Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I grew up there. My parents part of the generation that could buy a house for 80k, and probably should have bought more than one.
Who could have known that Australian society would betray millennials this badly. I never saw it coming.

Stengle being supported but its isolating..its perfect but.... we will just have to see...

Seems like a bit of double talk if he was a lock to stay. Im sure there is interest in making sure this contract is a good one ..and who can blame him.

Im sure Geelong will offer a good contract but I also think someone like Carlton might offer ridiculous money if they feel he is the missing piece

Geelong unrestricted free agent Tyson Stengle has been granted special AFL permission for his guardian, Anna Scullie, to negotiate a new long-term deal as rivals attempt to lure him away from the Cats.
Scullie has managed the affairs of her husband, Eddie Betts, for the past eight years as well as running the family business, but is not an official AFL accredited agent.

She told this masthead on Monday that after a recent report labelling her a “pseudo manager”, any inference she lacked expertise was well off the mark.

Scullie negotiated Stengle’s one-year extension last season ahead of an injury-hit 2023 and it has put him in prime position to win a lucrative long-term contract as an unrestricted free agent.

Scullie told this masthead it would be “ideal” for Stengle to stay but it is understood rival clubs are asking whether the talented 2022 All Australian is open to offers.

The 25-year-old is so far in no hurry to lock away a new deal after a hot start to the year with 14.5 in eight games.

It is unusual for family members to negotiate on their family’s behalf but not unprecedented, with Mark Blicavs’ father Andris doing his deals and Jordan De Goey’s brother in law Ryan Vague managing his affairs as an accredited agent.

Scullie said Stengle’s unique family situation had put her in a position to ask the AFL for permission to manage his affairs despite the lack of AFL accreditation as a player agent.

Stengle endured a traumatic family upbringing that saw him living with relatives rather than his mother and father from a young age.

While he and relative Betts only played together for a season at Adelaide, the AFL legend is a close mentor who hosts Stengle several nights a week at the family’s Melbourne home.

“When we did his last extension we got special approval from the AFL,” Scullie said on Monday.

“It is a case-by-case basis but they gave me authority over his contract. I have been really quiet about the work I do but I have managed Eddie and built his brand over eight years and run the family business.

“I negotiate deals day-in and day-out with our business and have the knowledge of being in the AFL industry with Eddie over the last 16 years.

“We work as a team and I don’t have a conflict of interest. I just work for Tyson. I don’t have other players, I just care 100 per cent about Tyson and his needs.

“I was labelled as Eddie Betts’ wife and people might be intrigued but I have the knowledge and experience and have those conversations with clubs all the time given Eddie and I are talking about indigenous pathways into footy. I represent Eddie with Fox Footy and manage his Coles partnership.”

Geelong is confident Stengle wants to stay at the club but, given he is only 25, players of his talent could secure more than $800,000 a year after his 53-goal 2022 season.

“It would be ideal if he stays there. He is playing good footy with the team around him. We will likely go for a long-term deal. But we have to take into consideration that Geelong can be isolating. If Geelong is where he stays it is a perfect place and it’s a great culture and he’s really well supported on the field. He is playing good footy so we will just see.”

Stengle being supported but its isolating..its perfect but.... we will just have to see...

Seems like a bit of double talk if he was a lock to stay. Im sure there is interest in making sure this contract is a good one ..and who can blame him.

Im sure Geelong will offer a good contract but I also think someone like Carlton might offer ridiculous money if they feel he is the missing piece

Geelong unrestricted free agent Tyson Stengle has been granted special AFL permission for his guardian, Anna Scullie, to negotiate a new long-term deal as rivals attempt to lure him away from the Cats.
Scullie has managed the affairs of her husband, Eddie Betts, for the past eight years as well as running the family business, but is not an official AFL accredited agent.

She told this masthead on Monday that after a recent report labelling her a “pseudo manager”, any inference she lacked expertise was well off the mark.

Scullie negotiated Stengle’s one-year extension last season ahead of an injury-hit 2023 and it has put him in prime position to win a lucrative long-term contract as an unrestricted free agent.

Scullie told this masthead it would be “ideal” for Stengle to stay but it is understood rival clubs are asking whether the talented 2022 All Australian is open to offers.

The 25-year-old is so far in no hurry to lock away a new deal after a hot start to the year with 14.5 in eight games.

It is unusual for family members to negotiate on their family’s behalf but not unprecedented, with Mark Blicavs’ father Andris doing his deals and Jordan De Goey’s brother in law Ryan Vague managing his affairs as an accredited agent.

Scullie said Stengle’s unique family situation had put her in a position to ask the AFL for permission to manage his affairs despite the lack of AFL accreditation as a player agent.

Stengle endured a traumatic family upbringing that saw him living with relatives rather than his mother and father from a young age.

While he and relative Betts only played together for a season at Adelaide, the AFL legend is a close mentor who hosts Stengle several nights a week at the family’s Melbourne home.

“When we did his last extension we got special approval from the AFL,” Scullie said on Monday.

“It is a case-by-case basis but they gave me authority over his contract. I have been really quiet about the work I do but I have managed Eddie and built his brand over eight years and run the family business.

“I negotiate deals day-in and day-out with our business and have the knowledge of being in the AFL industry with Eddie over the last 16 years.

“We work as a team and I don’t have a conflict of interest. I just work for Tyson. I don’t have other players, I just care 100 per cent about Tyson and his needs.

“I was labelled as Eddie Betts’ wife and people might be intrigued but I have the knowledge and experience and have those conversations with clubs all the time given Eddie and I are talking about indigenous pathways into footy. I represent Eddie with Fox Footy and manage his Coles partnership.”

Geelong is confident Stengle wants to stay at the club but, given he is only 25, players of his talent could secure more than $800,000 a year after his 53-goal 2022 season.

“It would be ideal if he stays there. He is playing good footy with the team around him. We will likely go for a long-term deal. But we have to take into consideration that Geelong can be isolating. If Geelong is where he stays it is a perfect place and it’s a great culture and he’s really well supported on the field. He is playing good footy so we will just see.”
Jeez, can we hire her?

Odd. Like a PR exercise, but for herself instead of Stengle.

Odd. Like a PR exercise, but for herself instead of Stengle.
It is fair enough, there were a lot of knuckleheads who were questioning her and Tyson about whether she was qualified to be able to do the job. Good on them for getting on the front foot.

Surely it's his manager fishing for dollars from Geelong.
But my club can be pretty stupid sometimes.

It would be the media fishing and making stuff up.

His manager would be aware that the chance of mardi agreeing to move away interstate are about zero atm (nothing against your club).

Sounds like stengle wants to stay but they also wont stay unless we can offer a good long term deal. Fortunately cap wise we are in a position to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon our current r1 plus a r2 is about what smith will cost.
Im very hesitant about that.

Just don’t see the upside … with Tassie etc coming and us prob seeing 15-18 picks again… punting on lifestyle rehab type off an acl… sketchy..

Go Catters

Just don’t see the upside … with Tassie etc coming and us prob seeing 15-18 picks again… punting on lifestyle rehab type off an acl… sketchy..

Go Catters
I just don't see a better option for us to fill a list gap with those picks. Even if you fluked a kid with the right attributes they're a long term prospect, and as they say in finance, in the long term we are all dead

His manager floats the idea of a leak and Danger sees an opportunity to prank his former club.
I mean you have to ask the question for due diligence but there’s comes a point when it’s clear to anyone that it’s a pointless question beforehand.

It’s a very strange scenario and reminds me of my love life really these days

That is Smith's 2022 season, which was his 4th year in the system as a 21-year-old.

The risk is that he never gets back to his best after this ACL, but that's on the club to consider and assess.

The upside is certainly there if he does.

Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 11.39.45 am.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back