Football club finances / FFP

Remove this Banner Ad

Not for me. Rules that still stop clubs from spending as much as competitors.

Particularly when those competitors can earn well over £100m from their privileged position at the top, which allows them to spend more and entrench their position.

We are never going to have an even spending and revenue league. Folly to pine for it
I'd rather pine for something that I think would improve the sport than sit back and accept rule changes that don't.

I'd rather pine for something that I think would improve the sport than sit back and accept rule changes that don't.
But would it though.

A spending cap style system would not work unless every European league system adopted it.

Otherwise it'd just slowly degrade the quality of the English game. Given that will never happen it would be a change that only makes English football worse for no tangible benefit

But would it though.

A spending cap style system would not work unless every European league system adopted it.

Otherwise it'd just slowly degrade the quality of the English game. Given that will never happen it would be a change that only makes English football worse for no tangible benefit
Increased competitiveness has no tangible benefit?

Wow.

Increased competitiveness has no tangible benefit?

Wow.
Not at the detriment to English football.
We've been over this already.

What does your Robin Hood model lead to.

Big English clubs less able than Spanish/German/Italian clubs of luring the top talent.

EPL not as watchable and profitable globally with top talent choosing other leagues. Leads to lower tv rights deals and even less money for English clubs as the years roll on.

In European competitions English teams are less competitive. Lesser results lead to lower aggregate eufa coefficients, and the spiral to less European places begins.

Your plan harms English football for some pie in the sky notion of equity.

I dont have a Robin Hood model, I don't have any model. Just a few ideas that I think could benefit the English game.

But the idea that a system where two or three clubs having a huge unbridgeable advantage over the rest of the league is the only way for Ebglish football to stay at the top is a bizarre one.

One that's actively promoted by the clubs at the top and their pet poodle at White Hart Lane. But a bizarre one nonetheless.

Probably not far off getting to the point where a salary cap wouldn’t really impact the quality in the premier league. Realistically is probably less than a dozen clubs in Europe with the financial power of even a bottom half team that’s been in the league for a few seasons. Not that I think they should do it.

It won’t happen but one quick fix to help things out would be to equalise payments through the league. Finish 1st or 20th and get the same share of the pie. Clubs in Europe get enough to cover costs and a small earn but any prize money goes back to the pyramid.

City last season is the perfect example. They are already the best team in Europe. They go deep in all competitions so can earn more money from corporate arrangements. Then they walk away with more money than everyone else due to on field success which they can spend to make sure they stay one of the best teams in Europe. Meanwhile a Palace or Brentford incur most of the same operating costs at the domestic level outside of wages, get a much smaller share of the pie but are somehow meant to authentically/sustainably close the gap and compete with City.

I dont have a Robin Hood model, I don't have any model. Just a few ideas that I think could benefit the English game.

But the idea that a system where two or three clubs having a huge unbridgeable advantage over the rest of the league is the only way for Ebglish football to stay at the top is a bizarre one.

One that's actively promoted by the clubs at the top and their pet poodle at White Hart Lane. But a bizarre one nonetheless.
A viewpoint I will never agree with. You get what you earn, you earn (commercially) what you're worth and pro sport is a dog eat dog world.

Rules around spending aren't going to help/hinder Bournemouth relative to Manchester United.
They'll always be able to spend more regardless of what rules are in place.

Financial rules should have 1 job. Hinder or prevent clubs and owners from recklessness that sees clubs default and go broke.

UCL money should not go to those that don't earn it, just as coefficient points (as we have now) for historical performance shouldn't exist. They should go to clubs who have earned those points in the preceding 5 seasons.

Should match the ratio to that of UEFA's 70%. If a club is spending above 70% then makes it into Europe, needing to sell to come under the lower threshold is hardly a reward.

Not for me. Rules that still stop clubs from spending as much as competitors.

Particularly when those competitors can earn well over £100m from their privileged position at the top, which allows them to spend more and entrench their position.

More like you prefer rules that let those with unlimited resources outspend their rivals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More like you prefer rules that let those with unlimited resources outspend their rivals.
You just have to feel sorry for poor poverty stricken Liverpool that have never spent a penny.

Since the PL the top 6 has become entrenched. You for years were a nothing club, spending 8 years in Div 2 and then hit the jackpot as English football went global. Now you're part of the cabal preventing other clubs from trying to achieve anything. Nothing better than seeing the same 5 teams winning the trophies each year.

They're only trying to keep up with their neighbours at PSR Breach arena.
We can't all write off £50m spending as stadium losses despite a new stadium never being built.

Authorities trying to enforce powers it doesn't have. Shock horror.

Seems like they tried to do something that would be fairest and conceded when it wasn't possible. In some ways it would have been in Leicesters best interest to cop it this season when they were so far clear but they've bottled it a bit now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back