Scape Goat G&GF Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Reasoning behind it applies.

Not really, unless you can replicate identical conditions week to week. You can't. Then talk to me about quantifying whatever measure it is being used to gauge performance accurately.

Neeld has completely and utterly ****ed up with his recruiting of senior players (in 2012). NONE of them have worked. None of them. They're all s**t.

Byrnes, Pedersen, Rodan. heck me.

It's almost bad enough to lose a job over.

Neeld has completely and utterly screwed up with his recruiting of senior players (in 2012). NONE of them have worked. None of them. They're all s**t.

Byrnes, Pedersen, Rodan. **** me.

Don't forget Dawes who will be sh*t when he works up the courage to play.

Voss picked up Xavier Clarke, Andrew Raines, Brent Staker and Amon Buchanan for Brisbane a few years ago. Also Matt Maguire, so maybe that tips it slightly in his favour in terms of recruiting bungles.

Don't forget Dawes who will be sh*t when he works up the courage to play.

Voss picked up Xavier Clarke, Andrew Raines, Brent Staker and Amon Buchanan for Brisbane a few years ago. Also Matt Maguire, so maybe that tips it slightly in his favour in terms of recruiting bungles.

As and outsider looking in it seems like Neelds are far far worse at this stage.

As and outsider looking in it seems like Neelds are far far worse at this stage.

Clarke - dreadful, injured, waste of space.
Buchanan - dreadful, list filler, minimal impact.
Staker - can play a bit but has been injured too often.
Raines - serviceable grunt midfielder or defender but nothing special.
Maguire - done a job down back, good pickup.

You're probably right, although I'd take any of our recruits over Xavier Clarke. Awful and injured, so maybe Voss forgot how awful he was. If he needed a reminder, he could always have watched Raph play.

Clarke - dreadful, injured, waste of space.
Buchanan - dreadful, list filler, minimal impact.
Staker - can play a bit but has been injured too often.
Raines - serviceable grunt midfielder or defender but nothing special.
Maguire - done a job down back, good pickup.

You're probably right, although I'd take any of our recruits over Xavier Clarke. Awful and injured, so maybe Voss forgot how awful he was. If he needed a reminder, he could always have watched Raph play.

Completely agree, To be honest I think Voss is just as bad a coach as Neeld has been so far if not worse, he just got carried in his first year by a decent list of older players and now he is living off the golden boy credit and the fact Brisbane cant afford to terminate and replace him.

Completely agree, To be honest I think Voss is just as bad a coach as Neeld has been so far if not worse, he just got carried in his first year by a decent list of older players and now he is living off the golden boy credit and the fact Brisbane cant afford to terminate and replace him.

Not so sure. At least Voss had the sense to see he'd made a massive utensil up with that trade period and went straight into the rebuild. Having Brown and Black around the new kids is a pretty good learning environment. They're building a decent if not spectacular side that should be competitive just about every match. That Doggies result was a bit of an aberration.

Whilst I don't see sacking Neeld as a solution due to lack of a viable interim at the moment, I'm no longer adverse to the idea, simply as a way of changing the pace, shaking up the system and aiming for something new, different, better.

Somehow, I thought we couldn't get any worse. Apparently we can.

Leigh Brown - step on up!

Neeld has completely and utterly screwed up with his recruiting of senior players (in 2012). NONE of them have worked. None of them. They're all s**t.

Byrnes, Pedersen, Rodan. **** me.

It's almost bad enough to lose a job over.

Rodan didn't even play this week, did he? lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest I found some of the coaching moves strange especially playing Howe and Clark in defence but I did like the throwing of grimes down back , he is not great in heavy traffic and looks better behind the ball ...

What else could he do ... He was trying to stem The bleeding somehow but we kept losing centre clearances

If I'm not mistaken he also put that pair in for some centre bounces ..
However our tall backs are horrible at the moment and frawley is just pathetic ATM

Yeah, because he's too s**t for the seniors.

He may not be as good as he used to be, but he appeared to be one of the few who were actually putting in an effort to win the ball. Not to mention, when the entire team as one is playing like s**t... not too many men are going to look very positive in all of that. That's my opinion anyway. I don't think Rodan's been as bad as people have said.

I really think 1 crucial element people gloss over when looking at the current state of the MFC is our drafting

I know, I know, it's been discussed ad naseum, but the reality is, it's coming home to roost in a major way now

Looking at our drafting since 2000, especially 2001 / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5....actually all of it, we have recruited poorly. So poorly and it's an indication of where we are left today

In 2001's "super draft", where a lot of teams who did well here set themselves up for a large part - we take punts on blokes like Molan (gone), then get Armstrong (gone) and Aaron Rogers (gone)....later pick Miller (gone) serviceable but never a star

2002 Bell (gone), Nick Smith (gone), Rivers we got right, but (gone)...Gary Moorcroft *shudders* (gone)

2003 Sylvia (no comment needed), Mclean (gone), Chris Johnson *shudders again* (gone)

2004 Bate (gone), Dunn (never really come on), Newton (gone)

2005 Jones (should be captain), Buckley (gone)

You then chuck in blokes picked in later years (Morton, Gysberts, Cook (gone, gone, gone)) that should never have been picked - Gysberts and Cook were somewhat surprise selections (Morton was consensus early pick but didn't come on)

Some will say it's development, but fact is, some of these guys speculative / suprise picks - some could not be developed

I agree, development has been a flaw - but the recruiting from 2001 onwards is why we are left in gigantic hole

I really think 1 crucial element people gloss over when looking at the current state of the MFC is our drafting

I know, I know, it's been discussed ad naseum, but the reality is, it's coming home to roost in a major way now

Looking at our drafting since 2000, especially 2001 / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5....actually all of it, we have recruited poorly. So poorly and it's an indication of where we are left today

In 2001's "super draft", where a lot of teams who did well here set themselves up for a large part - we take punts on blokes like Molan (gone), then get Armstrong (gone) and Aaron Rogers (gone)....later pick Miller (gone) serviceable but never a star

2002 Bell (gone), Nick Smith (gone), Rivers we got right, but (gone)...Gary Moorcroft *shudders* (gone)

2003 Sylvia (no comment needed), Mclean (gone), Chris Johnson *shudders again* (gone)

You then chuck in blokes picked in later years (Morton, Gysberts, Cook (gone, gone, gone)) that should never have been picked - Gysberts and Cook were somewhat surprise selections (Morton was consensus early pick but didn't come on)

Some will say it's development, but fact is, some of these guys speculative / suprise picks - some could not be developed

I agree, development has been a flaw - but the recruiting from 2001 onwards is why we are left in gigantic hole

Totally Agree. 90% of our current problems would not be there or never eventuated if we drafted well.
I'm sick of the political speak that comes out from the Club such as CC and CS telling us that we will have a bi-fold door of opportunities for premierships once we get games into players. That was said 2 years ago before the "Walk to the G" game against the Swans. These guys are delusional or have no idea about football.

We are now so far off the pace its laughable.

I don't know why we let Buckley go. Watching us play back then was painful and he was one of the few we had providing run and taking the game on. Disposal was iffy at times but point to someone in our side who's isn't.

I don't know why we let Buckley go. Watching us play back then was painful and he was one of the few we had providing run and taking the game on. Disposal was iffy at times but point to someone in our side who's isn't.

He didn't make it at the Magpies though. He wasn't going to be any part of our side going forward.

He didn't make it at the Magpies though. He wasn't going to be any part of our side going forward.

If that was the criteria we'd have about 5 guys left on our list. We delisted him when he was 21 or 22 and he'd shown more in 2 or 3 years than most of the current players.

If that was the criteria we'd have about 5 guys left on our list. We delisted him when he was 21 or 22 and he'd shown more in 2 or 3 years than most of the current players.

It was the right decision. Pies picked him up, he played a few good years with a decent game or two, and is gone. Was never going to make it.

The problem with Buckley was he could burst away and sprint 15m and kick it another 50m, but that's all he did well, but most of the time his kicks weren't planned, he was just kicking it as far as he could. Probably be a top player in any other tier of football, but without more, it wasn't enough at AFL level.

Disagree, particularly given the appalling side we had at the time. A bit of development and he could have been a handy player. Anyway, moot point.

Our recruiting is so bad I wouldn't be surprised to see the interview after we drafted jones and what the recruiting department described him as

'Classy outside ball user who is also strong overhead, prefers to be outside than inside '

Remove this Banner Ad

Back