Opinion Do we want the indignity of a 27th spoon?

What would you prefer?

• Finish last for the #1 draft pick

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Avoid getting another wooden spoon

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do you guys care if we finish last and add a 27th wooden spoon to our collection if it means we get the #1 draft pick?

Personally, I would rather avoid the embarrassment and sometimes I'm not sure if the difference between the top 3 draft picks is that great.

Last edited:

A 27th spoon?

do-not-want-guy.jpg

Regardless of the #1 pick, we do not need another kitchen utensil

Regardless of what we want, I don't think we're bad enough to finish last (Read: Brisbane suck right now).

I wouldn't be so sure, it's hard to see winning many more games - maybe 1 or 2 upsets - due to our hard draw, whereas Brisbane have quite a few winnable games up at the Gabba. So I wouldn't be surprised if we both finished on say 4 wins, and then it could come down to percentage.

Honestly doesn't faze me, I'm too young to remember our previous spoons that clearly (im in my early 20s). Ladder position doesn't worry me, it is whether we build a strong development focused culture from top to bottom, with uniformity across the board. I'm confident we've got the right people in the right roles at the moment, which will hold us in good stead for the future. As far as the previous 26 spoons, I don't even think those should be valid anymore, given how different the game is now, relative to then. We're in a much better place to succeed, and I'm happy to cop a few bad years (like in the early 00's) as long as we make the right decisions allowing us to set up for another 10 year period of good challenging footy that hopefully brings a few premierships as well. It is all about the future now, wooden spoon or not, won't matter if we muck up the no1 or no2 or no3 pick.

How many of those are in the deep dark mists of history that none of us remember or were even alive for? It's like those Filth, Carltank and Essendope 'fans' that gloat about all the premierships their club won a long, long, long, long, long time ago.

As I said in another thread finishing last doesnt mean you get the best player in the draft. Selwood was pick 7 and Watts was pick one. We may not win another game. Matter of fact we would be outsiders in all atthe moment but I hope we do win as many as possible. And apart form the first pick the bottom side actually has worse picks than the top side so if you dont get much out of that pick then it means jack. if we had Watts at the moment I reckon we would have won 3 games and still be outsiders in the rest of the games this season.

I think we will finished bottom 2. Add in another 2/3 quality kids this year & a clever PSD selection.

Next year another bottom 3 finish, and another 3 quality kids, another PSD pick and maybe a free agent like Scott Selwood or Patty D.

We will have added another 14 players (inc Rookie upgrades)...most of which will be 1st & 2nd rounders.

We may also start to see the youngsters with a bit of trade currency at the end of 2015.

I think we will finished bottom 2. Add in another 2/3 quality kids this year & a clever PSD selection.

Next year another bottom 3 finish, and another 3 quality kids, another PSD pick and maybe a free agent like Scott Selwood or Patty D.

We will have added another 14 players (inc Rookie upgrades)...most of which will be 1st & 2nd rounders.

We may also start to see the youngsters with a bit of trade currency at the end of 2015.

Reckon the PSD is just about over in getting good players. Clubs dont like to use it now as it was used previously as you get a bad reputation as a non trader. You are right about the other picks though. The FA period will be very important for us either at the end of next year or the year after. It will depend when we finally bottom out. My guess is the end of 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't bother me. Only another "spoon" so the opposition fans can come up with more lame jokes.

If we get the spoon it just means we weren't good enough, still think it's likely we will avoid it though.

We finish where we finish, if it turns out we finish last there is no honour in it but it will gift us the top pick in the draft.

I don't mind us discussing the possibility of finishing last, but I don't condone us hoping to do so.

#^$% no. I want us to do as well as realistically possible, which this season is probably 12-13th.

And when was the last time a wooden spooner went on to win a flag? It's pretty much never.

Only exception is Brisbane who were coming off the Fitzroy merger and a raft of concessions.

dont really want to finish last but if we do, the timing is good with good talls available.

with richmond, essendon carlton all now appearing to not be contenders, they will probably start to tank, prefer to finish 15 to 18 to ensure a good pick tbh dont want a false dawn of 11th to 14th as we still need to rebuild

My understanding is that the first four picks are all good KPFs. The draft is certainly not my strong suit, so no idea on detail. But if I am correct I hope we finish bottom four and start trying to fill the gap that exists and will get bigger in our forward line.

Redundant as Brisbane have the spoon sewn up. We finish where we finish.

IMO - I think we will finish either 17th or 16th due to our draw and the injuries we've had so far. What that means is that we get more games into the young kids and we will get 2 more great draft picks (2/3 and 20-24) to add to our list.

Look at Sam Day - just read an article about him. He is only now starting to impact games and kicking goals etc. He is playing his 50th game for Gold Coast today against us. 13 of our kids have played between 1 and 35 games....

I can't believe 6 people have voted they'd prefer to get the spoon. There's no standout no. 1 this year and even if there was we are just as likely to get a gun at pick 2. How could you prefer finishing last over literally any other position including 15/16/17

Last edited:
If we go out there each week and simply aren't good enough on the day to win and finish last, then it's a deserved spoon and we continue trying to get back up. If we engineer / invent a spoon ala Melbourne then no.

Back