Footy Showdown: Devlog [ New Screenshot ]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it should be a very short knockback, not a huge one, under less than a metre? Just enough to move a player out of the "sweet spot" position. Maybe only trigger it with bumping?
Yes need knock back for bumping for sure. Also, I've noticed with bumping in other AFL games, if you bump successfully, you still stop or slow down as well which makes bumping pointless.
In my game, if you successfully bump, you will continue running while the other player falls over

Yes need knock back for bumping for sure. Also, I've noticed with bumping in other AFL games, if you bump successfully, you still stop or slow down as well which makes bumping pointless.
In my game, if you successfully bump, you will continue running while the other player falls over
I think bumping for marking contests should just make the player getting bumped walk backwards a metre, not fall over. And I think collisions should warrant moving a player back, but just make it only slightly, half a metre or less. I think that's reasonable, it's not dramatically 5 metres like that game I showed you, that was just an example how I think it could look in your game but just dial it back to 20-50 cm. I think the player with the fastest movement/momentum at that time should be the one moving the player they collide into.

I thought of an idea for marking fumbles and for fend offs. You should introduce QTE's. Maybe make them the right analog stick going in 3 different directions or 3 different R1-R2/L1-L2 buttons so it doesn't conflict with the handball/kick controls of X, square, circle, triangle. Randomize 3 buttons, too, give it a 2-3 second QTE window to try and activate it. If you mess up, you drop the fumbled mark, or if you attempt a QTE during a fend off and mess up, you get pinned holding the ball by the opponent, but if you succeed, you mark the ball or pull off a fend off.

For marks, I think a player should only fumble when they're running at the ball in a sideways direction and dive for it, or they're in packs or 1v1.

For fend offs, I think there should be a button to activate it anytime, but you only get that 2-3 second QTE window to activate it and the fend off only works for 2-3 seconds. So, then it can't be exploited, on top of the randomized 3 buttons you have to press.

maxresdefault (27).jpg

Last edited:

I thought of an idea for marking fumbles and for fend offs. You should introduce QTE's. Maybe make them the right analog stick going in 3 different directions or 3 different R1-R2/L1-L2 buttons so it doesn't conflict with the handball/kick controls of X, square, circle, triangle. Randomize 3 buttons, too, give it a 2-3 second QTE window to try and activate it. If you mess up, you drop the fumbled mark, or if you attempt a QTE during a fend off and mess up, you get pinned holding the ball by the opponent, but if you succeed, you mark the ball or pull off a fend off.

For marks, I think a player should only fumble when they're running at the ball in a sideways direction and dive for it, or they're in packs or 1v1.

For fend offs, I think there should be a button to activate it anytime, but you only get that 2-3 second QTE window to activate it and the fend off only works for 2-3 seconds. So, then it can't be exploited, on top of the randomized 3 buttons you have to press.

View attachment 1717828
Good idea but I think QTEs would be more annoying than anything else. Especially if they last 2-3 seconds. The gameplay would have to stop or if it continues during the QTE you could get tackled by another player.

Another option could be fend could be eg. L2 + holding y, a bar fills and you engage the fend with the opponent, when the bar fills you have to let it go at the right point to successfully fend, at which point you would push the player off and continue on your way. The bar could fill in less than a second so will happen very quickly which brings in reaction time for the person playing and doesn't stop or slow the game down.

What do you think?

Good idea but I think QTEs would be more annoying than anything else. Especially if they last 2-3 seconds. The gameplay would have to stop or if it continues during the QTE you could get tackled by another player.

Another option could be fend could be eg. L2 + holding y, a bar fills and you engage the fend with the opponent, when the bar fills you have to let it go at the right point to successfully fend, at which point you would push the player off and continue on your way. The bar could fill in less than a second so will happen very quickly which brings in reaction time for the person playing and doesn't stop or slow the game down.

What do you think?
I don't mean by pausing the game, but with continuous movement of gameplay you have to press 3 randomized buttons to control a fumbled ball you're trying to mark, or to successfully fend off. Randomizing the buttons would make it a challenge, it would be hard to exploit that. Also, when you say you'll be tackled, I think that's fine, because you have to time it right and be more in a 1 on 1 situation, so then it's not exploitable. Maybe you can do it in 1 second, then it gives you a 3 second window to knock down only 1 opponent, then you have to activate the randomized button fend off if you want to do it again. And I don't think the user would try and use the fend off all the time, because of the continuous play they have to worry about.

I'm thinking Guitar Hero like but with just a simple push of a button. I think perhaps the right analog stick could be the best option, that you have to move it in 3 different directions, all randomized. Maybe sometimes twice in the same direction to add variety.

I think hover the button randomizer hud over the player, so you don't have to look away from the play. Fade the button randomizer hud in when it's activated and fade it out when it's over in 2-3 seconds.

Last edited:
View attachment idea.mp4
Here's my mock up of my idea. Bare with me, imagine it's the player doing a fumbling the ball animation.

I think 1 and a half seconds maybe enough time to do it. You could test it if you implement it.

First button should be always visible then disappear when pressed. I had the second button at 70% opacity then 100% when it was its turn to press, then disappear. The last button is at 40% when it's the first buttons turn, then 70% at second, then 100% opacity/completely visible when its at its turn then disappear.

Or, maybe make it just 1 analog stick graphic, or an outline of a triangle that glows, pops up 1 at a time and is smaller than the mock up I posted over your selected player, so it doesn't conflict visually with the other players on the field for fends offs.

Maybe add a "fumbling" text graphic like the "mark" and "spoil" graphic to tell the user what's happening.

Last edited:
View attachment 1718006
Here's my mock up of my idea. Bare with me, imagine it's the player doing a fumbling the ball animation.

I think 1 and a half seconds maybe enough time to do it. You could test it if you implement it.

First button should be always visible then disappear when pressed. I had the second button at 70% opacity then 100% when it was its turn to press, then disappear. The last button is at 40% when it's the first buttons turn, then 70% at second, then 100% opacity/completely visible when its at its turn then disappear.

Or, maybe make it just 1 analog stick graphic, or an outline of a triangle that glows, pops up 1 at a time and is smaller than the mock up I posted over your selected player, so it doesn't conflict visually with the other players on the field for fends offs.

Maybe add a "fumbling" text graphic like the "mark" and "spoil" graphic to tell the user what's happening.
I see what you meaning now. A cool concept. With things like this, I always ask, what will this add to the game and why are we adding it?

Are we trying to make it more difficult so it isn't so easy or are we trying to add depth to the controls?

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea, I am not a fan of QTEs in a sports game. I think there are other ways to add difficulty or complexity/depth. This is not something I will be adding into the game, at least in the first iteration. Though I think something like this could be used for a set shot to add difficulty possibly.

Don't feel I'm crapping on your ideas, I like your suggestions and input so please keep them coming, I just have to keep this game in the realms of my skillset and what is possible to complete to a standard that deserves a release.

I see what you meaning now. A cool concept. With things like this, I always ask, what will this add to the game and why are we adding it?

Are we trying to make it more difficult so it isn't so easy or are we trying to add depth to the controls?

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea, I am not a fan of QTEs in a sports game. I think there are other ways to add difficulty or complexity/depth. This is not something I will be adding into the game, at least in the first iteration. Though I think something like this could be used for a set shot to add difficulty possibly.

Don't feel I'm crapping on your ideas, I like your suggestions and input so please keep them coming, I just have to keep this game in the realms of my skillset and what is possible to complete to a standard that deserves a release.
If you can think of other ways to introduce fumbling or fend offs but make it so it's not exploitable, that'd be awesome. I just thought randomizing the controls would achieve that. It's just an idea to make it more advanced. No Aussie Rules has fumbling, so it would make a welcomed addition if you could introduced it as a mechanic.

I think the idea is to give the gameplay replay value, so it's not a game where you just kick it forward and goal every time, it should be like the real sport where you battle in contested plays, and you have to put thought into your plays.

Another idea, maybe you could have it so you have to move your player in specific directions with the left analog stick as they're fumbling the ball to control and mark the ball.

Do you think button mashing would be doable for fend offs? Where you button mash, but it can be contested with the tackler who can also button mash to pin you down. Maybe the best to 10 button mashes, either you get pinned down or you fend off. I think there should be an ability for the opposition to counter an attempted fend off.

Also, one of my favourite parts of your gameplay was seeing a real scrap for the contested ground ball, where the players kept bumping each other and the ball got loose, and then it happened again, and it just kept coming loose. I think with your tackling and contested plays like that, the ball should come loose 95% of the time, and tapping along the ground to your advantage should be a mechanic. I would like to see the contested tackling last longer and be a bit harder to get out of, but make pinned tackles harder, only really activated with gang tackles or a failed fend off attempt, or run down from behind as you're sprinting.

I see people say they hate "tackle fests" but I feel like they really mean "pinned down tackle fests", because the best games irl have tackle fests that just go on forever without players getting pinned, ie the end of the 2005 Semi Final, Sydney v Geelong.

Last edited:
If you can think of other ways to introduce fumbling or fend offs but make it so it's not exploitable, that'd be awesome. I just thought randomizing the controls would achieve that. It's just an idea to make it more advanced. No Aussie Rules has fumbling, so it would make a welcomed addition if you could introduced it as a mechanic.

I think the idea is to give the gameplay replay value, so it's not a game where you just kick it forward and goal every time, it should be like the real sport where you battle in contested plays, and you have to put thought into your plays.

Another idea, maybe you could have it so you have to move your player in specific directions with the left analog stick as they're fumbling the ball to control and mark the ball.

Do you think button mashing would be doable for fend offs? Where you button mash, but it can be contested with the tackler who can also button mash to pin you down. Maybe the best to 10 button mashes, either you get pinned down or you fend off. I think there should be an ability for the opposition to counter an attempted fend off.
Fully agree with footy games need more contested situations rather than simple kick miark kick mark goal scenario.

Button mashing possibly, I feel like it is more 'frowned' upon these though but do agree fumbles will help with the randomness and replayability so it doesn't feel the same.

I thought about having the players have a hand eye coordination skill so when picking the ball up on the run or marking there is a chance to fubmle if skill isn't high enough. Only problem with that though is of your down say 5 points in last quarter and send the ball forward for a mark in good position and you fumble, the player would feel rippped off or cheated and probably blame scripting.

So it's a balance I think getting that type of mechanic right and feel fair

Fully agree with footy games need more contested situations rather than simple kick miark kick mark goal scenario.

Button mashing possibly, I feel like it is more 'frowned' upon these though but do agree fumbles will help with the randomness and replayability so it doesn't feel the same.

I thought about having the players have a hand eye coordination skill so when picking the ball up on the run or marking there is a chance to fubmle if skill isn't high enough. Only problem with that though is of your down say 5 points in last quarter and send the ball forward for a mark in good position and you fumble, the player would feel rippped off or cheated and probably blame scripting.

So it's a balance I think getting that type of mechanic right and feel fair
Maybe in those situations, you should only fumble if you're in a contested marking contest, but in an uncontested marking contest, you don't fumble. But even when you fumble, you should implement some sort of a mechanic where you're given the chance to control the ball but make it so it's not exploitable and formulaic.

Maybe you could make the fumbling mechanic like it's another marking contest, where the ball bounces out of your hands up into the air in a random position, and you have to keep moving into the "sweet spot" position to catch it again. And as you sprint into it, maybe you have to slow down at the last second to control it, or it ends up bouncing out of the player's hands, and the ball flies back up into the air into another "sweet spot" position. Maybe only have 3 chances to mark the fumbled ball, or the ball bounces out of reach, or drops to the ground. Or, maybe only have it continually bounce out of your grasp if you're under pressure from close by opposition players who can nudge you or intercept the ball.

You already have the bounce out of hands animation with the spoils, you could just modify that so it gives 1 of the players the chance to finish a marking attempt with the bounced out of hands ball.

I think for struggling to pick the ball off the ground, should only be implemented when you have an opposition player pressuring you at close range and you're sprinting at the same time. You need to slow your player down when they're under pressure for ground ball pick ups.

Another idea, introduce a pressure gauge hud, so when you're really under pressure, you fumble if you're sprinting at a ground ball and you have opposition players close by. But if you're in control of the game, you can sprint at ground balls and pick them up no matter what.

Last edited:
Another option could be fend could be eg. L2 + holding y, a bar fills and you engage the fend with the opponent, when the bar fills you have to let it go at the right point to successfully fend
I think if you were to bring it in like that, have the opposition player be given the chance to counter it and be able to pin you down. I think a 1 second warning a fend off is happening, followed by 1 randomized button that lasts maybe half a second pops up that you can press to stop the fend off and pin the player down. That way it feels more fair and you're not invincible just because you were able fill up the bar, it can be countered. Or, maybe there's another way you can think of to counter fend offs, it should be like a mini challenge for both the fending off challenger and its opposition.

Last edited:
What'd you think of the idea of converting maybe 30-40% of those spoils into fumbled/bounced out of player's hands? So if you run at the ball after it bounces out of the player's hands, you can mark it, or maybe it continues to bounce out of hands a few times more, ie fumble. You already have the spoil animation and the physics for it. That would make things more interesting, rather than just the clean controlled mark and spoil mechanics being the 2 only outcomes. I think that's a much better idea than QTE's.

What'd you think of the idea of converting maybe 30-40% of those spoils into fumbled/bounced out of player's hands? So if you run at the ball after it bounces out of the player's hands, you can mark it, or maybe it continues to bounce out of hands a few times more, ie fumble. You already have the spoil animation and the physics for it. That would make things more interesting, rather than just the clean controlled mark and spoil mechanics being the 2 only outcomes. I think that's a much better idea than QTE's.
30-40% is too high fumble rate in my opinion. Would need to be around 8-10% to not be annoying or even lower, we wouldn't know until testing.

Just had an idea that would add fumbling. I could just make it an animation that triggers based on players mark skill and the fumble can just be an animation but you still mark it. Would add some variety. Could also make the spoilable during the animation to add even more variance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30-40% is too high fumble rate in my opinion. Would need to be around 8-10% to not be annoying or even lower, we wouldn't know until testing.

Just had an idea that would add fumbling. I could just make it an animation that triggers based on players mark skill and the fumble can just be an animation but you still mark it. Would add some variety. Could also make the spoilable during the animation to add even more variance
Not just an animation variation, I was thinking more so make the spoiled ball animation a possibility to mark on the rebound for one of the player's. Rather than it just being a player either marking it once on the first try, have the ball fly out of the hands like the spoil animation but make it markable as the ball flies away like the spoiled ball animation as it flies up in the air and drops. At the moment, you have that animation and physics but it's not markable as it's only a spoiled ball from an opponent instead of the mark attempters hands.

fumble2.JPG
Very crude drawing, but this is the idea. Fumble/spoil, ball flies out of hands but can be marked on the second try/rebound as the player runs into the ball that dropped out of his hands (reusing the spoil animation). But also can be blocked by opponents or if you're out of position for the rebound drop of the ball.
fumble1.JPG ball drop.JPG
Those are the existing animations you have where it's spoiled and falls to the ground, but it's not markable on the rebound, because the opponent hit it. Whereas if you tweaked it slightly, you could create a fumble/second try/rebounding mark mechanic out of that.

Last edited:
I could just make it an animation that triggers based on players mark skill and the fumble can just be an animation but you still mark it. Would add some variety. Could also make the spoilable during the animation to add even more variance
That's a really good idea, too, like a 2-3 second animation where the ball spins in the player's hands, maybe they can move away from the opponent to avoid getting spoiled, but can only do it without sprinting, or it'd dropped, whereas the opponent can sprint and knock it out. But also consider introducing the "ball drops out of hands and can be rebound marked on the second try" as a second variation of a fumble. Try and include both, I think they're both very doable, because you already have the spoil animation and physics.

Marking in every Aussie Rules game has been the same 1 try pluck or getting spoiled. I think a 1 try pluck mark should really be only doable in uncontested situations, or if you player is in the perfect position of the ball drop with momentum of the game.

game_chromosome Have you thought about opening a Patreon for support for Game development? I'd happy chip in monthly to help this game come along.
Never thought about that. Footy Showdown started as a project for me to learn game dev and see if I could create a decent AFL game.

To my surprise I created something I think I can release that would be playable and fun. If I simply release it one day, that would have exceeded all of me expectations by a long way. For it to be good and enjoyable for many people? That's a win for everyone

Never thought about that. Footy Showdown started as a project for me to learn game dev and see if I could create a decent AFL game.

To my surprise I created something I think I can release that would be playable and fun. If I simply release it one day, that would have exceeded all of me expectations by a long way. For it to be good and enjoyable for many people? That's a win for everyone
I actually thought you were employed or had been employed as a video game programmer but doing this as a side project. Surprised you surpassed almost every Aussie Rules video game with your gameplay footage.

I actually thought you were employed as a video game programmer but doing this as a side project.
No, no gamedev experience before FS. This is 4-5 years on now from where I started. When I began to put footy showdown out there, I'd been learning gamedev for about 2 years.

No, no gamedev experience before FS. This is 4-5 years on now from where I started. When I began to put footy showdown out there, I'd been learning gamedev for about 2 years.
That's wild, the gameplay footage is far better than every other Aussie Rules game. Really only think Live 2011 is in a similar league, but your game very unique. I like how it contrasts Legend Bowl's arcadey style, you've tried to go with a more simulation game only with 8 bit graphics, instead of an arcade game. Aussie Rules really needs a simulation video game. I notice the speed of your game is more like Live 2011, more grounded with weight, 23 is very weightless and ice skating like. I hope you keep it weighted like that.

And really thinking "far ahead" I think porting the game to phone, after the PC release would give the game more coverage.

How is the game going? I was wondering about the tactical side of the game, like if you're planning on having playbooks, custom formations, or individual player instructions, since I think that would really be the key to giving it real replayability trying to defeat the oppositions formations with your own custom formations and plays. Sorta like a game of chess. Footy games really have never done that before, so it's always the same unrealistic formations you figure out quickly to defeat.

Personally think you should strip it right back to a single match, Team X vs Team Y, release that as an Early Access title or whatever, tweak that based on feedback etc until you're happy with it, then slowly add new features until it's feature complete and ready for an official release.

If you try to release something that's feature complete and everything you want it to be in one hit, you'll burn out as an indie developer.

Personally think you should strip it right back to a single match, Team X vs Team Y, release that as an Early Access title or whatever, tweak that based on feedback etc until you're happy with it, then slowly add new features until it's feature complete and ready for an official release.

If you try to release something that's feature complete and everything you want it to be in one hit, you'll burn out as an indie developer.
Not a bad idea. I was thinking about releasing when I have a standard season mode working. No trading etc just choose a team and play the rounds.

We'll see what happens

How is the game going? I was wondering about the tactical side of the game, like if you're planning on having playbooks, custom formations, or individual player instructions, since I think that would really be the key to giving it real replayability trying to defeat the oppositions formations with your own custom formations and plays. Sorta like a game of chess. Footy games really have never done that before, so it's always the same unrealistic formations you figure out quickly to defeat.
A lot of that is definitely on the dream list for the game.

I just want it released but I also don't want to release something people will get bored of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back