C'wealth Future of the CWG

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind the Comm games. We should be able to do it fairly cheaply - we have plenty of decent stadiums and arenas. Only difficulty is the aths track - I'm not sure we want to dig up the MCG again - that caused a few problems last time. Maybe we could get some of the Grand Prix temporary grandstands out of storage and do something at Lakeside - although I'm not sure exactly what. We probably only need a 40,000 capacity for the aths - we can still run the opening/closing ceremonies at the MCG or Docklands if necessary.

Sure, it's a 2nd class competition (at best), but that's OK - we need them as well.

Let's see if the poms can raise the interest and hype back up a bit when they host in Birmingham.
I doubt they want to have many events in Melbourne at all

Cricket would have to be in Melbourne as well, assuming Kardinia Park is used for rugby sevens.
I am thinking Morshead Park in Ballarat or LaTrobe Stadium in Morwell will be used for Rugby Sevens. This would enable Kardinia Park to host cricket finals.

There are plenty of regional cricket grounds that can host preliminaries for men and women including :
QEO in Bendigo, Eastern Park in Ballarat, Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe and Traralgon Rec Reserve. All have hosted BBL or WBBL matches either during the season or pre season

Track Cycling will be in Melbourne as there is no suitable facility in regional Victoria however, the majority of events will be in Regional Victoria
Couldn't expand the one that holds the Bendigo Madison?

They could make it an indoor velodrome and redevelop it, yes. However, as other sports like athletics use the infield, it will be hard for them to accomodate all existing tenants
Has the track cycling ever been done outdoors?

Has the track cycling ever been done outdoors?
Track cycling at the olympics used to regularly be on an outdoor cement track until it became permanently indoor velodrome from Sydney 2000.

The UCI has also changed their rule that World Champs will only be at indoor velodromes. IIRC the last world champs on an outdoor track was in Colombia mid to late 90's.

LA in 1984 Australia won the team pursuit gold on an outdoor track which was cement. Seoul 4 years later was outdoor but a wood surface. Then Barcelona 1992 and Atlanta 1996 were at indoor velodromes with wood surface.

I don't think the relevant cycling bodies will be happy with an outdoor track.

Track cycling at the olympics used to regularly be on an outdoor cement track until it became permanently indoor velodrome from Sydney 2000.

The UCI has also changed their rule that World Champs will only be at indoor velodromes. IIRC the last world champs on an outdoor track was in Colombia mid to late 90's.

LA in 1984 Australia won the team pursuit gold on an outdoor track which was cement. Seoul 4 years later was outdoor but a wood surface. Then Barcelona 1992 and Atlanta 1996 were at indoor velodromes with wood surface.

I don't think the relevant cycling bodies will be happy with an outdoor track.
It creates a great opportunity presented in front of the vic government to create a great legacy venue at Tom Flood Sports Centre by upgrading the current old outdoor velodrome with a new world class indoor velodrome with will in time attract National and international events to the Bendigo area. If they want to make an ‘investment’ into the region this is the way to do it.

If they want to keep costs down, Melbourne has a track under the grandstands at John Cain Arena that is ready to be used as it was in 2006 for the Commonwealth Games and other international events.

It creates a great opportunity presented in front of the vic government to create a great legacy venue at Tom Flood Sports Centre by upgrading the current old outdoor velodrome with a new world class indoor velodrome with will in time attract National and international events to the Bendigo area. If they want to make an ‘investment’ into the region this is the way to do it.

If they want to keep costs down, Melbourne has a track under the grandstands at John Cain Arena that is ready to be used as it was in 2006 for the Commonwealth Games and other international events.
And it was used at the 2004 and 2012 UCI World Championships and UCI World Cup events.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it says from 2026 home countries can choose whatever sports they want with swimming and athletics only required events. Plus basketball has only featured in Australian games so may as well keep it up, easy gold medal!
You say the home nation can choose what ever they want ey? We will try and get Aussie rules in then to guarantee us two gold medals

I think the idea of developing infrastructure & facilities in regional cities is a good thought.

It's not ideal to have different sports separated in a 'Games' but it's something we need to get used to in the future - particularly if we want to host international sporting events.

It's said the athletics track will be the current Ballarat Stadium (probably with temporary stands to increase seating capacity) but that it wouldn't be big enough to host the Ceremonies. Ballarat has another stadium with a track that is a 10 minutes drive away so it will probably be used as the warm-up track with mini-buses transporting athletes etc from one to the other.

Lots of detail yet to be worked out though.

The Commonwealth Games is more important to developing Australian athletes than most other countries as our 'Oceanian Championships' are a 3rd or 4th class competition compared to Asian Games, Pan-Am, European Championships etc. Lots of our biggest stars debuted in the Commonwealth Games (eg Cathy Freeman, Sally Pearson) and used it as a stepping-stone to international success in bigger events.

Yes, well. South Africa pulled out in 2022, and Birmingham jumped in late, and did OK.

It could be that the proposal to do it in the country towns was too expensive, when you consider we have ample stadiums and venues in Melbourne to do it. It might be a ploy to save the cash from all the country redevelopment required (venues, accommodation, transport, food and drink licensing etc)- maybe there'll be an 'emergency fix' thrown in the next few months to just run it out of Melbourne.

Or maybe have a 'Commonwealth-wide' games - UK can do the cycling, Jamaice can do the aths, South Africa the Lawn Bowls etc.

Who is there to step in at three years' notice? No other Australian state has shown an interest, Canada want the one after, England held it in 2022 after already stepping in at late notice, the rest of the Commonwealth is made up of smaller countries that would struggle to host such a large-scale event. Could they give 2026 a miss or will they find a stop-gap measure?

Who is there to step in at three years' notice? No other Australian state has shown an interest, Canada want the one after, England held it in 2022 after already stepping in at late notice, the rest of the Commonwealth is made up of smaller countries that would struggle to host such a large-scale event. Could they give 2026 a miss or will they find a stop-gap measure?
London is probably the only viable option.

I get why countries don't want to hold the Commonwealth Games - the financials would not stack up, especially in a time where all governments are in debt post COVID. Even the Olympics is a waste.

problem i have is Victoria are seriously embarrassing here. If you commit to it than you need to see it through. I think the 7 billion number is bullshit, but if it is real, than move it from regional to melbourne.

Melbourne has all the facilities and the cost to host would be rather miniscule.

If they don't than i do hope Sydney step in, again they have all the facilities ready to go, dust them off. and make use of them again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back