C'wealth Future of the CWG

Remove this Banner Ad

My theory is - have the games, but it doesn’t need to be as expensive at it is.

Host country shouldn’t have to build a village, athletes can stay in hotels paid for by their own country’s governments.

Host countries shouldn’t need to buy giant fleets of vehicles and pay people to drive everyone around, teams can hire their own drivers/buses etc.

Use exisiting infrastructure - every city has swimming pools, athletic tracks, shooting ranges, sports arenas etc. Not every city has kayak slalom, whatever other obscure sports they have. Strip down sports so giant costly one off facilities don’t need to be built.

Opening/closing ceremonies can gagf too.

London is probably the only viable option.
Sysdney is viable, they just don't want to do it either. Not sure London will commit when Birmingham hosted four years ago.

Maybe Australia could share it among the states, using facilities that already exist and without the need to build multiple athletes' villages. I believe Roger Cook floated it, but the actual quote was buried and no one else has really mentioned it since. It's a buyer's market though, maybe whoever is willing to host isn't saying anything yet in the hopes the Games Committee gets desperate and offers incentives.

Total embarrassment.

There are enough existing sporting facilities in Australia to put on a CWG without significant investment. Sports could have been shared around various states. Small villages could have been constructed to be used as affordable social housing after the Games.

It could have become a template for a sustainable way to host future CG.

I can't see why the Commonwealth games needs to be state based if it's ultra expensive to host. Why can't states share sports in an agreement. I understand we couldn't agree on Covid policies so how can we get states to agree on the CWG. Having said that why couldn't we have track and field in Sydney, Swimming in Brisbane, Cycling in Adelaide etc......

Personally it's a shitty event anyway. If I'm into track and field, I'm not watching the CWG, I'm watching the world championships.
NSW - builds giant kayak venue, costs millions. 14 people show up and clap their hands for 3 days.

Victoria - Put some CWG banners up in their already built and paid for pool, stands are packed every night for an week and they make millions in revenue from it.

Not really fair is it?

NSW - builds giant kayak venue, costs millions. 14 people show up and clap their hands for 3 days.

Victoria - Put some CWG banners up in their already built and paid for pool, stands are packed every night for an week and they make millions in revenue from it.

Not really fair is it?
Didn’t they basically say apart from swimming and athletics every other sport is optional for the host city?

Don’t do kayak and waste the money on it. Just do the sports that are already set up and can easily be accommodated.

I looked at a list of the 2022 venues, and Adelaide pretty much already has them all (albeit some lower capacities).

Hotel rooms and public transport would struggle, but it surely has better existing infrastructure than regional Victoria.

can we marvel at Victoria's ability to either BS their way out of this or mismanage a budget? Gotta be one of the 2.

You either were going to host the most expensive CG ever at 6-7 billion, 6 times bigger than any other outside Delhi, or someone(ala a pollie) is fibbing. Either way, it was a stupid plan in the first place for an event Victoria clearly doesn't want anymore. They could easily host in Melbourne for about next to nothing.

See Comm Games Fed, you should have accepted the Tassie bid when you had the chance. But I also hope they get a lot of money back from Victoria, as the Vic Government have done them very dirty, regardless of your view of the future of the Comm Games. Victoria agreed to host, to then withdraw with only 8 hours' notice, with obvious BS figures and any lack of compromise or culpability from the Vic government. Not cool and they deserve more heat for how they did this, rather than if it was the right call. It was your hosting bid, your plan. If you are withdrawing because you didn't crunch the numbers correctly, then who fault is it anyway.

If the Victorian government have to pay between $500m and $1bil AUD as compo to the Commonwealth Games Federation, which is roughly between £200 and £500 depending on what exchange rate is used in the calculation, and locked in with currency futures contracts, then Birmingham with some stuff held in London and some in Manchester, could put on the back to back games and break even, maybe make a small profit given their 2022 Games budget was £780, which included building stuff and normal event operating costs.

You might say that no way will they pay that much, but Andrews kept deflecting questions about compo at yesterday's presser, saying they are being worked on in London, suggests to me its gonna be a big bill.

The Andrews government did pay over $1bil to cancel that East West Link tunnel project the Libs stitched up just before the 2014 election.

The acting auditor-general also found shortfalls in terminating the contract, with the state incurring costs in excess of $1.1 billion "with little tangible benefit for taxpayers". The bill will be partially offset by the sale of properties acquired for the project, worth an estimated $320 million. The total cost of the termination settlement will be $642 million, despite Premier Daniel Andrews' election pledge that the contract could be ripped up at no cost because it was not worth the paper it was written on.

Canada have held off because they have indicated in the past, they will make a bid for the Centenary Games in 2030, given the first ones were held in Hamilton, Ontario in 1930.

I wrote about this in the, between Olympics thread, but Hamilton-Toronto is very much like Geelong-Melbourne, about 80k apart and just like greater Geelong is about 1/12th of greater Melbourne 5 million people greater Hamilton is about 1/8th the size of greater Toronto's 6 million people. There has been no clear indication yet which Canadian city would host it, but what's happened to the Victorian hosting situation, and if Birmingham do accept back to back with London and Manchester sharing their facilities, it could well be a Hamilton-Toronto-Ottawa bid from Canada, sharing existing infrastructure.

Hamilton is about 80km south west of Toronto and Ottawa is about 400km north east.

Manchester is about 150km north of Birmingham and London about 200km south.

Last edited:
Host country shouldn’t have to build a village, athletes can stay in hotels paid for by their own country’s governments.

2 problems with that.

1. The athletes like the community feel of a village. (mightn't seem like a big deal, but keeping athletes happy matters).

2. One of the less spoken of issues of games like these is that a number of 3rd world athletes, especially from lesser sports tend to 'disappear' (defect, claim refugee status, etc) into 1st world countries at their first opportunity. This is diplomatically awkward on numerous levels. (which is one of the reasons it's kept quiet), so the hosts work to prevent/limit this. This, and other security concerns (see Munich 1972) makes having them in separate hotels a more difficult option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 problems with that.

1. The athletes like the community feel of a village. (mightn't seem like a big deal, but keeping athletes happy matters).

2. One of the less spoken of issues of games like these is that a number of 3rd world athletes, especially from lesser sports tend to 'disappear' (defect, claim refugee status, etc) into 1st world countries at their first opportunity. This is diplomatically awkward on numerous levels. (which is one of the reasons it's kept quiet), so the hosts work to prevent/limit this. This, and other security concerns (see Munich 1972) makes having them in separate hotels a more difficult option.
I did a Dari (Afghan language) course a few years ago, one of my teachers was on the Afghan basketball team and was all set to go to the Moscow Olympics in 1980. The Afghan wrestling team went over a bit earlier and a few of them bailed and fled into Russia. They then banned the rest of the team sports and only sent over 11 Athletes so he missed out on going to the Olympics :(

Poor guy

And now Canada pulls out of it's 2030 bid.

The last Comm games may already have been held.

Hamilton's still bidding, right? The city hosted the first games in 1930 so they were keen to host it for the centenary.

2.68 billion they estimated... What was Victoria's recent claim for a Games four years earlier?? 7 billion was it?

It's because Victoria got cocky and decided to spread it around the regions where they needed huge infrastructure upgrades.

Alberta's plan was sharing it between two Adelaide-sized cities, so most of the infrastructure already existed.

Melbourne probably could've hosted it with barely more than a new coat of paint.

It's because Victoria got cocky and decided to spread it around the regions where they needed huge infrastructure upgrades.

Alberta's plan was sharing it between two Adelaide-sized cities, so most of the infrastructure already existed.

Melbourne probably could've hosted it with barely more than a new coat of paint.

Dan still claimed 4 billion for Melbourne…

Dan still claimed 4 billion for Melbourne…

As was said above, Melbourne coulda hosted it for a fraction of that cost. Though the original idea (regional infrastructure) sounded reasonable, of the 4 billion 3 billion+ was probably for regional infrastructure (still promised to be spent) and temporary sporting facilities.

As was said above, Melbourne coulda hosted it for a fraction of that cost. Though the original idea (regional infrastructure) sounded reasonable, of the 4 billion 3 billion+ was probably for regional infrastructure (still promised to be spent) and temporary sporting facilities.

No, when they cancelled the games Dan said it still would have cost $4 billion to host them in Melbourne! He was claiming $7 billion for the regional games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back