Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

Remove this Banner Ad

Port had their chance in 2020 with a weeks break and still lost to Richmond in PF at home. Then a year later had a similar opportunity and got obliterated by the Dogs.

For whatever reason multiple Vic teams in the last 15-years have been able to peak during finals, whilst barring the Eagles the non-Vic teams haven’t been able to play their best footy at the business end.

Blaming some imaginary Victorian bias is easier than looking in the mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Might have been for the best though, they could have had another 119 point belting by Melbourne this time.

Im sorry we locked you out of your own league GF.
Im sorry we broke you in doing so.
Im sorry Ron Barassi got worked up about it.
Im sorry we forced you to hold an inquiry.
Im sorry we made you look in that mirror.
Im sorry we made you be better.
Im also sorry that my bog average team has achieved more in its 26 year AFL existence than your leagues biggest club has done in the same 26 year period.

Im not sorry that we gladly accept your welfare payments, now be good minions and buy up those memberships, overpriced food, beer and merchandise, we love your contribution to us.

Im also sorry that my bog average team has achieved more in its 26 year AFL existence than your leagues biggest club has done in the same 26 year period.

Im not sorry that we gladly accept your welfare payments, now be good minions and buy up those memberships, overpriced food, beer and merchandise, we love your contribution to us.
Thanks mate, I needed to hear that.

Why dont you include 2007 to 2016?

Because the period that instigated a review was 2001-2006 … a 6-year period of non-Vic domination. So I took an equivalent 6-year period… which showed something not even in the same ballpark in respect to any overall struggle for non-Vic teams. Given Port made a GF in 2007, Swans won a GF in 2012 and Freo, Eagles and Sydney (2 x runners-up) all made GF’s in that period I’d suggest it wouldn’t tell us much.

Any numbers would also be skewed from the fledgling clubs of GWS and Gold Coast anchored to the bottom for the first 3-4 seasons of their existence.

And a review has been mentioned … but what was implemented on the back of that review ? It’s a serious question as I wasn’t aware of any wide-ranging review at the time and not aware of any changes made to drafting etc to benefit Vic teams..?? I do know that Sydney got Heeney and Mills (and others) from academy picks in the last decade so it obviously wasn’t that.

I also know being a Richmond supporter and trying to rebuild through the expansion teams, what should have been juicy high end draft picks through our really poor years slid well down, so that wasn’t much help either.

Because the period that instigated a review was 2001-2006 … a 6-year period of non-Vic domination. So I took an equivalent 6-year period… which showed something not even in the same ballpark in respect to any overall struggle for non-Vic teams. Given Port made a GF in 2007, Swans won a GF in 2012 and Freo, Eagles and Sydney (2 x runners-up) all made GF’s in that period I’d suggest it wouldn’t tell us much.

Any numbers would also be skewed from the fledgling clubs of GWS and Gold Coast anchored to the bottom for the first 3-4 seasons of their existence.

And a review has been mentioned … but what was implemented on the back of that review ? It’s a serious question as I wasn’t aware of any wide-ranging review at the time and not aware of any changes made to drafting etc to benefit Vic teams..?? I do know that Sydney got Heeney and Mills (and others) from academy picks in the last decade so it obviously wasn’t that.

I also know being a Richmond supporter and trying to rebuild through the expansion teams, what should have been juicy high end draft picks through our really poor years slid well down, so that wasn’t much help either.

Humour us and do it anyway.

I think the SANFL and its financial imposition on Port (and the Crows) and the ridiculous stadium deal both SA clubs at Adelaide Oval, and Port's own board is far more of a reason Port Adelaide have been underachievers (least with on field talent) over the past 10-15 years than the AFL or vic clubs generally.

I definitely feel like you have some legit grievances about AFL and it's admitted more favourable Vic policies (especially when it comes to fixturing, esp over free to air games) but it certainly shouldn't absolve Port of all its problems.

One thing that I am legitimately angry about and totally support PAFC angst was legendary Port legend Russell Ebert (the GOAT SA player) not being elevated to the Aussie Rules Hall of Fame as a legend when he was alive.

That is a shameful blight and pathetic oversight by the selection committee.

Port had their chance in 2020 with a weeks break and still lost to Richmond in PF at home. Then a year later had a similar opportunity and got obliterated by the Dogs.

For whatever reason multiple Vic teams in the last 15-years have been able to peak during finals, whilst barring the Eagles the non-Vic teams haven’t been able to play their best footy at the business end.

Blaming some imaginary Victorian bias is easier than looking in the mirror.

You could almost think it coincides with all the travel Interstate, Sorry, Non Vic teams do?

Wrong. Plenty of talent in WA. It's just we didn't know draft tampering was allowed until now. But we will be doing it from next year onwards.

GC and GWS 100% they don't have enough talent in those states.
Thats the thing they dont realise, west coast and freo would be happy to go by a state based recruiting system.

Wouldnt be very long before every single other team got very over it but.

Because it would be very unfair for the rest of the comp. Wed like to see a truly national comp with all teams treated equally.

Victorian kids should be the last to complain nearly in Victoria every second or third weekend. If you can't commit to a professional sport don't play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When i saw the heading of this thread i thought it was going to be in regards to Sydney. Is trying to blackmail a team into trading for your pick by threatening to bid on one of the other teams academy players if they dont accept the deal not tampering?

Speaking of WA clubs, Fremantle seem to be a much better job in the last 4 or so years/drafts of getting a mix better local and interstate aka vic kids than their noisy neighbour counterparts.

I would tread very carefully if I am West Coat trying to get too fixated on drafting local/WA lads only.

Speaking of WA clubs, Fremantle seem to be a much better job in the last 4 or so years/drafts of getting a mix better local and interstate aka vic kids than their noisy neighbour counterparts.

I would tread very carefully if I am West Coat trying to get too fixated on drafting local/WA lads only.
West Coast drafted two West Aussies, two Victorians and a South Australian. The idea that they were only recruiting WA talent because they thought all interstates would be homesick was only ever a media talking point. The issue was a couple at the top of the order had expressed reluctance to move. Those down the order are generally just happy to be drafted, not playing silly buggers about who and where.

Thats the thing they dont realise, west coast and freo would be happy to go by a state based recruiting system.

Wouldnt be very long before every single other team got very over it but.

Because it would be very unfair for the rest of the comp. Wed like to see a truly national comp with all teams treated equally.
there's something in a state-based academy approach to the draft.

i.e say Ginbey was picked by the Dons. And he nominates a preference to stay in his home state.
Eagles can match the picks/points as the next 'home' state team with a pick....but pick has to be from that round (i.e. Freo have no access given no first rd pick).
You lose 8 & 12 slides back as a result, but you get the benefit of a "home" kid should you prefer that over what's left.
If no 12, 2nd rd is lost and future 1st is deducted any residual points.

Same example on Tsatas (pre-trade, say).
WCE pick Tsatas at 2. He's nominated vic. Essendon want him. so our pick matches. no other 1st rd so deficit comes off 22. anything left impacts F1.
If Ess pass, hawks get a chance, then cats, and so forth.

there's something in a state-based academy approach to the draft.

i.e say Ginbey was picked by the Dons. And he nominates a preference to stay in his home state.
Eagles can match the picks/points as the next 'home' state team with a pick....but pick has to be from that round (i.e. Freo have no access given no first rd pick).
You lose 8 & 12 slides back as a result, but you get the benefit of a "home" kid should you prefer that over what's left.
If no 12, 2nd rd is lost and future 1st is deducted any residual points.

Same example on Tsatas (pre-trade, say).
WCE pick Tsatas at 2. He's nominated vic. Essendon want him. so our pick matches. no other 1st rd so deficit comes off 22. anything left impacts F1.
If Ess pass, hawks get a chance, then cats, and so forth.
Id like to see the afl put a hell of a lot more money into footy up in northern wa.

Theres an absolute untapped goldmine up there of riolis, krakouers, jettas etc style players.

I work up there a fair bit and you can be driving through and see aboriginal kids running round with all that talent. I pull the truck up and its pure footy.

We complain about the watering down as a result of expansion but there is enough talent up there to make up for it ten times over.

What there isnt, is kids with resilience and confidence. Id like to see the AFL partner with the state government and the schools and massively turbocharge the Clontarf academy. Get as many ex afl current indigenous players and any whitefulla players who want to help doing clinics and using it to help kids through school and into better lives.

The AFL could easily get the feds and state government to fund this and every club could be a beneficiary.

What's the actual AFL rule when it comes to Draft tampering by a player?

Does it come under section 4.9 and 2.3 where the AFL deems your actions bring the game into disrepute there by they cancel your draft nomination?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back