?? The temp fencing is a testament to a lack of entry. In the Selwood Stand television monitors showed Free WI Fi. So I accessed a connection to a Kardinia wi fi but a Password was required. I asked 2 customer service staff after waiting until they finished a social chat ignoring me, what wi fi and any password was available and they had no clue about any Wi Fi at all. Of course no internet and mobile reception.
I've tried to access the WiFi they advertise before but it never works

The club is going to have to do something about the supporters club behind the goals. It’s ******* embarrassing that that section has been half empty for Geelongs first two home games this year.

Either reduce their allocation or force them to increase the membership. I vote for the former, open those tickets back up for general sale if they can’t fill it up.

I actually thought the reception was better yesterday than it's been for a while - only time it was slow was the first half of hairstyle halftime

I walked from the Players Stand to the Selwood Stand to buy a burger, and by the time I got back it was ok. I didn't have any other issues
I’m another that had a little more luck with reception this time around- but only after shutting down my phone, restarting it and setting my Voice & Data mode to “5G Auto “and setting my data mode to “Low Data Mode”. I could actually send off a few texts and load some web pages.
Will it work next match?
Who knows!

I thought the atmosphere was a little disappointing after the bumper crowd last game. Not too many North fans (and not much for them to get excited about, admittedly). What did everyone else think? There were 31k there, so I thought we’d get some more noise!

One thing I did notice was the low pitched “chant” coming from the Selwood stand, possibly standing room. Did anyone else hear it, know where it originated or what it was all about? It sounded like a continuous, “Whooooaaa” and it was during the third quarter that I became aware of it.

The 31k attendance was great to see considering the train issues, starting time and the likelihood of a one sided match. I think it hints that we will get 30000+ each game (unless the weather is particularly terrible). It wouldn’t surprise me if we average 33-35k for the season given the games to come.

One thing I did notice was the low pitched “chant” coming from the Selwood stand, possibly standing room. Did anyone else hear it, know where it originated or what it was all about? It sounded like a continuous, “Whooooaaa” and it was during the third quarter that I became aware of it.

Yeah heard it too, and then saw it on social media after. Was from the standing area, kind of ironic cheering when the kangas were chipping it around with a bit of boring uncontested stuff. Cheering every mark. Was a nice boring quarter so don’t blame them haha

The free wifi network has no password, but it doesn't work anyway. There are other stadium wifi networks which you might've seen with passwords but they're not for public access.

Edit: It worked briefly for me about an hour before the game, but at some point when the stadium was about a quarter full it just stopped working – well before the cell signal called it quits, which kinda defeats its purpose as a fallback to having no phone signal.

Last edited:
Sunday was my first game this year, so first look at the ground with the completed Selwood stand. The stadium looks terrific now. I was in the Hickey Stand and love how you can easily walk right around through the Selwood stand and beyond.

I had terrible phone reception. Basically non existent. Not good enough.

I heard the chant coming from the standing room too. It added some atmosphere.

Looking forward to attending a night match later in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Head of KPARK TRUST on KROCK.

Optus and Telstra Towers on top of Hickey stand is the plan.

NExt 6-12 months.

KPARK Trust is working on it.

Was planned to be part of Comm Games development and that died with that.
Ha! This is explains it then. Old mate Dan (well, actually us tax payers) we're going to foot the bill so it wasn't budgeted or in-scope for Stage 5. Dan kills Comm Games, and now we're left shafted for this season. Here's hoping fixed by next season then.
Just glad they're on it, and willing to go public about it.

Ok, so I could do a massive posted about the cluster-f*ck at the North game behind the C-level bays of the Selwood stand, next to the Brownlow. Stick with me here.

The staff are NOT permitted or enabled or in fact "trusted" (manager's words to me, including her she has no access) to process refunds at these card-only tills. So they charge me double for one beer, and so after faffing about for 10mins I just said give me a second beer.

Then at half-time some muppet near the fryers bumped the emergency gas-cut off system, killing the fryers. Which I find odd as aren't they electrical? Worst of all, the staff decide to stop serving because of this. Why would you not offer to sell the food under the warmers, or drinks or donuts etc to those who want them.

I'll say this much, I thought Spotless were sh*t, but this new mob O'Brien Group are shockingly unprepared, with their people untrained I felt for a few of them who were nice and genuinely trying their best.

So I accessed a connection to a Kardinia wi fi but a Password was required.
Wrong one then. The free WiFi requires no password, but what does happen (eventually) is you need to try browse a webpage, and that'll trigger a captive portal, where you can just enter a fake name or whatever to get past it, then you're all good.
Because of the load it was under this bit was taking forever, and I also noticed once done if you locked your phone it booted you out too soon compared to mot systems like this. Probably configured this way due to a lack of capacity versus demand.

I thought the atmosphere was a little disappointing after the bumper crowd last game.
Totally agree, no atmosphere at all, but I fully expected this. Sunday arvo game against a witches-hat Nth Melb.

Told the old man, if this was our 2011 side, it could've been a repeat of that Melbourne game. North were just woeful, our boys did enough to win with ease, get some percentage, and avoid any major dramas.

And we play them again before finals. lol

The roof of the hickey stand is a pretty camera prominent spot to be putting phone towers. I would hope that they’re concealed, small, or maybe mounted on the moorabool steet facade. They won’t want to make it look any more of a sore thumb.

Do they still have the 2007,2009 and 2011 flags on the hickey stand, or have they switched 2007 for 2022? It would be nice to to evenly spread out replicas of all of the premiership flags geelong have won on the roof.

The club is going to have to do something about the supporters club behind the goals. It’s ******* embarrassing that that section has been half empty for Geelongs first two home games this year.

Either reduce their allocation or force them to increase the membership. I vote for the former, open those tickets back up for general sale if they can’t fill it up.
Has this been raised with the club doees anyone know? Agree a little embarrassing but can be easily fixed. You'd assume they would be Straight on to it for optics sake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back