Teams Dolphins

Remove this Banner Ad

I found this part very interesting. If they've got approximately 30k dedicated fans heading down from the Moreton Bay with huge potential to grow their fanbase into the northern suburbs of Brisbane as well as the Sunshine Coast then we're potentially looking at a juggernaut of a club in the making.
Moreton Bay population around 500k.

Redcliffe within only about 10k or so.

Moreton Bay and up thru Sunshine Coast exploding in growth rates.

Moreton Bay population around 500k.

Redcliffe within only about 10k or so.

Moreton Bay and up thru Sunshine Coast exploding in growth rates.
Yes and they've probably got close to 1 million people in northern Brisbane that they could tap into as well. I think this was part of the reason they chose to simply call themselves "Dolphins" instead of nailing down to one specific town/area. Theoretically anyone can be a Dolphins fan because they don't necessarily represent just one area.

Yes and they've probably got close to 1 million people in northern Brisbane that they could tap into as well. I think this was part of the reason they chose to simply call themselves "Dolphins" instead of nailing down to one specific town/area. Theoretically anyone can be a Dolphins fan because they don't necessarily represent just one area.
Still need a name imo.
Doesnt have to be some all encompassing name like GWS etc because its ridiculous. Small suburban names like Essendon, Collingwood, Parramatta become famous and fans from all over the city, state, world

Still need a name imo.
Doesnt have to be some all encompassing name like GWS etc because its ridiculous. Small suburban names like Essendon, Collingwood, Parramatta become famous and fans from all over the city, state, world
I guess we'll see if they deem it necessary to officially name the team but for now it's just "Dolphins". Maybe they could just go with something really generic like North Dolphins?

In regards to articles posted recently about the QLD cup stipulations on name, NRL multi-affiliates, and Dolphins turning down Moreton Bay council proposing the use of the MB name.....

It makes sense now why they went with "the Dolphins" if it's just a temporary non-name in lieu of the QLD Cup collapsing, and/or, the formalization of an NRL Reserves league, and then they can rename themselves Redcliffe Dolphins.

If they went with MB Dolphins the name would stick and they couldn't switch back.

Remember, this club is extremely proud, and have always dreamed of moving into higher competitive leagues. They fought for the rights to the Dolphins name when GC proposed that name, and you'd imagine they'd be just as proud and adamant about the name "Redcliffe" too.

So "the" is a mere placeholder till the QLD cup dissolves and a true NRL reserves or feeder league is established so they can officially resume using the name.

So is this bit really likely to happen in the near future?
Would seem so imo.

Apparently, from an article i read on LU, the QLD Cup wouldn't allow the Dolphins to have a team in the NRL and in the QLD cup both using the name Redcliffe Dolphins.

Saying....either leave the QLD cup comp altogether if you're being promoted up to the NRL and call yourselves Redcliffe Dolphins, or, if you're keeping a Redcliffe Dolphins in the QLD Cup, then use a different name in the NRL.

Another option could be to change the QLD cup team name and use Redcliffe in NRL.

But, based on another article I read on LU, the idea to have a true NRL Reserves comp could force the issue, with Redcliffe Dolphins in QC being promoted up to the NRL Reserves, so the "the Dolphins" NRL team could resume using Redcliffe Dolphins name too.

It saves money to not give nrl reserves.
Anyway, congratulations on their first NRL victory. I am sure they will be far more successful than the Crushers where from 95 to 97.
It is also a real honour to the other clubs from the old Brisbane competition that until 1988 was very popular , much like the WAFL and SANFL where.

In regards to articles posted recently about the QLD cup stipulations on name, NRL multi-affiliates, and Dolphins turning down Moreton Bay council proposing the use of the MB name.....

It makes sense now why they went with "the Dolphins" if it's just a temporary non-name in lieu of the QLD Cup collapsing, and/or, the formalization of an NRL Reserves league, and then they can rename themselves Redcliffe Dolphins.

If they went with MB Dolphins the name would stick and they couldn't switch back.

Remember, this club is extremely proud, and have always dreamed of moving into higher competitive leagues. They fought for the rights to the Dolphins name when GC proposed that name, and you'd imagine they'd be just as proud and adamant about the name "Redcliffe" too.

So "the" is a mere placeholder till the QLD cup dissolves and a true NRL reserves or feeder league is established so they can officially resume using the name.
So you're saying the plan is to eventually call themselves "Redcliffe Dolphins" at the NRL level? I just assumed the reference to Redcliffe wasn't added because they feared isolating potential fans based in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast but maybe that's not the case at all. Maybe it's also convenient to just simply be the Dolphins while they build their initial NRL fanbase and then when they switch back to Redcliffe Dolphins they will already have a solid fanbase in Brisbane/Sunshine Coast and any isolation fears will be drastically minimised.

So you're saying the plan is to eventually call themselves "Redcliffe Dolphins" at the NRL level? I just assumed the reference to Redcliffe wasn't added because they feared isolating potential fans based in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast but maybe that's not the case at all. Maybe it's also convenient to just simply be the Dolphins while they build their initial NRL fanbase and then when they switch back to Redcliffe Dolphins they will already have a solid fanbase in Brisbane/Sunshine Coast and any isolation fears will be drastically minimised.
They’re building their brand. Hard to include the Sunshine Coast when the Falcons are still with the Melbourne Storm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re building their brand. Hard to include the Sunshine Coast when the Falcons are still with the Melbourne Storm.
I get the Falcons issue but the Dolphins are the ones that will actually be playing a home game on the Sunshine Coast in 2023, not the Storm. From 2023 onwards these Sunny Coast juniors will be going to Dolphins games and will dream of being a Dolphin one day. I suspect the Falcons will cut ties with the Storm in the next year or two and will fall in line with the Dolphins' aspirations.

I get the Falcons issue but the Dolphins are the ones that will actually be playing a home game on the Sunshine Coast in 2023, not the Storm. From 2023 onwards these Sunny Coast juniors will be going to Dolphins games and will dream of being a Dolphin one day. I suspect the Falcons will cut ties with the Storm in the next year or two and will fall in line with the Dolphins' aspirations.

Completely agree. I’ve always said the Dolphins need to make the Sunshine Coast apart of their pod (see what I did there) I live on the Sunshine Coast and k can tell you the falcons and Storm relationship is very very strong.

Completely agree. I’ve always said the Dolphins need to make the Sunshine Coast apart of their pod (see what I did there) I live on the Sunshine Coast and k can tell you the falcons and Storm relationship is very very strong.
I guess it ties into the Lightning netball team up there as well so I'm not surprised the local affiliation with the Storm is strong. Give it a few years and once the Dolphins start playing finals I think you'll see a fair amount of them convert to what should be considered their local team. Think of Torquay and the way the people there support Geelong.

Kinda crazy to see the Dolphins are a $2.35 underdog for their second game against Canberra today. I assume most are expecting them to come crashing back to earth today and the Raiders experience to shine through but I actually think the Dolphins are going to win this one as well. They are playing at their spiritual home of Redcliffe for the first time and there's definitely something special about that. I expect another inspired performance for the Dolphins and there's a very good chance they will be placed at the top of the ladder at some point today if they get the W. Two Brisbane clubs at the top of the NRL ladder - who would have thought?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back