Roast Essendon in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have loved to have seen the club trade both Parish and Draper when their values peaked but I’m not sure we’d get a good return on either right now.

Hindsight is 20 20. Speaking of which, can’t understand when we are desperate for run why we aren’t putting Nick Hind in the starting 22 ffs.
Didn't what Nick Hind did in the last quarter last week whilst running into an open goal give you more of an idea as to why he shouldn't be in the 22 + sub list?

Swans, Bulldogs and Cats made out like bandits. Others not so.
We got an AA player from the Bombers for our first rounder. Our other two much later picks both played last week, aren't stars but not bad role players (Durdin & Carroll). Good draft for us despite not having much capital.

Reading through this thread unsure why Zach Reid is catching so much heat? Every time he's fit he's looked like like an excellent prospect. Just had a shocking run with injuries.

Tsatas kicking is a real concern of mine. He reminds of Paddy Dow in the worst ways.

Over the years, people (players, supporters, and media personnel) blamed Essendon’s coaches for their form. Rutten, Worsfold, Thompson, Scott. All have received varying levels of blame. The common denominator though is the playing group. From what I’ve seen, Essendon’s biggest issue over the years stem from two particular things:

1. Lazy role players, and
2. On-field leadership that don’t want to take true accountability.
Not the “we have to make finals” drivel every year. I’m talking about times where you see players like Cotchin, Selwood, Bontempelli, Neale, Toby Greene, Gawn, and Pendlebury take responsibility for the scoreboard and step up. Who steps up for Essendon? No one. It’s almost as if they think it’s not their responsibility to step up because they’ve “done” their role.

For as long as these two things continue to plague the playing group, things will not change. No amount of coach changes is going to change that.

I know that they’ll “work hard” and “step up” for, like, 3-4 games, but that’s not enough to do damage in the season. You have to be prepared to do that in most games, and Essendon’s playing group culture just doesn’t seem to promote that. Players just don’t seem to have the drive for it

Bombers are mediocre personified, and have been in no mans land far longer than St Kilda.

Weren't Essendon like 6 and 2 last season before their decline? Like GC they also start fast and finish 8-12.
We were 4-4 after 8 games and peaked at 9-7 after round 17 where we 5th.

Last year was a bit different as we typically start poorly and finish the year alright to sneak in/just miss out on the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't Essendon like 6 and 2 last season before their decline? Like GC they also start fast and finish 8-12.
Our draw is much harder to start this year than last year, very surprised we are on the positive side of the ledger. Last year we had a very soft draw to open the season.
Besides Hawks everyone else we've played is a pretty respectable side that wouldn't surprise if they made the top 8 and Sydney/Port (possible top 4) and we've played both Adelaide teams in Adelaide.

If everything went right for the Bombers and the Brad Scott assisted umpiring continues, then a mid-table finish at best. 7th - 11th.

Most rational Bombers fans would know that, but most bombers fans aren't rational.

Beating Hawks, Crows, St Kilda, Dogs = mediocre
Beating Hawks, Crows, St Kilda, Dogs and North = flag favs.
We're currently in a rebuild after winning shedloads of silverware over a decade and a half, no one is under the illusion that we're flag favourites.

If everything went right for the Bombers and the Brad Scott assisted umpiring continues, then a mid-table finish at best. 7th - 11th.

Most rational Bombers fans would know that, but most bombers fans aren't rational.
the group think is not Essendon fans. The group think from oppo fans seems to be adopted as the Essendon fans group think

Our draw is much harder to start this year than last year, very surprised we are on the positive side of the ledger. Last year we had a very soft draw to open the season.
Besides Hawks everyone else we've played is a pretty respectable side that wouldn't surprise if they made the top 8 and Sydney/Port (possible top 4) and we've played both Adelaide teams in Adelaide.
pre-season ladder predictor I had Dons at 2-8 after ten rounds. They’re not going to win the flag obviously and might sneak into the eight for the inevitable EF loss but currently doing better than expected.

pre-season ladder predictor I had Dons at 2-8 after ten rounds. They’re not going to win the flag obviously and might sneak into the eight for the inevitable EF loss but currently doing better than expected.
you forgot to put your alternative account on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back