Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

The only knock I have with an ACL is that a lot of players generally take a year to return to pre-injury best. Building that strength, movement and confidence can take time. I look at David Wojcinski as a perfect example. ACL in 2005, returned the next year but struggled for form, then in 2007, with a full pre-season behind him returned to his best and had that blistering speed to go with it.

One positive is that should Smith join, he'd be almost ready to go for the start of pre-season, whenever that may be.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Bailey Smith's "Barry" drink, which he launched with the Daicos boys, Charlie Curnow and Broncos star Reece Walsh is made in Geelong too.

So if I'm right, there's another connection to the area for him.
ABN for alter ego the parent company is in West Melbourne but not sure that's definitive

Please comment...
What do people see what pick or picks do we think Bailey Smith is worth?

Please comment...
What do people see what pick or picks do we think Bailey Smith is worth?
It depends on the dogs to be honest
If they just want him gone and free up salary a first, in all honesty probably a top 10 pick

If they’re stubburn then a first and a second

The thing that works in our favors might be his contract and his acl
So around pick 15 might get the deal done

Yes Bailey has some attributes that some people don’t like but a lot of them are also the ones that make him the most marketable star in the game.
Has had a bad injury and some poor form which could be due to where he was playing for the team.
Having to trade for him I’m sure us or another club will need to pay two first rounds picks to make it happen.
Without the injury/form it would’ve been more.

I don’t think he can reach Dangerfield level but he’s a difference maker and would be an amazing asset for our team. With the group we have he and Holmes are different and together could propel us into a top team for a few more years.

Despite the financial links to the region I’d be very surprised if he wants to come to Geelong. I’d have thought he would go somewhere he can make more links to a broader network and have a good time in a big city.

Whatever Hawthorn want to pay for him
Doubt it, we know from experience that once a player picks a club, you have to work within their restraints rather than the best available offer on the market.

Even if Bailey picks Hawthorn, I don't think their offer will be that dissimilar to ours.

Probably end up splitting their first for two picks between 8-20, and going off loading one to the Dogs.

Having to trade for him I’m sure us or another club will need to pay two first rounds picks to make it happen.
Without the injury/form it would’ve been more.

Any club paying more than 2 first rd picks for Smith is selling the farm and destined to end up a rabble (a la WCE when they severely overpaid for Kelly)
We gave up 3 late 1st rd picks (and got 2 reasonably early 2nd rd picks back) for Jezza. He’s not even close to being at his level.
We gave up a 1st & 2nd rd pick + D.Gore for Danger. He’s not near his level.

I get if you want someone you often have to pay a bit over the odds but
a pick inside the top 10 or 2 late 1st rounders is more than enough.

Any club paying more than 2 first rd picks for Smith is selling the farm and destined to end up a rabble (a la WCE when they severely overpaid for Kelly)
We gave up 3 late 1st rd picks (and got 2 reasonably early 2nd rd picks back) for Jezza. He’s not even close to being at his level.
We gave up a 1st & 2nd rd pick + D.Gore for Danger. He’s not near his level.

I get if you want someone you often have to pay a bit over the odds but
a pick inside the top 10 or 2 late 1st rounders is more than enough.
Whilst I agree it's a bad deal and I wouldn't do it either, it's not that cut and dry. Every situation is different.

WCE ended up where they are because they sold the farm for Kelly ON TOP of having bugger all young talent and ignoring the draft for years.

The writing was already on the wall, the Kelly deal was just the straw that broke the camels back.

These collapses are rarely the byproduct of one bad trade. It's the bad trade, on top of the poor decisions of recent years, a bit like what we're seeing now with TT & JH at Richmond.

I don't think Geelong or Hawthorn would fall into that hole, as both clubs have shown a commitment to bringing in quality youth over the last 5 years.

Again, I agree that neither us or Hawthorn should do the deal in that case as its way overs...but I highly doubt it's going to be the disaster you're making out at either club.

There's a foundation there at both clubs that WCE simple didn't have, so even if Smith didn't pan out, it's more of a minor setback than a calmity.

The only club linked with any potential to follow West Coasts demise is Collingwood, as their list profile is completely for the here and now, with a completely bare cupboard of under 23s outside of Daicos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 News now - Crows have pitched to Dangerfield to finish his career in Adelaide.

He is in talks to sign for another year with us.

Not that I expect Dangerfield to agree to any FA offer from Adelaide, there's part of me that wants to see the move happen

I just want to see the mental arithmetic needed from Adelaide fans for them to try and justify them welcoming Dangerfield "home" & how they always loved him, with that never changing

Plus, I want to see if a butter chicken dinner makes a return

7 News now - Crows have pitched to Dangerfield to finish his career in Adelaide.

He is in talks to sign for another year with us.
Ask them for a top 10 pick. It'd be worth it just to boil their piss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back