European Super League/Expanded Champions League Format Discussion

Would you favour the idea of a New European super league as reported?

• Yes

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 82.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Or 17th vs the championship play off winner, leaving 3 automatic qualifying spots for the championship 4-7th play off to get to the playoff final. Don't Germany do something similar for their final relegation spot?

Or 17th vs the championship play off winner, leaving 3 automatic qualifying spots for the championship 4-7th play off to get to the playoff final. Don't Germany do something similar for their final relegation spot?

Don't think you can do that when the financial gulf is so great.

Last edited:

17th would go in favourite. But would be a pretty crazy game. Leeds vs. Notts Forrest would have been last seasons game

I misunderstood your suggestion. How would that work with 18-20 going down with only 2 potentially replacing them, or 17-20 going down and 3 replacing them?

I misunderstood your suggestion. How would that work with 18-20 going down with only 2 potentially replacing them, or 17-20 going down and 3 replacing them?
Nah I'd have the top 3 automatic promotion. With 18-20th going down

Then 4th-7th play-off like normal, with the winner of their play-off playing a one-off game against 17th

Booo! But if they do a superleague they need to do it properly... Give every team a chance to get to the top... None of this the top teams can't be relegated crap.

(I don't believe in the superleague)

A new superleague open to all clubs in the football pyramid with all the national associations on board is just the thing needed to rejuvenate European football. As long as it is open to everyone and there's a requirement to redirect commercial revenue to the lower tiers of the pyramids of each national football association there's no reason why super league can't thrive.

A new superleague open to all clubs in the football pyramid with all the national associations on board is just the thing needed to rejuvenate European football. As long as it is open to everyone and there's a requirement to redirect commercial revenue to the lower tiers of the pyramids of each national football association there's no reason why super league can't thrive.
Nah keep things as they are…just more unnecessary and excessive greed. England voted for Brexit so stick to your own league. How would what you suggested be workable? Teams starting in it would already have a huge advantage. How would promotion work? Too much football etc etc.

It’s all about clubs who simply believe can’t accept that they can’t qualify for big league ever year.

You’re a Pool fan right?

Nah keep things as they are…just more unnecessary and excessive greed. England voted for Brexit so stick to your own league. How would what you suggested be workable? Teams starting in it would already have a huge advantage. How would promotion work? Too much football etc etc.

It’s all about clubs who simply believe can’t accept that they can’t qualify for big league ever year.

You’re a Pool fan right?

You didnt read my post at all. I specifically stated that it only works if it is open to everyone in all levels of the football pyramid.

It will replace CL as the top European comp. So no different to now, merit based qualification.

If it is to happen this is what they need to do.

You didnt read my post at all. I specifically stated that it only works if it is open to everyone in all levels of the football pyramid.

It will replace CL as the top European comp. So no different to now, merit based qualification.
Ok so not closed ended, but aren’t you still proposing a league where teams leave their national comps? If so heck that. Be happy with 9th in national league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so not closed ended, but aren’t you still proposing a league where teams leave their national comps? If so * that. Be happy with 9th in national league

Nope. ESL just replaces UCL as the pinnacle of club football. Clubs still play in their national comps. UEFA are greedy *ers, a European comp not run by them would be most refreshing if done in the right way.

Nope. ESL just replaces UCL as the pinnacle of club football. Clubs still play in their national comps. UEFA are greedy *ers, a European comp not run by them would be most refreshing if done in the right way.

So if the CL introduced as you suggested "a requirement to redirect commercial revenue to the lower tiers of the pyramids of each national football association" then we simply make a change to CL. Why the need for ESL? If they ran a full season their national comp teams would be reserves team and would compromise the national league on a weekly basis as they add and drop players based on their ESL needs. Ridiculous idea. Your club becomes s**t you hope they rebuild not wish a fantasy Super Wank League. Surprising i'd thought you'd have more respect for football history.

So if the CL introduced as you suggested "a requirement to redirect commercial revenue to the lower tiers of the pyramids of each national football association" then we simply make a change to CL. Why the need for ESL? If they ran a full season their national comp teams would be reserves team and would compromise the national league on a weekly basis as they add and drop players based on their ESL needs. Ridiculous idea. Your club becomes s**t you hope they rebuild not wish a fantasy Super Wank League. Surprising i'd thought you'd have more respect for football history.

Why the need? UEFA are redirecting too much of the cash to themselves. If they reform CL into something similar to what I proposed then yes there's no need to change. In the past threats of super league usually resulted in changes to the CL structure. I suspect those at UEFA hq want to hang on to their personal gravy trains with regards to the CL.

Also, ESL isn't going to be a full season long comp if it were to go ahead. 10-12 games max per season. Again, if UEFA agree to such a format and pay more of their commercial / matchday income out as dividends to respective football associations to be redistributed amongst the lower tiers of the pyramid then ESL isn't needed. Not holding my breath though.

The Court has ruled that it’s illegal for FIFA or UEFA to impose sanctions on clubs or players that participate in “non approved” competitions.

The clubs can break away and form their own midweek league and there’s nothing that UEFA, FIFA or anybody else can do.

Decision hands significantly more power to the big clubs. Expect further concessions to them in the future.

The Court has ruled that it’s illegal for FIFA or UEFA to impose sanctions on clubs or players that participate in “non approved” competitions.

The clubs can break away and form their own midweek league and there’s nothing that UEFA, FIFA or anybody else can do.

Decision hands significantly more power to the big clubs. Expect further concessions to them in the future.

Fantastic, it's bad enough that UEFA bows to the whim of the big clubs already. This will make it worse. RIP Football (although it has been dead for years)

Back