Review GBU vs collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

My comment was based on watching him closely at AO for a few seasons now, not that picture. He's not a smart decision maker, is slow, and overall, not part of our next premiership assault....whenever the hell that will be. But I just don't rate him.

Yep I'm always concerned when Butts has the ball in his hand. You can see the indecisiveness on his face and he's very slow to kick similar but not as bad as Rob. He gives me no confidence.
Having said that he did have quite a good game overall today. Definitely improved.

Have you never heard the term hygiene factor?

It's basically something that's not and shouldnt be a key focus or difference maker, but if you dont do it it's a problem.

The example of washing your hands is often given. No need to talk about it and everyone knows you should do it, but it's not the key focus and shouldnt be. However if you don't wash your hands that's a problem. This is why it's called a "hygiene" factor.
All jokes aside, no, I've never heard "hygiene factor" used like that before. Learned something today :thumbsu:.

You named these factors/attributes:
"Skills and Execution/Composure, Footy Smarts/IQ, Speed and Power".
Aren't they all necessary at AFL level? Fitness is assumed, but endurance helps. A player without any one of those will be found out.
Cases in point:
--- McHenry (lacks skills and execution + no composure + not too bright)
--- Sholl (no power, contact averse, lacks composure)
--- Smith (slow, poor execution)
--- ROB (slow/lumbering/unco, dreadful kick, panics with ball in hand)

:think: Afterthought: it's clear that only our best players (Dawson/Rankine/Soligo) have and use them all.
The more a player is deficient, the worse the player.

Murphy, McHenry, Rob, Smith, Jones were all in. So whoever wasn’t playing instead of them were significant outs.
Murphy was very good in the 1st half so debatable his replacement would have equal his output that half (maybe Pedlar's form last year) but for the others, their replacement wouldn't have made the side worst even if they weren't for our injured first choice players.

So after we took the lead with 7 minutes left on the clock, here's just some of the errors we made

1. After De Goey's miss and we're kicking out, Jones turns it straight over to Frampton, literally kicking it to his advantage, and Collingwood get a repeat shot on goal (out on the full, luckily) because Murphy comes up to affect a contest which leaves his man wide open on the counter through overlap
  2. After that miss we play very very slow football down the line which gets turned over because we don't have contested markers up the field
  3. At a stoppage inside Collingwood's 50, Laird lets Nick Daicos get completely in the clear. Daicos kicks it out on the full
  4. A kick goes inside 50 and Rankine miraculously wins it at ground level, handballs it to Jones who's in the clear but is too slow to react to Rankine winning the ball and is in poor position. Jones attempts to handball it over the top of three Collingwood players to Laird but it's smothered (obviously) and it's a stoppage.
  5. O'Brien wins it out of the ruck (3 minutes left now) and attempts a shot on goal but shanks it, both completely missing the goals and not making the distance. Soligo was behind him calling for it
  6. Shortly after this Keays attempts a snap shot on goal he was never going to kick with at least three players free calling for the handball inside 50 in goal scoring positions. This is what leads to an epic fast turnover from Collingwood that lets De Goey kick the sealer. Keane slips over on him
  7. We're now down with 2 minutes left. With 1 minute left to go, Butts wins a free kick about half way. Butts kicks it long to the boundary with Collingwood in best position, ignoring Fogarty short. Butts was always too far to get it reasonably inside 50 and Collingwood had stacked that area of the ground. We commit four players to this contest and leave at least three Collingwood players outside in ball receiving positions along with Hill who is probably 30m away from anyone in the corridor
  8. Stoppage on the wing with 43 seconds left, O'Brien wins a perfect tap to Jones who completely misjudges it and it falls to his feet so he soccers the ball 2m into a Collingwood player
  9. After this, the ball spills clear and Nankervis wins it. O'Brien, who was right there, fails to block a Collingwood player coming from behind him, who is able to tackle Nankervis out of bounds
  10. When Rankine was running forward and ultimately called for running too far with 17 seconds left, he had absolutely no support whatsoever with most players too far forward and nothing in an acre of space around the 50

With Jones turning it over and being absolutely terrible, O'Brien shanking it, Laird being ineffective, Keays making a diabolical decision inside 50, Murphy contributing nothing, and Smith having no impact, who stood up?

Very noticeably, it was Dawson, Rankine, Nankervis (special mention to him, he was excellent busting his ass everywhere), then Hinge was decent, Crouch decent but appeared to be benched for the final minutes. Michalanney was constantly providing options on the far wing but we never used him. Soligo played a bit on Nick Daicos who had little to no influence in that period

Also, Nicks' plan to play slow and kick long down the line with a narrow lead, 7 minutes to go, with little to no contested marking power, is idiotic. Especially when down with 2 minutes to go we hugged the boundary and kicked long to packs. No creativity, no switching the play, no attempts to make space. Just players stuffing it up.
11. R.O.B marking (I know right?!) just outside the 50 with 3 minutes left and handballing to Rachele straight away instead of going back and chewing some time off.

We do well to bring a margin back and sneak in front, but we have no idea what to do once we actually get in front. Look at how Collingwood play in a close game when they're in the lead, they just force stoppage after stoppage when not in possession and do as little as possible to move the ball quickly when in possession.

Really, that should be Footy 101 when it gets tight, but we just panic, we play as if we're trying to hit the front rather than protect the lead, including players who try to be the hero when there's no need to be.

11. R.O.B marking (I know right?!) just outside the 50 with 3 minutes left and handballing to Rachele straight away instead of going back and chewing some time off.

We do well to bring a margin back and sneak in front, but we have no idea what to do once we actually get in front. Look at how Collingwood play in a close game when they're in the lead, they just force stoppage after stoppage when not in possession and do as little as possible to move the ball quickly when in possession.

Really, that should be Footy 101 when it gets tight, but we just panic, we play as if we're trying to hit the front rather than protect the lead, including players who try to be the hero when there's no need to be.
Collingwood also played a huge chunk of the final minutes on their terms, stacking players one kick down the line and guarding the corridor. When they needed to win they kept a fast play and switch as open possibilities then shut that off and put numbers down the line when in front

Murphy had a good first half, but he was nowhere to be seen when the game was there to be won.

He's not a leader, and has proven that he's not the type of player to play a role in a finals/flag push.

Murphy was very good in the 1st half so debatable his replacement would have equal his output that half (maybe Pedlar's form last year) but for the others, their replacement wouldn't have made the side worst even if they weren't for our injured first choice players.
True, he did have a great first half.

Disagree, we still need to kick a goal with 3 minutes left. That was ROB only correct decision, Rachele was in the clear and had to carry the ball further instead of kicking to a 2 on 1 to Walker down the line which ended with them regaining possession.

Not sure it helps with the pain of the loss but Rankine didn’t run too far.
I can clear that up. Happy to :).

NO :grimacing:. It does not help, in any way :madv1:.
No guarantee that no free kick against Rankiine = crows score as we are experts at collapsing play when needed.
There's nothing quite as welcome as a winning oppo supporter coming in here to tell us what their winning side is "expert" at.
In fact, it's not welcome at all. Shove your patronising, disingenuous bragging where the sun don't shine.
Nevertheless would prefer a less questionable outcome.
Really? :confusedv1:
Would you prefer this outcome: Rankine is not called for running too far, we goal and you lose?
I know I would :sneaky:.

Does Keays have the slowest decision making mind in the side?

You can literally see him stepping through options out there at a snails pace but constantly gets caught thinking or thinking he has more time than he thought.
You forgot about Butts...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ch. 7 cut to Nicks just after the siren. He stood up, slammed his hands on the desk and it looked to me like he shouted:" farken bull$hit!! ".
Possibilities:
--- he was angry at the Rankine ran-too-far call, or
--- he was angry they lost by less than a kick, yet again, or
--- it was self-referential (least likely, but true).

He keeps saying at press conferences we are still learning.

Well here is a thought, Mr Nicks, are you learning at all by the spuds you keep choosing to get the job done.

And the ones in my gun are Laird and McSpudly.

One of the game was more than likely a win
No, it was a loss. Look at any record of that game. It'll tell you we lost.
and another 2 games should have been a kick on goal after the siren for the win.
"Should have" is not a win, either. Both of those games are also losses.

Start dealing with what is, not what might have been, nor should have been.

So in terms of quality and importance to side, the out of Collingwood are only slightly more. Thilthorpe and Murray are big outs for us.

Mihocek=Worrell>Elliot>Mitchell>Cleary=Pedlar=Howe=Milera.
Worrell was a huge out for sure, but Thilthorpe and Murray have been out for the entire season and Milera might as well have been so really shouldn't be in the calculations, otherwise you can say Nathan Buckley was also out for Collingwood. Elliot, Mitchell and Cleary are huge outs for Collingwood. Pedlar has been in and out of the team and while I love his game he's no Cleary or Elliot. Our outs hurt us, sure but nowhere near Collinwoods outs.

Worrell was a huge out for sure, but Thilthorpe and Murray have been out for the entire season and Milera might as well have been so really shouldn't be in the calculations, otherwise you can say Nathan Buckley was also out for Collingwood. Elliot, Mitchell and Cleary are huge outs for Collingwood. Pedlar has been in and out of the team and while I love his game he's no Cleary or Elliot. Our outs hurt us, sure but nowhere near Collinwoods outs.
It's debatable whether you consider Cleary or Mitchell as big out. Milera was excellent in the 2nd half last year before he did his knee in round 3 this year.

We aren't seriously blaming injuries are we? :drunk:

relapse said:
"Basically the low ceiling/high floor are players who have the potential to be great, but early are inconsistent and may have games were they only rate as a 2/10.

Or the flip side the high floor/low ceiling are the guys who will consistently be a 5-6 out of 10 every week, but that's the most you ever get out of them."
+

Really? It confused the hell outta me.
What's the difference between " low ceiling/high floor" and "high floor/low ceiling", above?? :think:
I've said it before, we'd rather play a guy who returns a guaranteed C+ performance than a guy who could provide a B+, but also could be a D- as well as he develops.

Basically we play to short term thinking. Who this week will play better, Chayce Jones or Zac Taylor? Well Jones has experience, he's got an AFL exposed body, we'd got good straight line speed. Sure, he'll hack kick it a ton, turn it over, but that's all known and we can go in feeling safe expecting that.

Taylor? Well he's inexperienced, it's a big match we gotta win on the 'G, what if he gets spooked? We just don't know what he'll produce. What if he has a poorer performance than Jones? Well sure, he could learn from that and use it as a base to improve, there's also a slight chance he could play better, but we're thinking about this week, so we'll go with Jones because we can guarantee what he'll give us and Taylor is a gamble right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back