everyone needs introductions

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome whatsthisfooty. Good to see you taking an interest in our game. It will be interesting to hear what you like about it. I hope you stay the distance because Port is on the rise. I've followed NFL since early 80s and took a huge liking to Oakland, I just like their tough history and how they're hated by the league, it just seems fitting when you're a Port supporter, plus they wear black!

Hello, my name is Rod and I'm from Colorado USA.
I'm a fan of your fine game for all of 4-5 weeks now and decided to barrack for Port Adelaide after being quite and truly impressed by your boys style of play in the first AFL match I'd ever seen. I'll probably just hang around and soak up as much as I can from you folks, perhaps ask a question or two also, but mainly learn your game and cheer on the Power while doing so. Maybe in the future I'll have something worthwhile to add to your discussions.
Cheers,
Rod

Welcome aboard whatsthisfooty. Last year a Canadian fan Ogopogo a resident in Edmonton discovered the game and on the Introductions Board posted the following thread. A Port fan who married a Canadian and knew I lived in Canada for a year invited me onto the thread. Lots of people explained the game to Ogo including myself, so you might find this thread a good start to some of the questions you have about our great game. Within 12 months Ogo has dropped Hockey as his number 1 sport and Australian Football has become no. 1 for him. He became a Gold Coast Suns fan because he loves the way Gary Ablett plays and he figured if he adopts a new team it grows as his love for the game grows and he doesn't have to learn all the history and gets to know all the players who have ever played for a club that is only 4 years old. But Port has become his second team, partly because I answered a lot of his questions and told him a bit about Port but mainly because the way we have payed last year. I got Private Messages from him during last years finals and at the start of this year. He is trying to get a business trip to Australia so he can watch a few games live in the flesh. He has become s footy freak within 12 months. I hope you have a similar conversion to the game and our great club.

The one thing that will help you understand the game is that the fundamental philosphy of the game is, and if the umpires are in doubt about a free, then its PLAY ON!!!!!!! just like in life - when in doubt, just keep playing on.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/

Last edited:
whatsthisfooty if that thread is to long then have a look at this clip I posted in there to try to understand the game. Apparently Eric Bana ad-libed for almost an hour but the director could only use 30 odd seconds. He is a massive Saint Kilda supporter.

Within 12 months Ogo has dropped Hockey as his number 1 sport and Australian Football has become no. 1 for him. /

If he's an Edmonton Oilers fan, I can't blame him for dropping hockey. They're the Melbourne of the NHL, last every year despite their storied history.

TSN carries a couple of games a week and despite not promoting the game they're clearly converting more Canadians to our game. Plus after this season TSN won't have hockey for 11 years after their great rivals Rogers won the Canadian hockey rights with a blockbuster bid. So TSN will be pushing football of all codes- and in June, the only football they'll have to push is AFL.

Well it's been 8 months and I'm still here so I might as well introduce myself, my name's Dylan and I've been a Port Supporter since before I can remember. My earliest Port memory is watching the 88 Grand Final as a 7 year old and being struck by how much more desperate for the ball we seemed. It seemed like at the bottom of every pack there was a Port player. My dad was a huge fan so I didn't really have any other option, and to grow up down south (Morphett Vale and Christies) surrounded by Bays supporters only served to make me more vehement in my support, even though we didn't get to go to games much.

I grew up idolising Russell Johnston, Tim Ginever, Scott Hodges, Greg Phillips, Roger Delaney and Paul Northeast (idolising may not be the right word for Northeast, he was a favourite) to name a few. It's too bad that of those players only Scotty managed to get on our first AFL list, and then only to play in that preseason game (Freo?) but the injustice of 1990 is another discussion for another time.

If I had to choose a favourite premiership it would have to be 2004, mostly because it had the most heartbreak beforehand. My favourite player would have been Tredders in the past (worked so hard, so skilled, made everyone else better, overcame his goalkicking stuff, my mind always goes back to the first showdown in 04 when Adelaide was playing three guys on him and he still managed to kick 7 of our 13 goals), and Tom Jonas from the present day (such a good, hard player).

I only discovered BigFooty was a thing when while discussing how terrible the umpiring was in our semi final last year with a friend at work, he mentioned the huge thread here about just that. Turns out I'm terrible at this internet thing and you've all been here or at TPFP for a billion years. I'm a fairly quiet person normally so I tend to just hang out, like posts and occasionally post gifs that are only tangentially related to the conversation at hand.

Last edited:
Been here 2 years now so ill give this a go :D

Name: Damien

Nickname: Damo

(Mtr Reg)/Club DJ (weekends)

AFL Team: Port Adelaide

SANFL Team: Port Adelaide

Membership/Season Tickets: Silver 11 Game 2010 - Current

Other teams: Adelaide United, Liverpool, LA Clippers

Footy club/history in the family: None really, Mum went for Port Adelaide Magpies and whole family are Power Supporters.

Favourite premiership: 2004

Last edited:
Been here 2 years now so ill give this a go :D

Name: Damien

Nickname: Damo

Membership/Season Tickets: Silver 11 Game 2010 - Current

Other teams: Adelaide United, Liverpool, LA Clippers

Footy club/history in the family: None really, Mum went for Port Adelaide Magpies and whole family are Power Supporters.

Favourite premiership: 2004

Damo? I think I saw you in a 'ciggybutt brain' video :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got around to this after almost a decade...

Name: [REDACTED].
AFL Team: Port Adelaide.
SANFL Team: Port Adelaide.
Other Teams: Adelaide 36ers, LA Lakers, Canberra Raiders, Queensland (Origin), Millwall.

Favourite Port players: Craig Bradley, Tim Evans, Gavin Wanganeen, Michael Wilson, Justin Westhoff.
Favourite Port games: Virtual family reunions for Port v Central at Elizabeth Oval; several heart-stoppers in 1988; 1996 Prelim Final (SANFL.) Showdown, Round 19, 2013; Showdown I, 1997. (AFL.)
First Port game: Round 1, 1980 v Central at Elizabeth Oval. Five years-old. Made a big impression by massively stacking it down the hill. Tumbled arse over tit and crashed face-first into the mesh-wire fence at the bottom. Howled the joint down.
Footy/Club History in the family: BOG Irish family is split right down the middle. Half barracks for Port, the other half barracks for Centrals/Crows. Family stayed at Pennington hostel when they first arrived in 1969. Old man looked for a team that played like his beloved Kerry back home. That search took him to Alberton. Half the family defected in the move to Elizabeth. Shockingly, my older brother who worshipped Russell Ebert was among the traitors.
Favourite Premiership: 1990. Really was Port v The World. So relieved when the final siren went. To paraphrase Teddy Whitten: "We stuck it right up them! That's what we did! We stuck it right up them!"

Last edited:
Time to do the newbie intro thing:

Name: Bel Brown
Membership/Season Tickets: Platinum Member (Power), Member (Magpies)
Other Teams: New York Yankees
Footy/Club History in the Family: Whilst we have known many people in the inner sanctum, my most well-known association is in cricket: Dad was Sir Donald Bradman's Physiotherapist. Oh and of course Big Footy member, Alberton Proud is my hubby ;)

Welcome aboard WINGARDium. Looks like the Port Adelaide BigFooty Board is the family board. ;)

Welcome aboard WINGARDium. Looks like the Port Adelaide BigFooty Board is the family board. ;)

Cheers Ford Fairlane! I used to be part of the Power from Port forum and my hubby talked so much about Big Footy, I decided I may as well get involved. Been great meeting up with everyone at The Legends Bar :)

I keep lurking, starting to feel a bit creepy about it, so here's an intro. (Though I'm not likely to become a prolific poster, prefer to stay quiet generally.)

Name: Jamie
Other teams: Adelaide Utd, Socceroos
Membership/Season Tickets: Interstate member
Footy club/history in the family: Dad's a supporter, so I have been as far back as I can remember. Mum's a Sturt supporter, but the option of being anyone other than Port never occurred to me. I tried out for Port's Under 17 squad back in the mid-late nineties (having grown up in an Eagles area and playing in their youth squad), but bombed. I blame my knees, but I wasn't committed to the idea of being a professional. Was lost to the sport for a long time - still don't really like the state of the game - but started regaining more than a passing interest in 2011. Probably love the club more than the sport.
Favourite premiership: 1994 ('89 was great too)
Favourite players: Probably Tom Jonas and Hamish Hartlett currently. Historically Scott Hodges, Tim Ginever, Paul Northeast, etc etc

Last edited:
I keep lurking, starting to feel a bit creepy about it, so here's an intro. (Though I'm not likely to become a prolific poster, prefer to stay quiet generally.)

Name: Jamie
Other teams: Adelaide Utd, Socceroos
Membership/Season Tickets: Interstate member
Footy club/history in the family: Dad's a supporter, so I have been as far back as I can remember. Mum's a Sturt supporter, but the option of being anyone other than Port never occurred to me. I tried out for Port's Under 17 squad back in the mid-late nineties (having grown up in an Eagles area and playing in their youth squad), but bombed. I blame my knees, but I wasn't committed to the idea of being a professional. Was lost to the sport for a long time - still don't really like the state of the game - but started regaining more than a passing interest in 2011. Probably love the club more than the sport.
Favourite premiership: 1994 ('89 was great too)
Favourite players: Probably Tom Jonas and Hamish Hartlett currently. Historically Scott Hodges, Tim Ginever, Paul Northeast, etc etc

Oh the irony...my Mum is the Port supporter and Dad is Sturt! :rolleyes:

Hey cool I didn't know this existed

AFL Team: Adelaide Cr- Port Adelaide.
SANFL Team: Port Adelaide.
Other Teams: Still currently trying to pick an EPL team, most likely Liverpool. And an NBL team. In A-League I'm pretty fond of the WSW.

Favourite Port players: Wilson, Shaun Burgoyne (past), I tend to change every year. Currently Jackson Trengove this year.
Favourite Port games: Saints vs Port Adelaide Prelim in 04. I was pretty young back then and I vividly remember completely losing my s**t and hitting my friend I was at the game with. I was a pretty s**t kid.
First Port game: I have absolutely no idea. At some point in the late 90's or early 00's. Might have gone to a Magpie game or two possibly? (unlikely)
Footy/Club History in the family: I took up supporting Port Adelaide because my brother forced me into it via threats of physical violence. It worked pretty well. We've had distant family play here and there (like, really distant) and a majority of extended family are Adelaide supporters but in terms of immediate family, pretty sure going for anyone but PAFC = getting kicked out
Favourite Premiership: 2004 because its the only one I can actually remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back