Astronomy General Space Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Was there a meteor shower mentioned to occur last night (about 8:40awst)-atleast I think it was one) had the shape of a badminton shuttle utensil looked cool

A hint that there might be life in the clouds of Venus - Production of ammonia makes Venusian clouds habitable and explains observed cloud-level chemical anomalies | PNAS I've always thought the clouds of Venus were a more likely place to find life elsewhere in the solar system than Mars. Sadly we will only get more information in a decade or more, when the next 3 NASA/ESA probes are set to get to Venus. How three missions to Venus could solve the planet’s biggest mysteries (nature.com) It does provide a bit of a window of opportunity for other space agencies to jump in and get there first. Scooping up some clouds and detecting the first evidence of extra-terrestrial life is a pretty big prize.

^ I was transported right back to year 11 chemistry reading that. Fascinating though

I saw the planets lined up this morning just after 6am. I could definitely see a red tinge to Mars

2022-April-morning-Planets-S.-Hemisphere.jpg

it's cleared a bit. Scattered clouds
Yeah, scattered clouds was the most likely scenario at that point.
I went back to bed after giving it a chance to clear up how I hoped by about 4-30 am.
It bad enough with suburban lights but cloudy sky just kills it for me.
If it had of shown any chance of clearing properly would have taken a drive out of suburbs but it never did, so back to bed it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Did you drive anywhere to get a better view?
Well kind of.
I working now. Was not yesterday.
But went outside on break and drove car away from some bright lights of a Bunnings store that annoying.
I really wish I was way out of suburbs as would look so much better.
Venus is so bright it not really matter but others worth seeing where there no suburban lights.
Times like this wish I kept my Telescope from years ago.

I've always hated the Dark Matter concept. Firstly it's name, Dark Matter, it's really transparent, not dark, so the name is misleading. Call it ghost matter, mystery matter, anything but dark matter. Secondly the concept has been created as a kludge to explain why the speed of stars in the outer rim of galaxies don't follow Newtonian physics properly. Lastly, it seems to be undetectable, which means you can't study it! Talk about going down the rabbit hole. Physicists have come up with other explanations, of which this is one of the the leading candidates- Dark matter: our review suggests it's time to ditch it in favour of a new theory of gravity

Dark matter be gone!

"Mond’s main postulate is that when gravity becomes very weak, as occurs at the edge of galaxies, it starts behaving differently from Newtonian physics. In this way, it is possible to explain why stars, planets and gas in the outskirts of over 150 galaxies rotate faster than expected based on just their visible mass. But Mond doesn’t merely explain such rotation curves, in many cases, it predicts them."

The precursors of RNA have been detected in the molecular clouds near the galactic centre - Loads of Precursors For RNA Have Been Detected in The Center of Our Galaxy One popular theory for the early development of life is the RNA World Hypothesis, which proposes RNA emerged first from the primeval ooze, self-replicating in a stage of chemical evolution, prior to life.

I actually think life will be common throughout the galaxy, perhaps even in a couple of other places in the solar system. The vast majority of it will be simple and would only do justice to a petri dish.

Jupiter and the Moon have been racing each other across the sky lately. Jupiter one this race the other morning, and is now way ahead, but a few mornings prior, they were together near the horizon. This is my crappy photo from my Sony phone

tvXRvks.jpg
A couple of weeks ago, Jupiter was as close to the Earth as anyone is going to see in our lifetime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back