Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I never carry around my passport, If it happened to me i'd just go to the station and waste their time. I've heard a photo copy on the phone is acceptable but I guess it's up to who wants to see your passport.

Using a Swiss travel pass people said when they check your pass you'll have to show them your passport but thankfully no one ever asked to see.

Only time I remember it happening to me was at Venice train station in 2019 where 4 police holding rifles were checking everyones passport while waiting for a train but they were fairly pleasant about it.

I really disagree om this point. its just we put up the bad news stories in well the news so everyone think it happens a lot here. It doesnt. These stories are used to justify the nanny state and because sometimes theres not much else for our news media to report on.

people get into drunken fights in europe and a lot worse all the time. They just dont bother talking about it in the news.
While I agree with your points here, talking from having lived in Italy for more than 5 years, I’ve never seen any violence here. I’m not out on the town that often, but physical altercations are not really seen as a solution to solving disputes. Of course things happen here, but being blind drunk is really shunned - whereas in Oz it’s a national past time.

While I agree with your points here, talking from having lived in Italy for more than 5 years, I’ve never seen any violence here. I’m not out on the town that often, but physical altercations are not really seen as a solution to solving disputes. Of course things happen here, but being blind drunk is really shunned - whereas in Oz it’s a national past time.
I agree with this. From living in France for 12 years. You still get agro, especially related to cars and driving.

Not all sailors are in the navy friend.

Forgive my lame attempt at humour.

What is it that you do? Yacht crew?
I deal with Superyachts, but I wouldn't call the crews Sailors, they're more like Hospitality staff, though Im sure many long to be at sea.

I supply stuff.

I deal with Superyachts, but I wouldn't call the crews Sailors, they're more like Hospitality staff, though Im sure many long to be at sea.

I supply stuff.
I was at Brindisi when the Heeus showed up. It had a small village running it lol

Had a significant stockpile of points built up across several airlines and pulled the trigger on a trip back to Europe for March and April next year. As per usual we will have a week in the UAE on the way over and fly into London where we will spend a week visiting the rellies and then have 5 weeks free in Europe before leaving from Paris near the end of April and having a week in Mauritius on the way home.
So now the fun begins planning something different as we have been to Europe dozens of times and I lived in the UK for a bit. At this stage I’m leaning towards a Havila cruise up the Norwegian peninsula and exploring more of Norway and Finland but if my wife wants to go somewhere warmer than I reckon Montenegro again could be on the cards

One thing I noticed this last time in Rome was the need to carry your passport with you at all times.

Police doing a lot more random checks. If you don’t have it with you it’s off to the police station to prove your identity.
It's all over Europe now, specially if you look indigenous like i do, it's almost every week. I travel a lot all over Europe, almost on a monthly basis and it happens to me everytime. I don't blame them as there are too many illegal migrants around.

Just last week i was asked for my passport while waiting for the subway in London. It happens a lot even in Bulgaria where i live. Funny, if i am with my wife (who is swedish), it almost never happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all over Europe now, specially if you look indigenous like i do, it's almost every week. I travel a lot all over Europe, almost on a monthly basis and it happens to me everytime. I don't blame them as there are too many illegal migrants around.

Just last week i was asked for my passport while waiting for the subway in London. It happens a lot even in Bulgaria where i live. Funny, if i am with my wife (who is swedish), it almost never happens.
Ive been here 12 years and not once asked for ID but I often see Arabics(Algerians, Moroccans so more North Africans really) and Africans getting asked on the street, so I can easily see that happening to you.. BTW my looks are obvious of European descent.

Do people still get blind drunk in aus? Back in the 90s yes. Dont really see it anymore.

Isnt drinking rates well down amongst the under 30 year olds?

pubs always seem empty now.

No sure where you're drinking, it's always rammed when I go out. Unsure on the stats but anecdotally I'd agree under 25s drink less than their predecessors.

Do people still get blind drunk in aus? Back in the 90s yes. Dont really see it anymore.

Absolutely. Australians have this weird notion of drinking that you only stop when you literally are unable to consume any more

Got burgled in Athens.. I knew I hated that place! Never again. Onwards to Munich.
Munich isn't a bad place and I'm flying into there next month but I didn't find it that interesting from a tourist perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back