Roast Essendon in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they might be botching the rebuild. The cattle hasn't come on as expected. Now their handful of good players will age out before the next crop come through. Some of which aren't even at the club yet. May win a final in the next few years but won't win a flag for atleast 10
Should've traded parish IMO, or just let him go all together and gotten a decent compensation pick as a result.

You can't have a player like that who refuses to chase, refuses to tackle, and refuses to play defensive at stoppages when he's supposed to be setting the example for the youngsters.

Merrett on the other hand has been super in that area. It takes no talent to offer something defensively, it's just coaching and attitude...and yet he refuses to do it.

You can get away with it when you're a Dusty, Danger or Petracca who's going to smash the opposition, kick goals, and be involved in scoring chains.

It's pretty hard to justify it when you're a sideways accumulator, who seems more worried about his own numbers than the success of the team.

Should've traded parish IMO, or just let him go all together and gotten a decent compensation pick as a result.

You can't have a player like that who refuses to chase, refuses to tackle, and refuses to play defensive at stoppages when he's supposed to be setting the example for the youngsters.

Merrett on the other hand has been super in that area. It takes no talent to offer something defensively, it's just coaching and attitude...and yet he refuses to do it.

You can get away with it when you're a Dusty, Danger or Petracca who's going to smash the opposition, kick goals, and be involved in scoring chains.

It's pretty hard to justify it when you're
a sideways accumulator, who seems more worried about his own numbers than the success of the team.

I would have loved to have seen the club trade both Parish and Draper when their values peaked but I’m not sure we’d get a good return on either right now.

Hindsight is 20 20. Speaking of which, can’t understand when we are desperate for run why we aren’t putting Nick Hind in the starting 22 ffs.

It has already begun. They're beginning to white ant Brad to make way for Hirdy. Never change Essendon.

Lloyd is anti-Hird as a coach though. Was very much against it when Scott was appointed.

Don't think Scott was the right appointment whatsoever but the issues at Essendon go far beyond the head coach. Need a total cleanout of senior club people who have been there longer than 5 years.

Lloyd is anti-Hird as a coach though. Was very much against it when Scott was appointed.

Don't think Scott was the right appointment whatsoever but the issues at Essendon go far beyond the head coach. Need a total cleanout of senior club people who have been there longer than 5 years.
And that’s the issue right there - there’s obviously a group of people who are more important than the club itself (for whatever reason), and club success comes second to catering to / protecting those individuals. I’m in a work environment which is an exact replica (and let’s just say the results are not pretty….)

As an Essendon fan my recent negatives are:

- inability to implement game plan (You think we’d be trying anything to not be one of the worst at preventing transition from d50 each year)

- Basic list management issues; Heppell why is he still playing, Jayden Laverde signed a 3 year deal last season, Parish deal and letting Massimo go were all obviously bad at the time.

Recent positives:

- Perkins and Durham look like they have what it takes to be long term midfielders with size and athleticism. It was extremely unknown how’d they go

- Think getting Gresham, Mckay and Duursma made plenty of sense given we apparently have oodles of cap space.

That's the interesting thing. These sides all had their chance and are too willing to blame the fates, or the rules for their stuff-ups.

When the media and draft experts are uniform in suggesting you should draft Tanner Bruhn and Ollie Henry in 2020, don't blame covid for not picking them.
lol citation needed captain hindsight.

Also lmao @ acting like Tanner ****ing Bruhn was the fix compared Perkins, Hobbs and Tsatas..... and Henry would've pissed off anyway since a 30 minute drive from mum is too far and he needed to move closer to home. Dude left a side on the verge of winning a premiership, as if he wasn't going to do the same to ****ing Essendon.

I actually reckon Essendon will be ok if they ignore the outside noise and can develop this group. That's easier said than done though.

I completely get the recruitment of McKay but Gresham and Duursma both look a bit short sighted. I just think they're limited players who will block good kids improving.

But if they get Ridley back and get games into Cox, Reid, Perkins, Hobbs, Martin, Davey, Tsatas, etc they could be a very good team in 2026.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol citation needed captain hindsight.

Also lmao @ acting like Tanner ******* Bruhn was the fix compared Perkins, Hobbs and Tsatas..... and Henry would've pissed off anyway since a 30 minute drive from mum is too far and he needed to move closer to home. Dude left a side on the verge of winning a premiership, as if he wasn't going to do the same to ******* Essendon.
It's not hindsight.

His point was you can't say "Oh well, it was the Covid draft, what hope did we have?" when other sides clearly didn't have those issues.

Bruhn, Henry, Powell, Pedlar, Holmes, Bowey, & Chapman were all taken after Cox & Reid, and that's only in the next 10-12 picks.

There's no problem with picking duds. It's happened 1000 times, and it'll happen 1000 times more...but own it, don't act like it's a Covid issue when that wasn't the problem for everybody else.

It's not hindsight.

His point was you can't say "Oh well, it was the Covid draft, what hope did we have?" when other sides clearly didn't have those issues.

Bruhn, Henry, Powell, Pedlar, Holmes, Bowey, & Chapman were all taken after Cox & Reid, and that's only in the next 10-12 picks.

There's no problem with picking duds. It's happened 1000 times, and it'll happen 1000 times more...but own it, don't act like it's a Covid issue when that wasn't the problem for everybody else.

I think you're underestimating those picks. Perkins looks good. Reid and Cox have shown plenty when fit. Cox just looks bereft of confidence at the moment. These aren't Will Phillips or DGB who have shown almost nothing despite having a decent run at it

Henry would've left. Bruhn and Perkins look comparable quality. Holmes would've been a great get but was an all time reach at pick 20 let alone in the top 10.

Purely from a talent perspective those 3 look in the top 6-8 of those left on the board and none of them look out of place. The question is whether they can develop them into stars.

Merret was speaking about the club and playing finals in some interview and said something like "we want to get back to where we deserve to be". I thought, you are where you deserve to be. All clubs are. Maybe he mis-spoke but I'm not sure the Bombers as a club have the right mindset yet to improve. Being up top is a right for them not something that must be earned.

Merret was speaking about the club and playing finals in some interview and said something like "we want to get back to where we deserve to be". I thought, you are where you deserve to be. All clubs are. Maybe he mis-spoke but I'm not sure the Bombers as a club have the right mindset yet to improve. Being up top is a right for them not something that must be earned.
Poor bloke does deserve it, he has a bunch of spuds around him

It's not hindsight.

Most sides had those issues. The 2020 draft will be one of the worst we've seen

More silly comments just to attract attention.

Lloyd needs to stop hanging around with Kane Cornes

He's actually an idiot. I don't think I've ever heard him say something about us that is a good move. Always reactionary, always putting on unnecessary pressure. We are barely a year into a long slow process if done right and he's whipping up the masses already.

2020 was an awesome draft

No it wasn't. Pick the 5 best players after 20. It's Gulden a star and then McInnes with upside and big potential, which doesn't help anyone other than Sydney/Pies and a bunch of honest battlers. Bowey, O'Driscoll, Berry, McCreery are the next best prospects. Only one of them likely to get a game this weekend.

No it wasn't. Pick the 5 best players after 20. It's Gulden a star and then McInnes with upside and big potential, which doesn't help anyone other than Sydney/Pies and a bunch of honest battlers. Bowey, O'Driscoll, Berry, McCreery are the next best prospects. Only one of them likely to get a game this weekend.
I don't care about anyone but the Swans 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back