Movie Film Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

In the iconic 1990 Australian comedy 'The Big Steal' shonky second-hand car dealer Gordon Farkas, so well played by Steve Bisley. is clearly a St Kilda fan. In his office where he and the other crooks at the car yard employ high-pressure sales tactics to get Danny to buy the Jaguar, an old 'Follow The Saints With Mobil Gas' sign from the early 1960s is visible on the wall.

Later in the film when the crooked car salesman is arrested for drink driving, this is filmed in St Kilda. When Gordon drives down the street in his own Jaguar (which is belching copious amounts of exhaust) and goes straight through a red light while singing country and western songs, attracting the attention of the police this takes place on Fitzroy Street. And when Gordon gives a demonstration of what not to do when dealing with the police, he is arrested outside Luna Park a short way up the road.

Watching GETAWAY (2013) on TV right now. Imdb....

There are zero cgi effects in any of the car action and crash scenes.

"Having raced on a small level and taken high performance driving courses I was stunned that this could be filmed without CGI. The moves I saw were close to unbelievable and I can believe the movie had over 6000 edits and crashed over 130 cars-what a bill that must have been."

Does anyone know any movies in which famous dialogue from other movies is used? I don't mean films such as Scary Movie, Not Another Teen Movie or Wrongfully Accused, as these are parody movies and you expect to hear famous dialogue quoted or paraphrased. For example, I am thinking about:

Raging Bull: at the end of the film Robert de Niro quotes Brando's "I coulda been a contender speech" from On The Waterfront.
The Dark Knight: Heath Ledger playfully tells Christian Bale (as Batman) "You complete me" (from Jerry Maguire).

Does anyone know any movies in which famous dialogue from other movies is used? I don't mean films such as Scary Movie, Not Another Teen Movie or Wrongfully Accused, as these are parody movies and you expect to hear famous dialogue quoted or paraphrased. For example, I am thinking about:

Raging Bull: at the end of the film Robert de Niro quotes Brando's "I coulda been a contender speech" from On The Waterfront.
The Dark Knight: Heath Ledger playfully tells Christian Bale (as Batman) "You complete me" (from Jerry Maguire).

I'm sure there will be hundreds of examples, but I can't think of many just now. One comes to mind from Fight Club, in the scene where Brad Pitt terrorises the store clerk. He yells "Run Forrest Run".

Another instance is from the 1973 comedy Sleeper. Woody Allen and Diane Keaton engage in quoting a small scene from A Streetcar Named Desire. However, it is Woody who delivers Vivien Leigh's lines and Diane delivers Marlon Brando's lines. I would like to know whether the original idea was for Diane to do Vivien's lines and someone then had the idea for Diane to deliver Brando's lines after realising she had worked with Brando the year before in The Godfather and maybe had some inside knowledge on his mannerisms.

In the 2015 movie Hyena Road, David Richmond-Peck plays a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan with the surname Hickey. His right-hand man in this operation is a soldier played by Rossif Sutherland with the surname Sanders. At one point Hickey is meeting with a Pakistani former militant in order to try to gain important military information. An interpreter is also present. After a few minutes of talking in an abandoned run-down house, a chicken jumps from a nearby window and lands next to Hickey. The Pakistani states, "The chicken hates you!".
If only the writers had decided that Sanders should be the one to question the militant (and made his rank a colonel) then it would have been Colonel Sanders being hated by the chicken!

Was reading the trivia on imdb from Love Story the other day (didnt watch the film, was just looking it up after watching "The Offer")

In What's Up, Doc? (1972) starring Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal, the closing lines have Howard (O'Neal) saying "I'm sorry" to Judy (Streisand) with Judy replying, "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Howard then says, "That's the dumbest thing I ever heard."

One of the most famous movie re-casts is that of the character Jennifer Parker - Marty McFly's girlfriend - in the Back to the Future trilogy. In the original movie in 1985 she was played by Claudia Wells, but when Claudia was not available to appear in the sequel 4 years later, Jennifer was recast with Elizabeth Schue in the role, who played the character in the second and third BTTF films.

However there was actually a third actress signed on to play Jennifer in the original movie, and this was Melora Hardin who was to appear opposite the original Marty McFly Eric Stoltz. But when Eric Stoltz was replaced by Michael J Fox early in production, there was an immediate problem. Melora was quite a tall girl, which was fine with Stoltz, but she was several inches taller than Fox which those producing the film felt did not look right, so she was replaced by Claudia Wells. Melora Hardin did not film a single scene in the original BTTF, so there is no chance of a poor quality clip of a third Jennifer Parker appearing on YouTube any time soon.

The high school used for the fictional Hill Valley High School in the Back to the Future films was Wittier High School in Los Angeles County California. One of its famous alumni was future President Richard Nixon in the Class of 1930. I wonder if the Principal of Wittier High in the late 1920s ever reprimanded Richard Nixon for being a slacker?

Marlon Brando was scheduled to return for a cameo in the flashback at the end of the film but, because of the way Paramount Pictures treated him during The Godfather (1972), he did not show up for shooting on the day the scene was filmed. Francis Ford Coppola re-wrote the scene without Vito, and it was filmed the next day.

While the word "mafia" is never spoken in The Godfather (1972), it is heard three times in this film, during the Senate hearings. Senator Patrick 'Pat' Geary says, "These hearings on the Mafia..." The committee Chairman says, "You are the head of the most powerful Mafia family in this country." Michael Corleone in his statement says, "Whether it is called 'Mafia' or 'Cosa Nostra' or whatever other name you wish... "

Robert De Niro only speaks 17 words of English in the entire film.

I'm glad Brando wasn't in the final scene. I think it works better without him.

And Pacino not winning the Oscar for Best Actor. Wtsf...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching GETAWAY (2013) on TV right now. Imdb....

There are zero cgi effects in any of the car action and crash scenes.

"Having raced on a small level and taken high performance driving courses I was stunned that this could be filmed without CGI. The moves I saw were close to unbelievable and I can believe the movie had over 6000 edits and crashed over 130 cars-what a bill that must have been."

This reminds me of some of the great trivia about Grand Prix (1966) staring James Garner. The film mixes real F1 footage with actors filmed driving F3 cars mocked up to look like their F1 counterparts. The director refused to speed up footage to make the cars look faster and so the actors had to drive them reasonably fast.

James Garner would reguarly spend breaks racing against the stunt men and professional drivers on set and by all accounts competed very well against them. When filming Garner was too tall to look right in the F3 cars and so they simply removed the seat and he drove sitting on a towel.... no seatbelt.

Showing its age but still a great movie and for me that era of F1 cars are some of my favourites... flaming death traps for sure but beautiful flaming death traps.

Last edited:
People usually win tje oscar when the story is heart warming in some way, some kind of biographical tale of adversity etc. That gets the actor over the libmne versus other actors whose movie story was fictional
Sure but that’s not Bullocks fault. It’s not even the filmmakers fault.

At the time Oher and the family gave their permission and we’re involved in all of it.

I mean there’s a strong argument that she never should have won it in the first place for a hallmark quality white savior story but the fact its (seems like) bullshit doesn’t really impact the quality of her performance does it?
Right that she never should have won it the first place,pulling off a southern twang is hardly Oscar worthy.
Fraud movie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back