Ellinbank vs KWR

Remove this Banner Ad

just read on facebook that apparently lang lang Vs NNG has also been aborted????

could the whole round been cancelled?

Was the LL ground under water or was it access to the town why they called it of?

I heard NNG wasnt too happy with the result and think they should get the 4 points.

No access to the ground Leo. All roads into the town were closed.

KWR had both no access and the oval was flooded.

Will be interesting to see if it costs NNG a top 2 spot.

Why did they not just change it to a NNG/Ellinbank home game? Give LL/KWR the gate and bar, keep them happy and atleast NNG/ELLIN/KWR/LL get to actually play for the 4 points. It would be alot more fairer than cancelling it and awarding 2 points each way.

They cant surely award NNG 4 points based on them having the game pencilled in with a W.

By all reports that i have heard, the game was called off Friday night, around 5.30pm, due to the unsafe condition of the ground. LL and League officials made the call to call the game off, without discussions with goon officials. Way to quick of a call to make on Friday night, should of waited till Sat morning. There was so many other options that were not discussed. (switch venue's/sunday game). Also, the ground was completely playable, better knick than goons ground atm. It was checked out and walked on by goon officials both on Friday and Saturday morning, also by League Pres Saturday arvo. Goon are not happy and have every right to be pissed off in my opinion. Goon should be recieving the 4 points across the board. Just my opinion.

If the league officials were involved in calling the game off I highly doubt NNG will receive the 4 points.

Doesn't really bother me as Lang Lang are not going to make the finals any way but there is no way they should be receiving the 4 points punchbuggy. Should Ellinbank also be receiving the 4 points or just NNG? The match was called off due to a freak event and I don't think you can just hand NNG the 4 points because it was a game they were most likely going to win.

It's my understanding Surkin after talking to some of the goon boys, that only a couple of league officials were involved in the decision Friday night and when they heard the word "unsafe" (regarding the grounds surface), from the LL officials, instantly they call it off. The mistake from the league was to not physically go out there and see the state of the ground. If they did, the game would of still been on. And it was accessable wasn't???

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was accessible by Saturday. Like you say they probably should of waited until Saturday but by that stage if it does get called off it gets pretty hard to get the message out to everyone.

Hopefully it doesn't make a difference come the end of the season.

Just thought I'd come on and clarify what happened (from Nar Nar Goons perspective) and where its at now.

At 5pm I spoke with Patrick Noonan to clarify if our game was going ahead because like everyone else I had heard that there were issues getting to the Kooweerup, Lang Lang area. At that time he told me that the game was definitely still on and that he had just spoken to the Lang Lang president who had confirmed this. We were aware that the South Gippy Hwy was out of action but had been told we could still get to the ground other ways.

I spoke to Patrick again at 6pm when he told me that the game had been called off. NNG hadn't been consulted at all other than to tell us that the game had been cancelled and we'd be sharing the points. At the time I was under the impression the game had been called off because we wouldn't be able to get to the ground. From my perspective, the fact that this decision had been made at that time was unacceptable as I feel that we could have and should have waited until morning before pulling the pin. Moving the game to NNG or Sunday would have also been better alternatives than sharing points.

By Saturday morning I found out that the game had been called off due to the state of the playing surface and NOT access to the town, which I found astonishing since Daryl Adams had walked the ground on Friday and then Patrick along with Daryl again did the same early Saturday morning. Around lunch time Tess Noonan and Roger Gwynne also inspected the ground. All agreed that there was nothing wrong with it. I also walked the ground myself Saturday afternoon and the fact that we weren't playing footy is an absolute joke.

I sympathize with everyone affected by these floods and understand that maybe on Friday night footy was the furthest thing from some peoples minds. But there should have been a game at Lang Lang on Saturday and it was a poor decision by Lang Lang to ask to call the game off and an even worse one by the league to accept that decision without inspecting the ground with all parties involved.

Our displeasure has nothing to do with the fact that this was maybe a game we should have won. I would very much feel the same if it was Cora Lynn or Warragul that we were scheduled to play.

There is a meeting on tonight to discuss what is going to happen and we certainly feel this should be a forfeit and be awarded all match points. I don't expect much support from you guys from other clubs but thats what happened anyway......Cheers

I think te sensible decision to call it off was the right one. Changing venues would have been too late.

Sat morning is too late considering juniors start at 9am. If there was more rain Friday night you don't want people driving through floods to get to a game of footy, it's far too dangerous.

I think te sensible decision to call it off was the right one. Changing venues would have been too late.

Sat morning is too late considering juniors start at 9am. If there was more rain Friday night you don't want people driving through floods to get to a game of footy, it's far too dangerous.

The juniors had already been cancelled. Lang Lang don't field 3rds and I guess it was probably decided that it's no big deal if a 4ths and 5ths game is lost. In this day and age it is not at all difficult to get notification out to people at short notice and Sunday should have been considered as an option.

Either way it doesn't matter....The meeting is done and dusted and sounds like the result will stay as is. As a team we'll move on straight away and look forward to the rest of the season but it wasn't "the sensible decision" and has been handled with total incompetence by the EDFL which unfortunately seems to be the way most things are done.

Looking forward to splashing around in the mud v Nilma Darnum this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just thought I'd come on and clarify what happened (from Nar Nar Goons perspective) and where its at now.

At 5pm I spoke with Patrick Noonan to clarify if our game was going ahead because like everyone else I had heard that there were issues getting to the Kooweerup, Lang Lang area. At that time he told me that the game was definitely still on and that he had just spoken to the Lang Lang president who had confirmed this. We were aware that the South Gippy Hwy was out of action but had been told we could still get to the ground other ways.

I spoke to Patrick again at 6pm when he told me that the game had been called off. NNG hadn't been consulted at all other than to tell us that the game had been cancelled and we'd be sharing the points. At the time I was under the impression the game had been called off because we wouldn't be able to get to the ground. From my perspective, the fact that this decision had been made at that time was unacceptable as I feel that we could have and should have waited until morning before pulling the pin. Moving the game to NNG or Sunday would have also been better alternatives than sharing points.

By Saturday morning I found out that the game had been called off due to the state of the playing surface and NOT access to the town, which I found astonishing since Daryl Adams had walked the ground on Friday and then Patrick along with Daryl again did the same early Saturday morning. Around lunch time Tess Noonan and Roger Gwynne also inspected the ground. All agreed that there was nothing wrong with it. I also walked the ground myself Saturday afternoon and the fact that we weren't playing footy is an absolute joke.

I sympathize with everyone affected by these floods and understand that maybe on Friday night footy was the furthest thing from some peoples minds. But there should have been a game at Lang Lang on Saturday and it was a poor decision by Lang Lang to ask to call the game off and an even worse one by the league to accept that decision without inspecting the ground with all parties involved.

Our displeasure has nothing to do with the fact that this was maybe a game we should have won. I would very much feel the same if it was Cora Lynn or Warragul that we were scheduled to play.

There is a meeting on tonight to discuss what is going to happen and we certainly feel this should be a forfeit and be awarded all match points. I don't expect much support from you guys from other clubs but thats what happened anyway......Cheers

- Its a joke they couldn't organise a change of venues for 2 games of footy!

If its easy enough for those involved to make a few calls and cancel the game, its just as easy to make a few calls and shift venue.

Simple question should have been asked to all 4 presidents/coaches on Friday night/sat morning...Do you want to change venues and play footy or cancel and split the points?...

Sounds like this was a bit of a balls up in how things were handled but saying the league is "incompetent' is a by harsh.

If the league was involved in the decision than its a draw not a forfeit whether is was the right or wrong decision.

Sounds like this was a bit of a balls up in how things were handled but saying the league is "incompetent' is a by harsh.

If the league was involved in the decision than its a draw not a forfeit whether is was the right or wrong decision.

I thought his comment was fair. I would be annoyed if my club had a decision made for them without being given other options eg- Sunday game or venue swap..

I thought his comment was fair. I would be annoyed if my club had a decision made for them without being given other options eg- Sunday game or venue swap..

The league exec are appointed to make these decisions, if it was upto the 2 clubs involved to make decisions then no one would agree. Probably wasnt handled the best way by the sounds of it but if the league cancels the game then its a draw, not sure how you can argue any other way.

The league exec are appointed to make these decisions, if it was upto the 2 clubs involved to make decisions then no one would agree. Probably wasnt handled the best way by the sounds of it but if the league cancels the game then its a draw, not sure how you can argue any other way.

If it was up to the 2 clubs involved we all know what the answer would have been... Lets play a game of footy this weekend somehow or somewhere!

I think you missed my point... My comment was purely based on how other options were not considered. Cancelling a game would be 3rd on the list behind 1)Change venues 2) Play Sunday.

Not sure where or when I argued 2 points each way wasnt fair....?

Doesnt affect our club, so it doesnt worry me whatever decision was made. But I see where Willo is coming from....

OK i should have said I am not sure how NNG could argue anything other than 2 points each.

From the sound of things NNG were implying that they wanted to play the game and LL didnt. Did someone from the league look at the ground on friday?

No one from the league looked at the ground on Friday. Which is why this situation needs to be revisited. You cannot make a decision (to split points, and potentially ruined a clubs chances of top 2), purely based on what LL said on that Fri night. If they had of, the game would of been played either Satdy, or Sunday. Nothing wrong with the surface! Sounds bloody shifty to me! I am sure the league could of thought outside the square for once and got that done...or could they??

LL v NNG still on.....
:thumbsu:

its a very tough one, the way i see it, there would be players supporters and volunteers from LL that possibly would not of been able to get to the games, if they were flooded in?
it brings back memories of black Saturday when cricket was going to go ahead, when numerous players of ours, as well as our ground (jindivick) were under direct threat of fire as early as 9am. We were happy to forfeit the round as player safety and welfare of persons and property is far more important than running around having a hit. where do you draw the line?
at the end of the day we are playing country footy and unfortunately these things are bound to happen from time to time.
i cant see any other option being a sensible one to achieve an outcome for all clubs involved. moving games on a friday night would be a nightmare but only receiving two points could really hurt come finals time.
Can you simply move a game to a sunday how many players supporters and volunteers would have to re-jig their whole weekend? would be OK for well paid footballers but blokes that play for the love it would have to cancel parties, dinners and Sunday plans?
If a number of games are cancelled due to a situation like this does the whole round get abandoned? but how many games would have to be affected?, again one weekend where 1,2,3,4 or 5 abandoned games could easily affect the final ladder.
I also feel that because its not the clubs wrong doing, a forfeit might be a bit harsh. If the ground was "unsafe" because of poor maintenance, then the away side should be awarded the 4 points. But what happens if someone does burnouts on the ground on a friday night and destroys it with unsafe wheel ruts etc whose fault is that????
Their are a million scenarios that could affect games of footy personally i reckon a draw in this instance is fair on face value. was it handled correctly? probably could be done better in the future.

OK i should have said I am not sure how NNG could argue anything other than 2 points each.

From the sound of things NNG were implying that they wanted to play the game and LL didnt. Did someone from the league look at the ground on friday?

Have you read all of these posts in their entirety??? Basically the NNG arguement is based around the fact that LL officials told the league that the ground was unplayable when in fact it wasn't, nor had NNG had the opportunity to give any input on whether they felt the ground was playable. The league have then taken that info and cancelled the game. The recommendations were that the league, together with the 2 sides all go to the ground together on Friday night/Saturday morning and make a decision as to whether the ground was playable, rather than LL officials making a phone call to league officials and saying, sorry, can't play, and then the league taking their word for it and calling the game off.

With only seniors and reserves to play (as there are no LL 3rds and the lower ages were already called off), it would have been quite straightforward to make a decision early Saturday morning and then inform all parties. Would only need to make a decision by 9am to ensure that everyone is informed by 9:30 (via Facebook, group text, many other means), as surely no one would need to leave home earlier than 10am to be able to be at LL by 11 for a 12 start?

Everyone has already prepared to play/officiate/volunteer on the Saturday, so it is not like informing them on Saturday morning stuffs up there day, as they expect to be going to football on Saturday. If they then get a phone call at 9:30 - 10 to say that they don't have to come, they can then go watch other local footy, or have the day to themselves.

All this assumes that the ground was playable on Saturday, lets say for a second that it wasn't, then surely the ground could have been looked at on Saturday and the game scheduled for Sunday. At the end of the day, people want to play football, and for the sides with finals aspirations, this could have big consequences, through no fault of their own.

:thumbsu:

its a very tough one, the way i see it, there would be players supporters and volunteers from LL that possibly would not of been able to get to the games, if they were flooded in?
it brings back memories of black Saturday when cricket was going to go ahead, when numerous players of ours, as well as our ground (jindivick) were under direct threat of fire as early as 9am. We were happy to forfeit the round as player safety and welfare of persons and property is far more important than running around having a hit. where do you draw the line?
at the end of the day we are playing country footy and unfortunately these things are bound to happen from time to time.
i cant see any other option being a sensible one to achieve an outcome for all clubs involved. moving games on a friday night would be a nightmare but only receiving two points could really hurt come finals time.
Can you simply move a game to a sunday how many players supporters and volunteers would have to re-jig their whole weekend? would be OK for well paid footballers but blokes that play for the love it would have to cancel parties, dinners and Sunday plans?
If a number of games are cancelled due to a situation like this does the whole round get abandoned? but how many games would have to be affected?, again one weekend where 1,2,3,4 or 5 abandoned games could easily affect the final ladder.
I also feel that because its not the clubs wrong doing, a forfeit might be a bit harsh. If the ground was "unsafe" because of poor maintenance, then the away side should be awarded the 4 points. But what happens if someone does burnouts on the ground on a friday night and destroys it with unsafe wheel ruts etc whose fault is that????
Their are a million scenarios that could affect games of footy personally i reckon a draw in this instance is fair on face value. was it handled correctly? probably could be done better in the future.

Best post on the situation.

Have you read all of these posts in their entirety??? Basically the NNG arguement is based around the fact that LL officials told the league that the ground was unplayable when in fact it wasn't, nor had NNG had the opportunity to give any input on whether they felt the ground was playable. The league have then taken that info and cancelled the game. The recommendations were that the league, together with the 2 sides all go to the ground together on Friday night/Saturday morning and make a decision as to whether the ground was playable, rather than LL officials making a phone call to league officials and saying, sorry, can't play, and then the league taking their word for it and calling the game off.

With only seniors and reserves to play (as there are no LL 3rds and the lower ages were already called off), it would have been quite straightforward to make a decision early Saturday morning and then inform all parties. Would only need to make a decision by 9am to ensure that everyone is informed by 9:30 (via Facebook, group text, many other means), as surely no one would need to leave home earlier than 10am to be able to be at LL by 11 for a 12 start?

Everyone has already prepared to play/officiate/volunteer on the Saturday, so it is not like informing them on Saturday morning stuffs up there day, as they expect to be going to football on Saturday. If they then get a phone call at 9:30 - 10 to say that they don't have to come, they can then go watch other local footy, or have the day to themselves.

All this assumes that the ground was playable on Saturday, lets say for a second that it wasn't, then surely the ground could have been looked at on Saturday and the game scheduled for Sunday. At the end of the day, people want to play football, and for the sides with finals aspirations, this could have big consequences, through no fault of their own.

Spot on mayhem. Our issue all along has been the way it's been handled. Had it been handled in the correct manner, we feel the game would have ended up going ahead. It also would have been much easier to accept the decision if it didn't go our way, had attempts been made for all parties to take part in the decision.

Anyway, we've accepted it now and will move on.

Hopefully Neerim can knock off the Dusties this week and open the race for top 2 spots right up. Thoughts?

Spot on mayhem. Our issue all along has been the way it's been handled. Had it been handled in the correct manner, we feel the game would have ended up going ahead. It also would have been much easier to accept the decision if it didn't go our way, had attempts been made for all parties to take part in the decision.

Anyway, we've accepted it now and will move on.

Hopefully Neerim can knock off the Dusties this week and open the race for top 2 spots right up. Thoughts?
if it is wet weather football dusties can possibly be beaten by a few sides, it has been an issue for a couple of years at tarwin st, just cant seem to get it right on wet days.
If it is dry dusties to win easily is my tip if it is wet out at neerim i expect the cats to be a big show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back