Gippsland League Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Warragul won't win the spoon... they may have lost Scalzo, but they've got a swag of returning players this season, so they'll have more depth than last year.

Sale in 2018 get back Gooch, Quirk, Ronchi, Kaandorp, Makay, plus the Dowse twins from Heyfield. Have already comfortably beaten Bairnsdale at Bairnsdale with about a dozen regulars out and stormed all over a fairly strong NGFL Yarram, minus a similar number on the day. Smaller onballers look very strong and faster too, rucks will be a highlight. Numbers at training up quite a bit. Both the Dessent boys (Brad is massive) are really fit now and Martin dominating centre bounce clearances. Will be quite competitive. In both 2016/17 they stormed home to almost make the finals, no promises but bring on Rd 1. Even good numbers around for reserves and U/16 and U/18's. I hear Maffra have lost their ruckman and full forward plus a couple of others.

Last edited:
Sale in 2018 get back Gooch, Quirk, Ronchi, Kaandorp, Makay, plus the Dowse twins from Heyfield and a couple of other good players.

Some good experienced returnees. That’s twice now you’ve mentioned ‘a couple of other good players’, who are they? It appears as though Sale have got some players back to the club and also recruited the Dowse bros, is that all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sale to finish near bottom say a few of you! Have comfortably worked over a very dominant NGFL team in Yarram in a prac game, done the same to Bairnsdale in a prac game, beaten a strong Moe on their patch, beaten a hot favourite Traralgon on their patch without Ronchi and Gooch , and will face Morwell next game. Only Maffra deservedly got over them comfortably in 1st round. Hmm, don't think a near bottom finish is gunna work out !

Working over a NGFL team isn't a massive achievement... it's a fair step down in standards. The Tgon win is impressive though. Maffra clearly looking like the team to beat once again, interesting to see that they're playing with the bare minimum 22 player points. Props to them for developing and keeping quality locals

A top player was phoned by selectors of the interleague squad and asked why he wasn't at training. It may have helped if someone had advised him and his club that he was in fact selected. I'm since told this was not the only stuff up. Who are the idiots responsible? Bet there are no apologies !

3 rounds to go. Who wins?
Flag?
Goal kicker?
League BnF?

I'd go with Gatha for the flag, with the two big key forwards they look better than last year
Dunne over Bennett, has an easier run of games home to cash in. Will be very close
Jordan Dessent for BF.

Flag?
Goal kicker?
League BnF?

I'd go with Gatha for the flag, with the two big key forwards they look better than last year
Dunne over Bennett, has an easier run of games home to cash in. Will be very close
Jordan Dessent for BF.
Flag Leongatha
Goal kicking Dunne
Trood Award Jack Lipman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone heard anything regarding coaching positions next year? Sounds like a lot of clubs in the hunt!!

Drouin the same
Warragul Looking for a new coach

I thought Kingi was staying on at Drouin?

Traralgon , Morwell, Moe and Warragul from what i've heard all seeking new coaches.

Yesterday's South Gippy Sentinel-Times, in their write-up of the Drouin-Wonthaggi game, referred to it being "Stuart Gilmour's last game at the helm", so you can add the Power to that list

Flag?
Goal kicker?
League BnF?

Jordan Dessent for BF.
Maffra for flag
Dunne goalkicking
Eddie Morris bnf

The report had Gippsland League as unchanged.
-Seniors
-Reserves
-18's
-16's

10 clubs same as this year.

Hopefully we get some form of assistance with poor junior numbers. From what I know these are this years numbers from each of the 10 junior clubs 16's and 18's. All numbers are approximate.

16's (in ladder order)
B'dale: 25+
Wonthaggi: 25+
Sale: 25+
Morwell 25+
Moe: 25
------
Gatha: 24
Tgon: 25+
Maffra: 19-20
Warragul: 22+
Drouin: 22+

18's (in ladder order)
Moe: 22+ (plenty in and out of 1's)
Bairnsdale: 40 ish (not all got games throughtout the year)
Sale: 22+
Gatha: 20+ (lost a lot to gippy power)
----
Wonthaggi: 18+
Maffra: 18+
Morwell: 15+
Drouin: had about 15 players start of year and ended up folding after 3 rounds

The report had Gippsland League as unchanged.
-Seniors
-Reserves
-18's
-16's

10 clubs same as this year.

Hopefully we get some form of assistance with poor junior numbers. From what I know these are this years numbers from each of the 10 junior clubs 16's and 18's. All numbers are approximate.

16's (in ladder order)
B'dale: 25+
Wonthaggi: 25+
Sale: 25+
Morwell 25+
Moe: 25
------
Gatha: 24
Maffra: 19-20
Drouin: 22+

18's (in ladder order)
Moe: 22+ (plenty in and out of 1's)
Bairnsdale: 40 ish (not all got games throughtout the year)
Sale: 22+
Gatha: 20+ (lost a lot to gippy power)
----
Wonthaggi: 18+
Maffra: 18+
Morwell: 15+
Drouin: had about 15 players start of year and ended up folding after 3 rounds
correct Gippsland league stays the same in 2019...but if anyone cares too read the full report...Afl Gippsland wants too have a discussion with the Gippsland league clubs about implementing an east west conference as early as 2020...so that tells me changes are coming too the Gippsland league in the near future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back