Football club finances / FFP

Remove this Banner Ad

How has that club been so completely mismanaged? That's wild.

I will say though, Maddison and Barnes were sold after June weren't they? And KDH being sold this Jan would have had zero bearing on those accounts.

Maddison was sold in a rush to fit into these financials.

Fofana's massive sale is also included :tearsofjoy:

Barnes isn't included.

I was merely talking about the entire intent of the club regarding KDH. They haven't looked to reduce spending or recoup any player sales at all. It's been intentional cheating with the hope of getting promoted and fobbing the EFL off in the process.

They took out loans against guaranteed PL TV revenue and outstanding player sale installments with Macquarie Bank in Aus and have spent it on day to day costs.

This is Leeds in 2000 type stuff.

Without looking I imagine Leicester haven't spent a great deal on infrastructure / youf either. Not good.

Perhaps take a look, they've completely overhauled their training and Academy complex in recent years.

It's seriously impressive that training complex.

Will be far and away the best one in non league football.

On a more serious note, I have absolutely no idea how that was allowed to happen. It's like no one working in the financials there had any understanding on how FFP worked at all.

Or just didn't care.

Albion announce a massive £122.8m profit for the 2022/23 season…

1. Doesn’t include Caicedo and Sanchez sales - they’ll be in next year’s accounts.
2. Tony Bloom has received the first repayment on his loan to the club.
3. “We now have a very solid platform to continue to make significant progress on the pitch, by investing in our squad,”

We should be ok with FFP for a few seasons.

Apparently this is the highest post tax profit in PL history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I read a while back about Leicester is that they were about £40m down on TV/prize money due to the drop in results from the previous couple of years.

Would imagine that accounts for a lot of the 17% drop in revenue despite the 13 month accounting period.

GKQD8Y2XYAAA1zC

This is the real area 6 clubs have a massive advantage over the rest, and not unfairly imo, they earn more.
They don't have to leverage themselves as highly with wages/turnover as the rest of the league. Villa is concerning but Leicester is straight up red flags.

GKQD8Y2XYAAA1zC

This is the real area 6 clubs have a massive advantage over the rest, and not unfairly imo, they earn more.
They don't have to leverage themselves as highly with wages/turnover as the rest of the league. Villa is concerning but Leicester is straight up red flags.
The best way to increase your earnings is to do better on the pitch. Qualify for tournaments and bigger prize money. Also much easier for side's that are at the top end of the table and in the big competition to earn more commercial revenue.

FFP makes it more difficult for clubs to catch up to the richer clubs financially by limiting how much you can improve on the pitch.

Totally unfair and anti competitive imo, and the sport is worse for it,

The best way to increase your earnings is to do better on the pitch. Qualify for tournaments and bigger prize money. Also much easier for side's that are at the top end of the table and in the big competition to earn more commercial revenue.

FFP makes it more difficult for clubs to catch up to the richer clubs financially by limiting how much you can improve on the pitch.

Considering Newcastle, who are owned by a Petro-state as Zidane loves to remind us, have to sell Bruno to meet FFP it does make a mockery of it. They improved, struggled this year with the addition of Champs League and a thin squad in quality and now because they won't make CL they have to make their team worse to meet the FFP rules. Total joke.

All this could all be true.

So far I've only seen you make suggestions that diminish competitive integrity.
Those that earn to give to those that don't.

If you have a suggestion that doesn't do that I'll be more receptive.

All this could all be true.

So far I've only seen you make suggestions that diminish competitive integrity.
Those that earn to give to those that don't.

If you have a suggestion that doesn't do that I'll be more receptive.
The problem is unlike the 70s and 80s, those that make the Top 4 are pretty much one of 6 teams and then the rest make up the lower European leagues but are so ingrained into that top culture that they are guaranteed large revenue from other sources (merchandise sales etc). United haven't been close to anything for 12 years but are still one of the most popular sides in the world due to the 90s and 00s and constantly bring in the additional revenue outside of the Champions League which they don't make a lot of out anymore. Something is needed to break that cycle to make that aspect more competitive.

The problem is unlike the 70s and 80s, those that make the Top 4 are pretty much one of 6 teams and then the rest make up the lower European leagues but are so ingrained into that top culture that they are guaranteed large revenue from other sources (merchandise sales etc). United haven't been close to anything for 12 years but are still one of the most popular sides in the world due to the 90s and 00s and constantly bring in the additional revenue outside of the Champions League which they don't make a lot of out anymore. Something is needed to break that cycle to make that aspect more competitive.
That may be true. And I don't think PSR works.
Not being able to spend profits from further back than the 3 year rolling window is BS. Those clubs aren't going broke.

They're making an accounting loss, not trading insolvent.
But I also don't agree with redistributing prizemoney from European competitions to those not competing.

I think the PL should provide funds to the EFL and below.
Fostering amateur grassroots lower tier pro football invests in the future players of the EPL.

That may be true. And I don't think PSR works.
Not being able to spend profits from further back than the 3 year rolling window is BS. Those clubs aren't going broke.

They're making an accounting loss, not trading insolvent.
But I also don't agree with redistributing prizemoney from European competitions to those not competing.

I think the PL should provide funds to the EFL and below.
Fostering amateur grassroots lower tier pro football invests in the future players of the EPL.
Do not disagree at all. The FA also ****ed everything with the EPP which effectively made lower academies useless and everyone is now funnelled into PL academies, removing much needed transfer fees to the lower league clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back