Player Watch Father-Son Pick #60 (2021) - Jase Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

He has made that wing his own. I like how he gets from contest to contest, the more contests you can get to and influence as a wing the better.

And unlike some other characters Port have tried and traded on the wings during the Hinkley era, seems to want to win his own ball rather than cherry pick on the outside.

He will play 200 games if he keeps his up.

You can add skill and polish. Everything else he's got can't be taught.
Can you? I would think it's the opposite. I can't think of any player who has improved their kicking significantly since entering the AFL. I can think of multiple players who have become tougher in the contest - Amon, Polec, Farrell etc.

His kicking technique is just not going to be conducive to being a high skill player. Doesn't get any power through the ball, it's all up and down. Flubs alot kicks which result in poor turnovers, including his shot on goal last night.

He's still going to be useful, would probably be more useful playing inside than out, but will always be limited by well below average skills.

Can you? I would think it's the opposite. I can't think of any player who has improved their kicking significantly since entering the AFL. I can think of multiple players who have become tougher in the contest - Amon, Polec, Farrell etc.

His kicking technique is just not going to be conducive to being a high skill player. Doesn't get any power through the ball, it's all up and down. Flubs alot kicks which result in poor turnovers, including his shot on goal last night.

He's still going to be useful, would probably be more useful playing inside than out, but will always be limited by well below average skills.
We were literally saying that about Butters two years ago and he has improved the depth and strength of his kicks significantly. No reason Jase can't do the same thing with more experience and a couple more years of strength training

He’s developing nicely in finding the ball but I still think he lacks hurt factor. Doesn’t really take the game on with run and carry and his kicks are often dinky sideways kicks. More than happy to give him more time though

He is going to be more than useful. The kid can really play. His kicking can definitely be improved and will as he gains more experience and strength.

It was great seeing another young player break out especially a Burger.

I was surprised by his stoppage work as well. Good stuff.

And my understanding is that his brother is better than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s developing nicely in finding the ball but I still think he lacks hurt factor. Doesn’t really take the game on with run and carry and his kicks are often dinky sideways kicks. More than happy to give him more time though
I remember a young man in Dan Houston that also had like high 90's efficiency rating early days, but only ever took very safe kicks. It's very normal as he's developing his confidence. The fact he can find it 20+ times is a gift of its own, let's now hope he grows and starts being more creative and exhibiting the confidence to hit more damaging kicks. Another couple years and we'll be starting to see just where his game will get to.

I remember a young man in Dan Houston that also had like high 90's efficiency rating early days, but only ever took very safe kicks. It's very normal as he's developing his confidence. The fact he can find it 20+ times is a gift of its own, let's now hope he grows and starts being more creative and exhibiting the confidence to hit more damaging kicks. Another couple years and we'll be starting to see just where his game will get to.
Yeah I'm more hopeful than doubtful - it seems his limitation at the moment is hesitation to take the game on and general risk aversion. I'd love to see him run and carry a lot more than he does in particular. I don't think this is a vision or skill issue, likely just needs to feel more confident in his ability and his belonging at AFL level to assist.

I’m loving his reading of the play.
He seems to be getting to heaps more contests and getting into great positions.

Not everyone is going to have an elite leg, he just needs to keep working on it and know his limitations

Burgs had a really good game, reminded me of young Duursma getting up and down the ground to help out forward and back.

Absolutely noticed the different in size between him and NWM, but Burgs is so strong around the ball, it didn't make much difference to his ability to impact a contest.

He's getting recognised by the media now too, the post-match show with Adam Cooney highlighted a couple of super efforts in the last quarter.

Played only around 20 games.
Still trying to find if he belongs at the level.
Let's see what he's like after 50-60.

Great to see him develop
Love the romance of a quality father/ son
Certainly has the wonderful Burgoyne footy genes.
The penetration on his kicking should improve when he puts some weight on
I would put a 2kg weight in his shoes
Hope his younger brother is better as heard
But sad that we cut his older brother
Saw him in a trial game years ago & thought he was a talent, but many said he was simply too small
Now peeps are drooling over Hill/ Pickett, 2 other flyweights
Irony of this not lost on me

Shocked Ken gave him 10.

Edit. Yes, I'm dumb.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back