First Game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane (bears) first game was an away game against North.
West Coast's first game was at home against Richmond.
Adelaide's first game was at home against Hawthorn (and they thrashed the eventual premiers).
Freo's first game was away against Richmond.
Port's first game was away against Pies.
GC's first game was in round 2 against Carlton at the Gabba, had a bye round 1.
GWS's first game was the derby against Sydney at ANZ.

I'd say it'll be against a Vic side, hopefully in Tassie. Probably Hawthorn, Essendon or North.

I think the Suns would be the right choice. As others have mentioned, it'll sell out regardless, so no need to play those that will draw a big crowd (and potentailly half going for the other team) such as Hawthorn, Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton etc.

Tassie crowds are always pretty introverted, so giving them a bit of an enemy team (getting in before us, Cochrane's comments etc.) to increase chances of getting involved by booing or whatever and having 99% of the crowd all wanting one team to win will be the better spectacle.

I'd have the pre-season game in Launceston, then the first H&A game for us in Hobart (I'd personally say have all games in Hobart but that's another argument and clearly not going to happen..).

I agree that you don't want to waste a big drawing team in the first game that will sell out anyway.

But one to consider is TV. The first game should be on FTA TV and the AFL will likely want a Victorian team to cover the Melbourne market, so a non big four Vic team makes sense to me, e.g. WB, StK, Melb.

I agree that you don't want to waste a big drawing team in the first game that will sell out anyway.

But one to consider is TV. The first game should be on FTA TV and the AFL will likely want a Victorian team to cover the Melbourne market, so a non big four Vic team makes sense to me, e.g. WB, StK, Melb.
To open the new stadium they will bring a big Victorian club down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know that we should get our hopes up of it being someone significant. Apart from the Giants, the AFL don't really have a history of scheduling new teams in significant games, the new team themselves is the draw.

We also don't know what the stadium is going to look like, and whether it'll be on time. The more I think about it, the more I don't want this team to ever play at Bellerive, so I think that's a greater priority than scheduling a big blockbuster at home. Come 2028 we might be better off being hosted by Hawthorn at York Park in week 1 and only playing 2 home games in the first 2 months cos the stadium might not be ready - we don't know yet.

I don't know that we should get our hopes up of it being someone significant. Apart from the Giants, the AFL don't really have a history of scheduling new teams in significant games, the new team themselves is the draw.

We also don't know what the stadium is going to look like, and whether it'll be on time. The more I think about it, the more I don't want this team to ever play at Bellerive, so I think that's a greater priority than scheduling a big blockbuster at home. Come 2028 we might be better off being hosted by Hawthorn at York Park in week 1 and only playing 2 home games in the first 2 months cos the stadium might not be ready - we don't know yet.
Stadium is expected to be finished by 2029

I absolutely want to play at Bellerive so we can see how ridiculous it is.

First game will be at the redeveloped York Park (around 24k). You would want it packed by Tasmanians and you want a win so go with whichever non Vic club is the weakest. If it were 2024…
Rnd 1 Tas v WCE York Park
Rnd 3 Tas v Freo Bellerive.

Probable draw, telling us all we need to know:

R01 - Tasmania v Mainland H
R02 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R03 - Tasmania v Mainland H
R04 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R05 - Tasmania v Mainland Adelaide Magic Round
R06 - Tasmania v Mainland H
R07 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R08 - Tasmania v Mainland H
R09 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R10 - Bye
R11 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R12 - Tasmania v Mainland H
R13 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R14 - Tasmania v Mainland H
R15 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R16 - Tasmania v Mainland H
R17 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R18 - Tasmania v Mainland H
R19 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R20 - Tasmania v Mainland H
R21 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R22 - Tasmania v Mainland H
R23 - Tasmania v Mainland A
R24 - Tasmania v Mainland H

Apparently the opposition teams all have different names, but who gaf. Every game is a grudge match...

I would have guessed North.

Small, Victorian, connection. Ticks all the boxes. Has to be up in Launny though. They should get over half the matches in the first year because of boot park.

First game for Mac Point will be.....Melbourne. random guess. GOtta get them down here before it snows.

I would have guessed North.

Small, Victorian, connection. Ticks all the boxes. Has to be up in Launny though. They should get over half the matches in the first year because of boot park.

First game for Mac Point will be.....Melbourne. random guess. GOtta get them down here before it snows.
It basically never snows in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back