Gippsland League Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Big news, anyone able to share the article with me?

Pretty much just apologised & gives a watered down version of what he said in his podcast with a few mates during a review of the Gippsland League's top 50 - the player he criticised was Jordan Staley from Wonthaggi Football Club.
Said he was playing footy for the wrong reasons, had footage of him hitting blokes 7-8 different times off the ball/behind the play and that if it happened again next year they'd fly the flag yada yada and they'd do things a bit differently cause the umpires didn't do anything about it. His co-host chimed in & said something about expecting it from Wonthaggi. McGibney went in again & said "Jordan Staley can go & get ****ed and that's on the record" (without the bigfooty censorship). They moved on to the next player but then went on about Staley a bit more later on in the podcast too.

Wonthaggi obviously weren't happy with the comments & they wanted the episode of the podcast removed (it was almost immediately) and wanted an apology but never wanted him to be sacked but that's the decision Traralgon went with, sends a strong message I spose but feels a bit over the top.

The comments in the article from McGibney about what you'd expect, he's disappointed, he apologised but stands by the fact he doesn't think the player is playing for the right reasons & said the remarks were a bit offhand but said in strength. Then says the rival club did everything as they should've, put in a complaint & went through relevant bodies, took the right steps and he ended up with a please explain. He says he ticked every box & apologised via hand written letters to the club and was doing a course on social media conduct. No comment from Tgon, he says he's disappointed but doesn't hold any resentment toward the club but also that they'd think it's a strong decision & he thinks otherwise.

Last edited:
Pretty much just apologised & gives a watered down version of what he said in his podcast with a few mates during a review of the Gippsland League's top 50 - the player he criticised was Jordan Staley from Wonthaggi Football Club.
Said he was playing footy for the wrong reasons, had footage of him hitting blokes 7-8 different times off the ball/behind the play and that if it happened again next year they'd fly the flag yada yada and they'd do things a bit differently cause the umpires didn't do anything about it. His co-host chimed in & said something about expecting it from Wonthaggi. McGibney went in again & said "Jordan Staley can go & get f’ed and that's on the record" (without the bigfooty censorship). They moved on to the next player but then went on about Staley a bit more later on in the podcast too.

Wonthaggi obviously weren't happy with the comments & they wanted the episode of the podcast removed (it was almost immediately) and wanted an apology but never wanted him to be sacked but that's the decision Traralgon went with, sends a strong message I spose but feels a bit over the top.

The comments in the article from McGibney about what you'd expect, he's disappointed, he apologised but stands by the fact he doesn't think the player is playing for the right reasons & said the remarks were a bit offhand but said in strength. Then says the rival club did everything as they should've, put in a complaint & went through relevant bodies, took the right steps and he ended up with a please explain. He says he ticked every box & apologised via hand written letters to the club and was doing a course on social media conduct. No comment from Tgon, he says he's disappointed but doesn't hold any resentment toward the club but also that they'd think it's a strong decision & he thinks otherwise.
Behind play when the bloke is not watching/prepared, is definitely pretty average.

Luckily I played before the send off rule. Umpires weren’t real keen to go out on a cold, wet Monday night so they would give you a warning for aggressive spoils and shepherds.

Never explain, never complain back then. First quarters in GFs weren’t for faint hearts, few key players were knocked out before the starting siren - dubious tactics.

Last edited:

Behind play when the bloke is not watching/prepared, is definitely pretty average.

Luckily I played before the send off rule. Umpires weren’t real keen to go out on a cold, wet Monday night so they would give you a warning for aggressive spoils and shepherds.

Never explain, never complain back then. First quarters in GFs weren’t for faint hearts, few key players were knocked out before the starting siren - dubious tactics.
It is but if you really have footage of it and want to sort it out as was claimed by the coach, take it to the umpires association to ask for a please explain or to the league... Also I'm not sure that it was so much behind play when they weren't watching as it was late in a contest after a mark was taken or whatever. I could be wrong there though. The criticism of the rival club & supposed threatening of the player breached the code of conduct so there had to be some action taken. It's a more professionally organised competition these days, coaches are pretty well paid for a part time gig and I think it's fair enough to expect better. Still don't think he should've been given any more than a slap on the wrist and Tgon have since admitted on their facebook that they wanted to get a playing coach in for next season.

As much as the nostalgia of punch ons and big hits gets some people going, it's probably for the best that blokes are a bit more protected these days, have seen some blokes with life long effects from playing footy and getting smashed outside of the rules.

It is but if you really have footage of it and want to sort it out as was claimed by the coach, take it to the umpires association to ask for a please explain or to the league... Also I'm not sure that it was so much behind play when they weren't watching as it was late in a contest after a mark was taken or whatever. I could be wrong there though. The criticism of the rival club & supposed threatening of the player breached the code of conduct so there had to be some action taken. It's a more professionally organised competition these days, coaches are pretty well paid for a part time gig and I think it's fair enough to expect better. Still don't think he should've been given any more than a slap on the wrist and Tgon have since admitted on their facebook that they wanted to get a playing coach in for next season.

As much as the nostalgia of punch ons and big hits gets some people going, it's probably for the best that blokes are a bit more protected these days, have seen some blokes with life long effects from playing footy and getting smashed outside of the rules.
True. I was very focused on getting my city the four points and took it a bit far at times.
It’s actually assault, and the crowd go to see the best footballers play; not scragging and ‘squirrel grips’.

Some big coaching moves this season. Best to Traralgon, Blair to Wonthaggi, Heppell to Leongatha. Anyone know of any other big signings players or coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back