Astronomy General Space Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder what the uber charge would be?

(C'mon it was there)
Yes, the gag was there. The other day I managed to get the 'Don't call me Shirley' response from a poster, for which I was very grateful.

Back on thread. Those pesky early galaxies that the James Web telescope has found has already lead to a new theorem - the 26 billion year old galaxy, personally I would have preferred 42.

James Webb telescope has found an Ocean planet, K2–18 b. It is around twice the size of Earth and orbits in the habitable zone of a star located 120 light-years from our solar system and might have liquid water (or not)

ISRO Vikram rover has not woken up with the new lunar day. Chances of it phoning home' decrease with time.
Still a great achievement. I don't think it was built specially to survive the lunar cold, it was a case of hope rather than expectation.

Our solar system is increasingly looking unusual, some common exoplanet types we don't have include superearths, warm gas giants, water worlds and this last group, the burning terrestrials or lava worlds.

Our solar system is increasingly looking unusual, some common exoplanet types we don't have include superearths, warm gas giants, water worlds and this last group, the burning terrestrials or lava worlds.

Arent these ( burning terrestrials) just in different stages of their own evolution? Or at the end?

Just the diversity of planets and moons in our solar system is amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arent these ( burning terrestrials) just in different stages of their own evolution? Or at the end?
In term of their origin, I would guess it's the same as other terrestrials, they just ended up very close their star, some with fast orbits of days, others tidally locked, in both instances getting nice and toasty. Same origins, different evolutionary paths because of orbital location. Like the real estate agents say, location, location, location.

A fun one from Gizmodo, the last images from space probes, usually before their demise.

Not sure why they missed the USSR Phobos 2, this was the famous mission that allegedly imaged a UFO a few days earlier - it sent back an image just before it died and the cause of the probes failure is obvious - see below.

1696926615242.png

I've posted about Gilmour Space before, things are reaching a climax as it is soon to launch it's first orbital rocket, the Eris. Launching from Bowen this rocket will be the first Australian built rocket to reach orbit.

We had the honour of being the 3rd country to build and launch a satellite but IIRC we used a left over US Redstone rocket to launch an Australian built satellite, WRESAT. We also had the dishonour of being the first country to loose the ability to launch satellites, much easy just to dig stuff out of the ground. Anyway, this is a description of the Eris rocket from the Wiki

'Gilmour Space is currently developing its Eris Block 1 rocket, a three-stage small-lift launch vehicle designed to launch up to 300 kg of payload to low Earth orbit. The vehicle is known to have four of Gilmour's Sirius hybrid rocket motors propelling the first stage, another Sirius motor in its second stage, and a new Phoenix liquid rocket engine in its third stage. This Eris vehicle has a height of 25m and a diameter of 2m for the first stage, which tapers at the interstage of the first and second stage to 1.5m.[16] The payload fairing has two diameter configurations, 1.5m and 1.2m.[17]

Eris's maiden launch is targeted for late 2023, pending final approvals from the Federal Government and Australian Space Agency. It will be the first Australian orbital rocket to launch from Australia, and the first orbital launch attempt from Australia in over 50 years. Moreover, if successful, Eris could be the world's first hybrid rocket to achieve orbit.

Gilmour Space has also revealed that it is developing an Eris Block 2 vehicle to lift 1,000 kg to low Earth orbit, which is expected to begin commercial service in 2026.'

The headline to the article is misleading, it's actually a report on using MOND to describe the movement of the outer objects of the solar system. MOND stands for Modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND) and is a theory that proposes a modification of Newton's law of universal gravitation to account for observed motion of galaxies. It is an alternative to the 'pixie dust' theory of dark matter in terms of explaining why galaxies do not appear to obey the currently understood laws of physics. There are abnormalities in the movement of Kuiper belt objects that have made folks think there is another planet (or something more exotic) lurking out there. These scientist showed that using MOND to model movement they ended up with was a bunch of rocks behaving pretty much exactly like the observed clustering. No need for planet 9. This is the first time MOND has been used at 'sub galactic' levels.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away two neutron stars in a death spiral collided and produced a 'kaboom' that Marvin the Martian would have been proud of. After 130 million years the light and the gravity waves arrived at Earth on the August 17, 2017. The odd thing was the gravity wave arrived nearly 2 seconds before the light. This article discusses why.
The author is an astrophysicist which probably explains his slightly incorrect statement regarding placental mammals, but we can forgive him for that because he's not a biologist.

The US is planning it's next launch of it's apace plane, the X37B on a Falcon Heavy, which will probably enable it to a geostationary orbit.

This image illustrates the significant differences.

Earth_Orbits.png

It's a very different environment because it's outside the Van Allen belts, so the craft will be exposed to more radiation. The X37B has been able to perform very long duration missions in LEO, this is it's first at higher orbits.

Last edited:
Not sure how new ( to Netflix) it is but a 1hr doco on the concept and construction of James Webb is up
SBS had a doco on last night. Same one?
I've been listening to quite a few astrophysics podcasts & YouTube videos lately. Gravity as an illusion is a very interesting concept.

SBS had a doco on last night. Same one?
I've been listening to quite a few astrophysics podcasts & YouTube videos lately. Gravity as an illusion is a very interesting concept.
I don't suggest you check that illusion, there are many Russians who can attest to the deadly reality of gravity. Gravity was also the challenge for SpaceX and the second launch of Starship. It did better this time, it didn't destroy the launchpad, the 1st stage fired successfully and the second stage separated doing a 'hot launch' and it got to about 150kms and 25,000kmh. Alas, the booster exploded shortly after separation and the 2nd stage lost contact 9 minutes into the flight, most likely due to self destruct activation.

You can watch the launch here

Four names have been chosen for our moor rover, you can vote to choose the name.
I think I like Kakirra best. An indigenous word from the Kaurna region in Adelaide, it means 'Moon' and it wouldn't be out of place in Anime or Manga.

Last edited:
I don't suggest you check that illusion, there are many Russians who can attest to the deadly reality of gravity. Gravity was also the challenge for SpaceX and the second launch of Starship. It did better this time, it didn't destroy the launchpad, the 1st stage fired successfully and the second stage separated doing a 'hot launch' and it got to about 150kms and 25,000kmh. Alas, the booster exploded shortly after separation and the 2nd stage lost contact 9 minutes into the flight, most likely due to self destruct activation.
I'd say it might take more than a couple of exploding rockets to disprove Einstein's life work ;)

Gilmour Space are planning an orbital launch of their Eris rocket early next year. An exciting return to having Australian orbital launch capabilities. We were the 5th nation to launch a satellite, though that was using a leftover US rocket. This will be the first locally made rocket to launch an orbital payload. They have an interesting approach using hybrid rocket motors with 3D printed fuel.

'Standing 25 metres tall, and weighing over 30 tonnes, the three-stage Eris rocket is powered by five hybrid engines that contain a solid fuel and a liquid oxidiser. Originally anticipated to take-off in 2023, Eris is planned to deliver a 305kg payload to low earth equatorial orbit at an altitude of 500km.'

5b5098_a5766d92f57c47788e4b8cccf4a39af7_mv2-1140x783.jpeg

Gilmour-Space-Eris-Orbital-Rocket-Launch.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back