Review GBU vs collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones was good last year, now totally useless. Total waste.
He was definately not "good"last year. He was playing at a level that still didnt justify the pick we used on him however it was marginally better than his previous terrible seasons. This year he is just doubling down on the fact that he is not AFL standard and the only people who can't or won't see it are the muppets employed at the AFC.

Hence why now we need to play more talented younger players & not the ordinary players with little upside... given we won't be playing finals.
Absolutely.

It's another year in which we should be testing our talent, but will play McHenry instead

You've been around for a while and seen a bit.

Is it tap on the shoulder time?
You know when thinking about it - it’s not the player’s fault to keep putting their hand up to be picked - obviously they want to keep playing for as long and as often as they can, this is the frustrating part of it…

Surely the coaching staff can see that both Smith and Laird are going through the motions and it is their job to have the “man talk” and say ok go and help the young lads in the SANFL.

He was definately not "good"last year. He was playing at a level that still didnt justify the pick we used on him however it was marginally better than his previous terrible seasons. This year he is just doubling down on the fact that he is not AFL standard and the only people who can't or won't see it are the muppets employed at the AFC.
Was he playing like a Pick 9 player last year? F88k no! Did he play well for a player that had been poor the years before that? Yes. One would have hoped that last year he had turned the corner and became a good player, but sadly last year was a one off and he is useless again.
Needs to be dropped with Laird, McHeadless Chicken, ROB and Smith.

Is there one single sane person in the club that sees what this board does.

How on earth can no one sit Nicks down and say “mate, player x, y, z aren’t taking us to a flag. Time to play the kids”. Are we all watching a different game every week. My mind can’t compute what’s going on.

Since the start of 2023, we've now had 3 wins, 8 losses and 1 draw in games decided by 6 points or less.
There really is a weak mentality with our team in close games. We've now gone up relatively late two games in a row with momentum our way and successfully choked both of those leads.

How on earth can no one sit Nicks down and say “mate, player x, y, z aren’t taking us to a flag. Time to play the kids”. Are we all watching a different game every week. My mind can’t compute what’s going on.
But Nicksy is taking us to a flag and within 2 years 4 months

Think you forgot - Nicks ain’t taking us to a flag, or even a GF, either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know when thinking about it - it’s not the player’s fault to keep putting their hand up to be picked - obviously they want to keep playing for as long and as often as they can, this is the frustrating part of it…

Surely the coaching staff can see that both Smith and Laird are going through the motions and it is their job to have the “man talk” and say ok go and help the young lads in the SANFL.
Yep i agree.

I have a lot of admiration for Laird, when we were absolutely ****ed he stepped up and delivered a few years of a grade midfield

But that time has passed. He is ineffectual and hurting the team.

Give him the option of moving him back or like you said, SANFL.

Smith im not sure what to do with. Gut says cooked.

Exactly as observers we can all see that there are a solid 12 AFL players in our team with a few serviceable players holding their own who are carrying 5-6 who are not going to take us forward and are also not performing.

Berry for Murphy
Dowling for McHenry
Curtin for Jones/Smith
Schoenberg for Laird
Strachan for Rob
Taylor for Scholl/Keays even

Obviously I could be wrong but make those changes and I think we are a more skilled more dangerous team.

Liked Nanks game. Dawson was epic after he shed his first quarter shackles. Rankine showed some brilliance and the defence was well organised. Butts was improved, as was Hinge. Cook was a little more present. Soligo and Crouch were industrious but Laird wasted opportunities.

ROB was well beaten and Tex needs a break.

The weather was cold but the Collingwood faithful were quite dignified and respectful.

The club is rotten to the core, so you’d probably have one assistant coach who sees it (spoiler alert, it’s Hombsch), plus maybe a waterboy and a bunch of sub 5 game players.

Nicks
Ricciuto
Ogilvie
Kelly
Van Berlo
Godden
Burns
To a lesser extent, Reid

Are all beyond help.

I said earlier in the game thread that Collingwood - with 2 rotations down had 2 choices - go hard for 10 minutes build a 4 goal lead and try and hang on

They chose to try and slow the game down - until we hit the lead - then went back to full press for the last 5
Yeah, I see what you mean but I meant the Crows.
How'd the Crows get in front at 7.19? (By attacking footy).

Last edited:
Anyone remember that time Breust ran 35 meters without bouncing it in the final minute to take away any chance of us winning a 3-point game in 2021? It was shortly after Himmelberg was denied a certain goal by an absolutely bullshit front-on contact call.
This league is just a joke.

Or Crisp's goal running 30m+ from the centre which everyone lauded as amazing.

Operation get Sid Draper should start now.
Ah yes, a new 18 year old 182cm mid to play out of position in favour of Laird, Crouch and co and then drop back to the SANFL when he fails at half forward. Can’t wait.

“Operation fk Ricciuto, Kelly, Ogilvie, Nicks and every assistant not named Hombsch off” is far more important than any 18 year old acquisitions for us IMO.

We could have every pick in the top 5 this year and still find a way to be absolutely shithouse for the next 5 years with these clowns at the helm.

To be clear, when I say Nicks has created a leadership issue, what I mean is he has fostered a culture that promotes the wrong type of leader

He likes leaders to set the standard on the training track, at match sim, off the field helping the sick kids, picking up the water bottles, being professional, dotting every i and crossing every t.

The club as a whole follows these values. If you work hard off the field, set the standard at training, nail all the positional drills, point fingers, have experience - boom you are a leader. Other players know that's what the club is about, being great between games, that's what's required to be a leader and a great player.

With that standard set, the club, Nicks, players sort out the leadership group. The off field training champions like O'Brien, Murphy, Keays, they rise up. Players go: well if leadership means training well and having great professionalism, that's what I should value. That's how I should vote. That's who I should defer to and follow their example.

Come game day, the off field heroes shrink. Because they aren't actual leaders. Because there is no cross over between picking up water bottles, and standing tall in the big moments in a pressure situation. Our selected leaders do not stand tall, because they haven't been picked to do so.

And it has flow on effects. The real on field leaders - who maybe are, maybe aren't in the leadership group - aren't being given the agency to really take hold of games. Is Worrell really going to go over to Smith, who's a club anointed leader, and tell him in the dying moments of a game that he's taking a kick out because Smith doesn't stand up or execute in big moments? Is Soligo going to blast O'Brien when he epicly shanks a kick? Is Rankine going to tell Keays not to take that shot and give it to him because he's much better than Keays?

When you watch the last moments of our close games you see the players the club thinks are leaders absolutely shitting the bed, not executing, not standing up, not having instincts on what to do to seal the game - because they're fake leaders, and they've been fooled into thinking they are real.

To be clear, when I say Nicks has created a leadership issue, what I mean is he has fostered a culture that promotes the wrong type of leader

He likes leaders to set the standard on the training track, at match sim, off the field helping the sick kids, picking up the water bottles, being professional, dotting every i and crossing every t.

The club as a whole follows these values. If you work hard off the field, set the standard at training, nail all the positional drills, point fingers, have experience - boom you are a leader. Other players know that's what the club is about, being great between games, that's what's required to be a leader and a great player.

With that standard set, the club, Nicks, players sort out the leadership group. The off field training champions like O'Brien, Murphy, Keays, they rise up. Players go: well if leadership means training well and having great professionalism, that's what I should value. That's how I should vote. That's who I should defer to and follow their example.

Come game day, the off field heroes shrink. Because they aren't actual leaders. Because there is no cross over between picking up water bottles, and standing tall in the big moments in a pressure situation. Our selected leaders do not stand tall, because they haven't been picked to do so.

And it has flow on effects. The real on field leaders - who maybe are, maybe aren't in the leadership group - aren't being given the agency to really take hold of games. Is Worrell really going to go over to Smith, who's a club anointed leader, and tell him in the dying moments of a game that he's taking a kick out because Smith doesn't stand up or execute in big moments? Is Soligo going to blast O'Brien when he epicly shanks a kick? Is Rankine going to tell Keays not to take that shot and give it to him because he's much better than Keays?

When you watch the last moments of our close games you see the players the club thinks are leaders absolutely shitting the bed, not executing, not standing up, not having instincts on what to do to seal the game - because they're fake leaders, and they've been fooled into thinking they are real.
Another good 1 possession last quarter by Murphy - the leader

Remove this Banner Ad

Back