Ellinbank vs KWR

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to splashing around in the mud v Nilma Darnum this week.[/quote]

We could always swap grounds this weekend mate our ground is in good condition considering the rain ;). How is the Goon ground looking? The last couple of seasons its hasnt held up to well after a bit of rain.

Our ground looks great when you drive in but it's still quite heavy in patches and then perfectly fine in others. Considering how bad it was a couple of weeks back it's ok. Today's weather should help too!

Hopefully Neerim can knock off the Dusties this week and open the race for top 2 spots right up. Thoughts?

You guys get to play Dusties, Cora Lynn and NNS before the end of the season. If you win all these you should finish top 2, if you miss out by 2 points its very unfortunate.

I can't see Dusties and Cora Lynn going undefeated for the rest of the season. Dusties are very beatable.

Dusties always struggle in the wet as Goodie said, they struggle on heavy grounds for some reason but come finals time they should be in alot better shape then the last 2 years. Still my pick for the flag atm.

Dusties always struggle in the wet as Goodie said, they struggle on heavy grounds for some reason but come finals time they should be in alot better shape then the last 2 years. Still my pick for the flag atm.

They had quite a few bigger bodies than us on the weekend... I thought that would suit the wet conditions.

Throw a blanket over the top 5- Thats my tip for the flag.

No doubt the league shouldn't have taken LL's word that the ground was unsafe, but the league made the decision and you can't take the 2 points off LL, not because they'd care, but because it would set a precedent.

If the league calls off a game, it's 2 points each. Full Stop.

Whether they called it off correctly or not is another matter and processes should be in place such that if a team says a ground is unplayable, at least one rep from the league should confirm that on-site before the league calls off the game (the umps can do this on game day, can they not?)

Any fault lies with the league process, doesn't mean you can take the points away from a team.

The precedent would mean that if an ump/ league rep calls off a game, the clubs involved could spend days trying to get the points awarded to themselves by disputing the reasons fo rthe game to be called off.

It was an unfortunate event (for the people of Lang Lang more than the players/supporters of NNG). Ensure the process is in place for next time.

You guys get to play Dusties, Cora Lynn and NNS before the end of the season. If you win all these you should finish top 2, if you miss out by 2 points its very unfortunate.

I can't see Dusties and Cora Lynn going undefeated for the rest of the season. Dusties are very beatable.

Just having a look at the draw Bunyip has Ell, Bye, ND, KWR, LL, Dusties, Nyora, and Longwarry. They have one tough match left so if they dont choke against any of those teams, thats my tip to finish top.

I can't be bothered giving a full reply but well said Mayhem, Willo and Robbo.

Saint Leo, you're a knob mate. You just don't get it.

Langy called the game off when the ground was playable and access to the ground was available. Why did they do that? Nothing to do with missing a few key players this week was it? The league didn't inspect the ground before agreeing to cancel the game and awarding 2 points each. They then inspected the ground on the Saturday and it was fine to play on. Lang Lang and the league are at fault, not NNG so why should they be penalised? Either a re-schedule of the game or 4 points to NNG would've been the fair result.

Thanks Tumble,

No where in anyones posts did they say that LL was the only ones that inspected the ground, they said LL and the league called the game off!!! From that I assumed that the league has inspected the ground on Friday.

Its happened now and its the leagues fault for not checking the ground, they called the game off so 2 points each is the only possible outcome.

I can think many other possible outcomes. That's just your opinion on what the outcome should've been.

It's also Lang Lang's fault for ringing the league to cancel a game that could definitely have played. Forfeit.

I can think many other possible outcomes. That's just your opinion on what the outcome should've been.

It's also Lang Lang's fault for ringing the league to cancel a game that could definitely have played. Forfeit.

Many Outcomes?? There are only 2, its a draw or you get the points. What other outcomes can there be?

I think thats everyones opinion apart from NNGs.

Oh is that right is it. I take it then you've run a poll on this throughout the competition have you? Held a forum with all league presidents or delegates to get their opinons? Spoken to everyone associated within the competition with an impartial view on the matter?

Other outcomes? Award the points to NNG or reschedule the game, that'll do! I'm sure Lang Lang could have been at least fined or not been given their share of the points even if NNG were to cop the raw end of the stick like they have. So there's another 4 possible outcomes. I'm sure I could think of more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cos you have an impartial view do you? I said I "think" going on the dozen or so impartial people who I have heard from about the issue either.

Reschedule the game when?? Midweek or extend the season another week?

Fining Lang Lang wouldn't change the outcome either.

You get 2 points or 4 points, thats it!

I trained last night and Lang Lang's ground has held up unbelievably considering all the rain. It's the best I've ever seen the ground at this time of the year. Still very firm under foot. Probably a blessing there were no games held on it this week and it didn't get chopped up.

Not when they called the game off but there was by Saturday morning Snoop. Would have been good if Lang Lang forfeited that way more chance of players qualifying for the twos finals.

With all the finger pointing from NNG towards Lang Lang i would be more pissed off if i were a NNG player towards my club, president and coach for the game being canceled. Thursday evening and all day Friday there were reports all over the TV and radio that there was mass floodings in the KWR-LL area with access to parts of these areas denied. I find it staggering that NO ONE from NNG called the leauge or Lang Lang to get an update or arrange a ground inspection. They waited until the league rang them at 5pm on Friday night, and then went there on the Saturday.

Not when they called the game off but there was by Saturday morning Snoop. Would have been good if Lang Lang forfeited that way more chance of players qualifying for the twos finals.

So when it was called off friday arvo it wasnt possible to get to Lang Lang. I reckon that is a fair enough call seeing as it was expected to keep raining. Fairly sure there would be Lang Lang players that lived in KWR that would have struggled to be able to get to the game.
Im fairly sure rescheduling a game to a sunday with one day notice wouldnt have been the right thing to do

With all the finger pointing from NNG towards Lang Lang i would be more pissed off if i were a NNG player towards my club, president and coach for the game being canceled. Thursday evening and all day Friday there were reports all over the TV and radio that there was mass floodings in the KWR-LL area with access to parts of these areas denied. I find it staggering that NO ONE from NNG called the leauge or Lang Lang to get an update or arrange a ground inspection. They waited until the league rang them at 5pm on Friday night, and then went there on the Saturday.

I spoke to Daryl Adams (NNG Selector) who was standing in the middle of the Lang Lang ground at 1pm on Friday. Almost every week either him or myself check out the ground we're playing at that week on the Friday. He said that it was as good as he could remember seeing it and he felt there was no cause for concern. At that time the ground hadn't been marked...funnily enough it had been when we turned up the next day. At 5pm Patrick Noonan was told by the Lang Lang President that the Seniors and Reserves were still on and he'd catch him tomorrow. An hour later the game was off!!

There is some fabrication and altering of stories going on to cover up what was a complete balls up...mostly by the EDFL.
I couldn't care less about the 2 points anymore but I won't have our club criticised for anything in this situation.

In the article in the gazette this week the EDFL stated the decision was made due to a combination of factors such as access to the ground, the playing surface and the safety of those attending.

However on saturday arvo in 2 separate conversations had by members of the league executive they said they felt they had been mislead by Lang Lang, that the ground was fine and games should have gone ahead. The first conversation was when the league president and our president inspected the ground and the other while a league official was watching his son play for Noble Park.

Obviously the time between Saturday afternoon and the exec meeting on Monday night was enough for them to alter their stories, cover up and make it sound like they were doing everyone a favor.

Thanks Clint, The above discription gives a lot more detail than your original post.

Was there any access to the Lang Lang township at the time they decided to call the game off?
Not much. I was working in LL friday and i can tell you it was crazy. The biggest problem was the lack of information available. Vicroads, SES and news sites all had conflicting information. I can also tell you the water kept rising throughout friday and more roads were closing by the hour.

To get home (pakenham) i had to drive from Lang Lang to Korumburra then to Warragul. Some of the info we got was a possible 4pm peak, others said a saturday morning peak. The town at times was gridlocked as lost and confused drivers had no idea where to go and everyone seemed to need a 5 minute talk with the SES, slowing down things more.

I don't know if the ground was playable or not and if that's the reason they gave to call it off it was a wrong one. Plenty of people were stranded and again no one could tell us for sure when the water would drop. Decisions like this need to be made with as much notice as possible. Not everyone is on facebook, not everyone knows a back way and i repeat some people were geniunely stranded.

Not much. I was working in LL friday and i can tell you it was crazy. The biggest problem was the lack of information available. Vicroads, SES and news sites all had conflicting information. I can also tell you the water kept rising throughout friday and more roads were closing by the hour.

To get home (pakenham) i had to drive from Lang Lang to Korumburra then to Warragul. Some of the info we got was a possible 4pm peak, others said a saturday morning peak. The town at times was gridlocked as lost and confused drivers had no idea where to go and everyone seemed to need a 5 minute talk with the SES, slowing down things more.

I don't know if the ground was playable or not and if that's the reason they gave to call it off it was a wrong one. Plenty of people were stranded and again no one could tell us for sure when the water would drop. Decisions like this need to be made with as much notice as possible. Not everyone is on facebook, not everyone knows a back way and i repeat some people were geniunely stranded.

No worries speedy tiger. Than if that was the case and I feel for those who were directly involved and effected by the situation, than why on earth wouldnt LL officials give that excuse to cancel the game. Rather than spin some bullocks about the unplayable nature of the ground.

NNG will never get the 2 points back, and by all reports, they have moved on....However, an investigation still needs to happen. Focusing on:

1) LL's reason to tell league officials the ground was unplayable on the Friday night when Darryl Adams was walking on the ground at 1pm Friday arvo and has never seen the ground in better knick. (Darryl Adams also has 40 years involvement in both Ellinbank and West Gippy FL).

2) EDFL executives. Professionalism and intergrity definately wasn't there. Surely the VCFL cannot take the executives word that they dealt with the situation the best they could, without hearing all parties stories.

For the benefit of the Ellinbank Football League, some sort of action still needs to happen so all parties can move on from this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back