East Gippsland Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Lakes have finally found a coach Rod Bills is the guy dont know alot about him but is non playing apparently played and coach orbost in the 90's to a flag but again its non playing coach i would have thought lakes if they are to improve they need some decent players to add to the list i hear they are going to lose a couple of big name players into the redlegs .
The club also has a new president who has only been at the club a couple of years i hear. And from a couple of people from inside the club the new president may rub alot the wrong way and he may just find himself holding the candle. gotta love the silly season guys.

Lakes have finally found a coach Rod Bills is the guy dont know alot about him but is non playing apparently played and coach orbost in the 90's to a flag but again its non playing coach i would have thought lakes if they are to improve they need some decent players to add to the list i hear they are going to lose a couple of big name players into the redlegs .
The club also has a new president who has only been at the club a couple of years i hear. And from a couple of people from inside the club the new president may rub alot the wrong way and he may just find himself holding the candle. gotta love the silly season guys.

Candles produce light!

My understanding is Rod Bills played footy at Lakes for several years including the '88 flag before heading into Bairnsdale to play in the major league in the 90's. He might have played a couple of seasons back at Lakes then took up the coaching gig at Orbost and won that flag you speak of. May have won the flag there the year after as a player too. From what I hear, he was a very reasonable footballer in his own right with a good knowledge of the game.

A non playing coach might be exactly what Lakes need with such a young group of players. Bairnsdale have gone that way, Lindenow and Wy Yung both went that way with success. Maffra have gone that way again. Moe look to have gone that way. Boisdale, Rosedale, the list goes on. There is a movement in country footy circles now to appoint the best 'coach' available for the club and not necessarily the best player available and make them coach.

If you hadn't heard of Rod Bills, I gather you don't know too much about East Gippsland Footy or the Lakes Footy Club in general. Perhaps your 'insiders' should have given you a little more info.

Candles do make light Mayhem! Go hard or go home!

I couldn't agree with you more rampage!

Coaches are paid to coach, not to play. Too many clubs and playing coaches use it as a way of justifying themselves to pay or receive more money. If they can play and coach well that's a massive bonus!

Hopefully people wake up to the fact that football has changed and with it so have the demands of players and coaches alike. Unfortunately the mentality at some clubs won't!

Don't know of too many that would have a huge problem with the big Burgess. Been playing in the magoos for the club these past few seasons and apparently the stalwart Reggie had had enough. I don't have too many close connections at the club however, so you may know more then I do? Just seems strange to me that they would appoint a President that not many would approve of at a club with such family depth throughout the generations eg Reggardo, Marsden, Carstairs

Gee sorry Swans Rampage didnt realise you are so involved with lakes i was only posting something i had been told by 2 very high profile club members thats all, and i was also just putting my thoughts through on what i think lakes should do regarding a coach.

My understanding is Rod Bills played footy at Lakes for several years including the '88 flag before heading into Bairnsdale to play in the major league in the 90's. He might have played a couple of seasons back at Lakes then took up the coaching gig at Orbost and won that flag you speak of. May have won the flag there the year after as a player too. From what I hear, he was a very reasonable footballer in his own right with a good knowledge of the game.

A non playing coach might be exactly what Lakes need with such a young group of players. Bairnsdale have gone that way, Lindenow and Wy Yung both went that way with success. Maffra have gone that way again. Moe look to have gone that way. Boisdale, Rosedale, the list goes on. There is a movement in country footy circles now to appoint the best 'coach' available for the club and not necessarily the best player available and make them coach.

If you hadn't heard of Rod Bills, I gather you don't know too much about East Gippsland Footy or the Lakes Footy Club in general. Perhaps your 'insiders' should have given you a little more info.

Orbost still yet to appoint a coach. Pretty difficult down there as there are not too many reasons for people to come to town and the closest clubs to poach from are Lakes, Buchan and Bruthen. No club wants to raid the Omeo clubs as they need all the help they can get, while getting a Lakes bloke to Orbost these days would be a huge effort. Rod Bills [Orbost 1996] and Kevin Stevens [Snowy 1998/99] are probably exceptions to the rule [reasonable dollars in those days too I've heard]. The club will continue to battle unless there is some new industies built up in the region.

Haven't heard much about the training track of the clubs. Has anyone started? How are the numbers? Are Bairnsdale going to snare any more East Gippy players or simply promote their 2011 thirds players for 2012?

Always plenty happening.

Much news out of Bdale? Any big recruits from out of the area or players heading in there from EG Clubs?

Saw a clearnace for Bayden Ashwood from Lindenow into the Redlegs in what might be a shifty move by both clubs which will allow Justin Blair to head to the Cats. Was probably a little sneaky by both clubs initially to sign each player for two season, however it seems contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

Any news re practice matches coming up?

Rosedale are playing Lakes Entrance in March and heard Sale City are looking for someone down this way to smash in a praccy match.

Luke Borley has taken on the Senior Coaching job at Orbost in his own right. He was joint senior coach last year with Col McDonald. McDonald will potentially stay on with the club in some role however will probably not be involved with coaching on Saturdays.

Only Borley and Paris (Lucknow) will be playing coaches in EG in 2012.

The Bills boys could play a bit. I was only a young bloke at the time but I remember Glen Bills being the better of the two. In fact, I'm pretty sure he won the League B&F in the late 90's.

Gags BROMAGE 48 possesions in WAFL Grand final- Sensational performance

48 possessions? Where did you hear that? He won the Sandover Medal (League B&F) and Simpson Medal (BOG in the WAFL GF) in 1998 but I don't think he ended up with anywhere near 48 possessions in the GF.

What I can tell you, is that he was tagged by former Lakes lad, Bryce Steele, in that Grand Final!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still not much happening on this thread.

Few rumours hitting the area recently.

Orbost are in a bit fo strife player wise with double figures on the track very rare at this stage. Paynesville are throwing the money around targetting unproven young players from other EG clubs with big bucks. Bit of angst between Lucknow and Bdale in regards to Bdales hounding of players in an attempt to recruit them. Lakes look set to lose Dino Ryan to Bdale. Lindenow may have a couple of big name clearances leaving in the coming weeks. Bdale have a very limited number of senior players training and will struggle to fill the 35 spots on the senior list.

Might all be rumours.

Hi

I live in Melbourne and am playing footy up in the country this year and heard a rumour about a group of country players from different leagues training together at Gosch's Paddock in Richmond.
1. Is this true?
2. If so, can anyone train there?
3. What times do they train?

Cheers

Hi

I live in Melbourne and am playing footy up in the country this year and heard a rumour about a group of country players from different leagues training together at Gosch's Paddock in Richmond.
1. Is this true?
2. If so, can anyone train there?
3. What times do they train?

Cheers

It's a pretty elite group of finely tuned athletes, with strict training regimes and high expectations.

Anyone got any news from practice matches?

I've heard that Cowwarr beat Lindenow convincingly last weekend and Rosedale did the same to Lakes. Orbost and Paynesville played eachother in a close game. Stratford went ok against Boisdale.

Yesterday Gormandale beat Lucknow by a goal, Boisdale beat Lakes and Orbost beat Bruthen.

Any news out of WyYung? Seem to have been quiet in the off season.

Pretty sure Tim Light is playing with Gormandale.

Congratulations to Stratford on their first win in the EGFL beating Orbost by 7-8 goals. Lucknow and Paynesville seem to be the in form teams early on in the year, which is great for the competition. Haven't seen a major blowout yet in the Seniors with all teams having claims on playing finals footy this season.

Went to go watch the Grand Final rematch last Saturday at Tigerland. Game was all over the shop all day which showed on the scoreboard. Lindenow had the play in the first half and by half time led by about 40 points with Wy Yung yet to even kick a goal. Booey wasn't pleased as you could imagine but was still pretty positive that the game was still in reach and he was right with the Tigers playing much better footy in the second half and keeping the Cats goalless in the last to run away 2 goal winners. The margin should have been much higher but the Tigers missed a lot of gettable goals in the last kicking at least 4 or 5 points from what should have been easy goals.

Bairnsdale had the week off so all the Redleg players were back like Ashwood, Kyle, Perrin, Storer so plenty of quality players in the match. Standout for me and rightly named best-on was young Shaun Wyatt for the Cats. Been playing in the VFL reserves out at Williamstown this year after missing out on being drafted last year after captaining Gippy Power.

Not sure how this season will pan out. Going to have to go for the Tigers at this stage as flag favourites, then probably Lindenow. Lucknow are capable of doing damage come finals time yet I'm not sure how they got thrashed by the Bost on the weekend. They have signed up a few new boys like Rees from Swan Reach and along with Paynesville have shown they can match it with the best. Yet then there still is Lakes who are more then capable of holding down a top 4 position this year too.

Going to go watch Lucknow take on Wy Yung this weekend to try and get a grasp on how good Lucknow can actually be and if they are a realistic chance of playing finals footy this year

Hows the finals looking down in the east? who will win looks to be any off the top 4 teams could win will be an intresting finals series.
On another note have heard theres alot off unhappy players/supporters/sponsors down in lakes entrance due to the president stuffing the club up can anyone else heard this?
Have heard the word is if he is president again next year they will lose alot of players and supporters and a major sponsor hav been told he is hated by alot the way he thinks he owns the club must say i watched a game there this year and saw him walking around with his chest pumped out and also been told there was a massive argument between him and the senior coach due to the president wanting to play footy instead of running the sponsors day surely this block still cant get a kick when at cowwarr you were s**t sounds like you should pull your head in and resign from the job because your stuffing what was a great club.

Was a pretty good weekend of football in East Gippy for the semi finals. Games generally went as expected although the extra time thriller in the reserves on Sunday added a bit of spice to the weekend.

On Saturday it was a tough battle with Lindenow coming out on top at the final siren. WyYung will be ruing a number of missed opportuinities in the first and second term which probably should have had them in front. Even late in the game they had chances but couldn't capitalise. Maybe the pressure of the Cats was the reason, maybe the ocassion. Either way they will have to adress it if they are one - going to make it and two - going to win it.

Sunday Lucknow were generally just too good for the Gulls. They had a number of Bairnsdale blokes qualify during the year and that added to their strength. Might be a surprise winner next weekend?
Paynesville will be disappointed in the season finishing fourth with the amount of money they are rumoured to have spent and certainly offered to players during the season.

The twos were won by Lakes and Paynesville. The Lakes Stratty game was a blow out but the score probably doesn't reflect how close these two teams are or can be. The Sunday game saw Paynesville come back from a five goal deficit half way through the last to snare a draw and then get the points in the extra time. Could they pip Stratty next weekend?

The Thirds were won by Lakes just and by WyYung easy. One would assume that Stratty will win next week and have another crack at Lakes.

Stratty have six sides playing this week in the Preliminary Final which is a great effort for one club and for their first year in East Gippy. Lakes have four sides through to the Grand Final already with their A Grade playnig in the Prelim this week. Also a great effort. Other teams through are Lindenow (Sen), WyYung (A), Lindenow (C Res) and WyYung (D).

Any coaching news in the east yet? hope lakes have pissed that useless president off so the club can get back to normal

Stratford are putting a serious side of topliners together at the moment.

Corey Scholtes, Dave Mclay, Joel Brayshaw, Lachy Channing, Kaine Allen are all A graders

Add to that Jarryd Clohesy, Gavin Bickery, Lewis Bolton, Josh Kiss and Jack Bacon who are all capable at better levels and they have some great talent that would have left them in good hands at a higher level.

Wouldn't surprise me if Tye Morrison ends up back there as well...Its good to see that after making the hard call that the club seems to be going from strength to strength each year its in the EGFNL. Credit to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back